Hi looking for good introductory books on Taoism

Hi looking for good introductory books on Taoism

Postby marvin2k » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 am

Hi there , I know that Buddhism and Taoism are seperate , but I was hoping that maybe someone could recommend me some good , easy introductory reading on Taoism that isnt too scholarly or esoteric/abstract , so far I have been reading the Tao of pooh and a translation of the Tao Te Ching , thanks
marvin2k

Re: Hi looking for good introductory books on Taoism

Postby rideforever » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:20 am

I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby ashley72 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 am

Marvin,

You can get plenty of introductory information about the Tao online.

Here is an example of such writings:

http://daodejingle.net/jimztao.html

I was fascinated by the idea of the Tao and read widely on this subject.

What I discovered was that it all breaks down to the idea of two domains in respect to the human condition.

A primary domain and a target domain exist. The primary domain is everything that is non-symbolic, the target domain is everything that is symbolic.

Lao Tzu begins the Book of Tao by telling us that the Tao, the absolute, cannot be defined with words. He says we must look for it.

The other clue, Names did not exist prior to Creation. The nameless Tao is therefore the source of the universe.

When a child is born is starts life empty of symbols. It holds no concepts in its human brain. As it grows it accumulates symbols & concept as it learns from its parents, teachers etc about symbolism. This symbolism is the target domain.

This mapping from the primary domain to the target domain is achieved by our ability to create metaphors or analogies about the world.

Have you ever noticed that all concepts in this target domain are dual-pairs?

Happy or Sad, On or Off, Up or Down

Eckhart Tolle is a big fan of Taoist philosophy.

Eckhart Tolle says: The inner equivalent to 'objects' in space such as furniture, walls, and so on are your mind objects: thoughts, emotions, and the objects of the senses. And the inner equivalent of 'space' is the consciousness that enables your mind objects to be, just as space allows all things to be - so if you withdraw attention from things - objects in space - you automatically withdraw attention from your mind objects as well. In other words, you cannot think and be aware of space - or of silence for that matter simultaneously. By becoming aware of the empty space around you, you simultaneously become aware of the mind space of no-mind, of pure consciousness: the unmanifested. This is how the contemplation of space can become a portal for you.

The "Things" Tolle refers to are symbols which reside only in the target domain. Tolle is trying to get you to see deeper than the target domain!

In fact, Tolle's..... "Pure Consciousness" is just another name for the Tao (which can't be named). :lol: Which I refer to as the primary domain or non-symbolic realm.
ashley72

Postby Yutso » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Wonderful post Ashley72. Really helped clarify some things for me regarding Taoism.

Here's is another easy read Marvin, http://www.amazon.com/The-Parents-Tao-T ... 1569246629.
Yutso

Postby AlohaFriends » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Wayne Dyer's Change your Thoughts-Change your Life.

He interpreted Dao De Jing's 81 verses into clear English.
AlohaFriends

Return to Recommended Books