Awakening to the Obvious - Adyashakti

Awakening to the Obvious - Adyashakti

Postby Sighclone » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:07 pm

Yup, that's not Adyashanti. Adysahakti is Mark Canter, formerly Senior Editor at Men's Health, and other positions. Absolutely great book with many references to the Heart-side of awakening. Includes some comments on living and dying, sex, and life after awakening. Beautifully written, wonderful footnotes, exhaustive but not intrusive research. Rare and special, and also cheap -- $5 on Amazon for the Kindle version...treat yourself!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Re: Awakening to the Obvious - Adyashakti

Postby runstrails » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:01 am

Reading it now and really enjoying it! Wanted to add that is apprx. $3.83 on Google Books. That's cheaper than your average latte.
Thanks, Andy.
runstrails

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks Andy for a great tip. I've read the intro and the first couple of chapters. So far I love this book. Beautiful, clear, feels right.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby KathleenBrugger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:10 pm

Thanks Andy I'm also looking forward to reading it. You are a phenomenal book resource (among other things)!
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby Sighclone » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 am

Glad to help anyone. And particularly hope others read your book, Kathleen -- I have sent it out to several. I see that Rick Archer (batgap.com) has not interviewed him...nor has he interviewed Ken Wilber. I have not been a fan of Ken Wilber and still find him fully capable of blossoming into Big Ego on short notice. But I'm now reading the third of his 25 books, this one is "One Taste" -- essentially a mid-life autobiography, and have grown to respect him more for his own spiritual development, candor and some interesting opinions on excellence, critical thinking and art. There was so much patronizing phrasing in "Up from Eden," that the message was partly lost in the offensive tone...and the artfully torn jeans in his Wikipedia photo make me wonder - he is an enigma. I'll post something later.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby KathleenBrugger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:06 pm

Sighclone wrote:.and the artfully torn jeans in his Wikipedia photo make me wonder - he is an enigma. I'll post something later.

Andy

:D Look forward to your review! Just read the preface to Adyashakti's book last night (free on Amazon) and it's very intriguing.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby runstrails » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:19 am

I finished the book (Awakening to the Obvious by Adyashakti) a couple days ago and just loved it. Mark Canter is an excellent writer and provides a comprehensive perspective on the subject. He's familiar with Zen, Adviata, Buddhism etc.. But he also has a contemporary perspective on them. He's a typical guy with a mortage, a career, a wife and two kids and he's awakened. I enjoyed his matter-of-fact take on awakening and I resonated with nearly everything he wrote. His approach is very much like we have on the forum--take what resonates from diverse teachings and use it to aid your self-inquiry. And there is real wisdom and deep insight in his elegant prose. I also really resonated with the fact that he tries hard to de-mystify awakening--the title is Awakening to the Obvious, after all. This might well be my favorite book on the subject. Thanks, Andy.
runstrails

Postby Sighclone » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:03 am

I felt pretty much the same way...he touches on topics most don't and in a very candid but also elegant way. I asked Rick Archer to interview him and he said he would put him on the list. With guys like this around, I'm thinking we can tiptoe out into the mainstream a bit more...how many nonduality books are page-turners?? (Yes, ET could do that also...)

Andy
Sighclone

Return to Recommended Books