Life and Teaching of the Masters of the far East

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the far East

Postby Taylor-C » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:20 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Teaching-Mas ... 0875165389

Very grounding and humbling experience reading these books, only up to #3.
Taylor-C

Re: Life and Teaching of the Masters of the far East

Postby rideforever » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:14 pm

I was reading the reviews on Amazon and noticed that there were 12 reviews with 1 star who seem to have a well-founded idea that the books are a hoax created in order to make some money by Spalding, and there are at least 2 quoted witnesses to this fact who knew Spalding personally. (sorry if that sounds a bit negative)

I wonder if it would not be better to read the testimony of the masters themselves rather than 2nd hand ?

Also wanted to say that it seems that the masters are mostly trying to make us realise that we are just like them ... with the possibility for transformation. I am not sure if humbled is a good way to approach it ... you can spend your days considering them to be above you ... or you can "understand" their message and undertake for yourself the journey to their place.

I am not sure what the use of spending time thinking they are above you is ... it's a waste of time because the no longer play those games, if you see what I mean. And it's a waste of your time ... it's a bit like living in a dream where you think you are not good enough.

Do or do not. There is no try.

... sorry to mention Osho again, but HE knew the masters of the East and West and his understanding is of one master's to another - it is not a layman's understanding.

On the master Bodhidharma for instance there is a lecture series 20 x 2hrs = 40 hrs. You will not find better than this anywhere ... except Bodhidharma's own lecture.

On Jesus there must be 3 times as much.

With Osho, after you listen it will penetrate you. You will become the knowledge - rather than be humbled by it. I commend it to you.

Bodhidharma, Jesus, Mahavira, Maharshi, Nisargadatta, UG Krishnamurti, J Krishnamurti, Papagi, Gangaji, All-the-other-gis ... is there anybody he didn't cover !!!!

Osho is a truly truly truly EPIC Being.

And because of his tremendous compassion he also told the best jokes.

My God ... there is no end to his greatness !!!!!!

Messages from the Masters ; http://www.messagefrommasters.com/
Last edited by rideforever on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby kiki » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:10 pm

I hope people won't be dissuaded by the controversy that swirled around Osho, or what he was first known as, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. He was one of the first teachers I encountered after learning TM in 1973 and I couldn't make head nor tails of what he was talking about, but I sensed there was something to what he was saying. At the time I didn't understand much of it. After coming across Tolle suddenly he made total sense, and I found him to be one of the clearest and funniest "spiritual" people out there.

One of his books I have is The Book of Secrets, which is over 1100 pages crammed full of wonderful teachings, but is currently listed on Amazon with an equally hefty price of nearly $90 (I think I paid around $35 for it about 10 years ago). Everything he said in satsang was recorded, and these recordings were transcribed and turned into books, most of which weren't in print when I bought The Book of Secrets. I suspect that book is the source material of many of the shorter books you will find in bookstores today.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby rideforever » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:32 pm

I have that one !!! I was just looking at it the other day reading about a meditation "Merging into the Darkness" ... wonderful
rideforever

Postby runstrails » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:43 pm

I enjoy reading OSHO too. Such a goofy guy though!
There a lot of free stuff written by OSHO on this site: http://www.messagefrommasters.com/Life_ ... o/Osho.htm
On that site, there is also free stuff written by other teachers as well (Ramana, Krishnamurthy, Shankaracharya etc.)
runstrails

Postby Taylor-C » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:55 am

rideforever wrote:I was reading the reviews on Amazon and noticed that there were 12 reviews with 1 star who seem to have a well-founded idea that the books are a hoax created in order to make some money by Spalding, and there are at least 2 quoted witnesses to this fact who knew Spalding personally. (sorry if that sounds a bit negative)

I wonder if it would not be better to read the testimony of the masters themselves rather than 2nd hand ?

Also wanted to say that it seems that the masters are mostly trying to make us realise that we are just like them ... with the possibility for transformation. I am not sure if humbled is a good way to approach it ... you can spend your days considering them to be above you ... or you can "understand" their message and undertake for yourself the journey to their place.

I am not sure what the use of spending time thinking they are above you is ... it's a waste of time because the no longer play those games, if you see what I mean. And it's a waste of your time ... it's a bit like living in a dream where you think you are not good enough.

... sorry to mention Osho again, but HE knew the masters of the East and West and his understanding is of one master's to another - it is not a layman's understanding.

On the master Bodhidharma for instance there is a lecture series 20 x 2hrs = 40 hrs. You will not find better than this anywhere ... except Bodhidharma's own lecture.

With Osho, after you listen it will penetrate you. You will become the knowledge - rather than be humbled by it. I commend it to you.

Bodhidharma, Jesus, Mahavira, Maharshi, Nisargadatta, UG Krishnamurti, J Krishnamurti, Papagi, Gangaji, All-the-other-gis ... is there anybody he didn't cover !!!!

And because of his tremendous compassion he also told the best jokes.

Messages from the Masters ; http://www.messagefrommasters.com/

Oh thank you! I've never read any of Osho's stuff before, I'll have a look into it.

Was not aware of any testaments by the "Masters" either, so I'll have a look at that link :)

Haha, upon clicking that link, I have listened to Osho before! I've listened to one of his breathing meditations which I noticed a difference right away. I love this place!
Taylor-C

Postby smiileyjen101 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:51 am

Just noticing...pondering... musing... playing...

rideforever wrote:
I was reading the reviews on Amazon and noticed that there were 12 reviews with 1 star who seem to have a well-founded idea that the books are a hoax created in order to make some money by Spalding, and there are at least 2 quoted witnesses to this fact who knew Spalding personally. (sorry if that sounds a bit negative)

Kiki wrote: I hope people won't be dissuaded by the controversy that swirled around Osho, or what he was first known as, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh

So, there are some that would speak against Spalding (whoever he might be) and some that would speak against Osho (whoever he might be) and - intentionally taking this out of context, but you'll see the link

at least that many who called him a hoax and worse too.

Somehow I'm kinda figuring that all of them might follow a notion of

(I am, you are)
Neither a saint,
Nor a sinner.
Be.

Also wanted to say that it seems that the masters are mostly trying to make us realise that we are just like them

understanding is of one master's to another - it is not a layman's understanding.

What denotes 'layman' as different to 'master' if not humility and it's equal, pride?

Without false pride and false humility, there is no end to his greatness, nor yours, nor this Spalding person, nor any other..... Yes :?:
If Osho or anyone else has made you realise you are just like them, it just stands to reason, doesn't it?

humour of course is arbitrary, - subject to individual will or judgment without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion: - as is humility and pride and preference and perspective

:P
:wink:
:P
Just playin' with proud humility and humble pride Master Ride, Master Taylor-C, Master Kiki, Master Trails :D

Namaste, Master Smiles :lol:

Hahahahaha! Just posted this and realised it's April 1
Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:51 am

.... Happy Fools Day!!!!
In Scotland, April Fools' Day is traditionally called Hunt-the-Gowk Day ("gowk" is Scots for a cuckoo or a foolish person), although this name has fallen into disuse. The traditional prank is to ask someone to deliver a sealed message requesting help of some sort. In fact, the message reads "Dinna laugh, dinna smile. Hunt the gowk another mile". The recipient, upon reading it, will explain he can only help if he first contacts another person, and sends the victim to this person with an identical message, with the same result ... from Wiki

In many ways, isn't this what we do to ourselves, not realising the 'lost' person and the 'salvation' person are one and the same. It's not the lives of another that make us wise, it's the living of our own.

ah the bitter-sweet, seriously-funny truth of it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krb2OdQksMc
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby rideforever » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:32 am

SJ, there comes a times for discrimination. To choose.

You enjoy the dancing around picking holes in things ... but actually I think that's become a bit of pattern for you to do this dance, it's a safe place.

But I sense that inside you have made your choices. Whether you reveal them, talk about them or acknowledge them.
rideforever

Postby smiileyjen101 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:07 pm

(I am, you are)
Neither a saint,
Nor a sinner.
Be.

Equilibrium is not so much a choice of an individual, it's more like growing into awareness of the totality of experience and yes, once aware dancing across the whole spectrum of life.

Sometimes holes torn in a thing allows light to flow through. Can the sudden appearance of light blind one and make one uncomfortable in their senses for a little while until they adjust, absolutely!! And that's okay too.
(She says, literally having just bumped into a wall in the darkness rather than turn the light on & disturb others)
and then 'fell' on this when a light was turned on...
Remember this: Every decision you make stems from what you think you are, and represents the value that you put upon yourself. A course in miracles
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby rideforever » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:35 pm

I seek not equilibrium but surrender ... surrender is a choice to no longer dance around but choose truth ... choose love ... no more poking of holes ... too busy now with the real

Recently my approach to "you are what you think" has changed ... now I want to be in no-mind constantly ... all the manipulation of thinking that makes up psychology, PMA, LOA, COM etc... I think is wrong ... there is no real - in thought ... there is no god - in thought .. there is no solution - in thought ... I choose no-thought ... that is the answer

no-thought, no-mind
rideforever

Return to Recommended Books