"Resurrecting Jesus" by Adyashanti

"Resurrecting Jesus" by Adyashanti

Postby Sighclone » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:41 pm

“Resurrecting Jesus” is Adyashanti’s latest book. He reframes many of the famous stories from the Gospels in nondual/awakening terms, plus a final chapter on archetypes. And he pretty much ignores most of the canonical law which has emerged from the Bible. He also casts Jesus as a revolutionary, contrasting the version in Mark with that in John. In insisting on the mythical/symbolic meaning of the scriptures, he is not original, although his interpretation of many stories is new. He also references Eckhart Tolle’s “pain-body” and relates it to the story of Legion. And he recalls the “divine witness” in reference to the style of the Gospel of John. He goes on about redemption as it relates to awakening, and also the transfiguration as a symbol of unity. But my favorite passage is on page 175 in which he makes a refined distinction between the egoic identity and the personal self. Apologies to Sounds True and Adya for this lengthy excerpt – I believe it still falls within the “fair use” doctrine:
Now self is not an easy thing to define. Ego is easy – it’s the whole host of conditioned views, opinions, and distorted perceptions – but self is something different. If you think of self as a verb, you can see that it’s something that happens within consciousness. Self is the act of consciousness turning back upon itself and reflecting within. That self-reflection is what self is. Self is not a thing; it’s literally the act of consciousness turning back and looking within. Now when one is very unified within, then there’s no friction and no conflict, and what we experience inside is a great sense of peace and ease and well-being. In other words, there is nothing at odds within you or between you and the world, and everything is at peace. What the arc of consciousness turns and reflects upon inside is a deep state of peacefulness and ease and radiance.
But at some point in our spiritual evolution, that arc of self stops turning to look within. Why it stops turning is a hard thing to explain; that cessation is a form of maturity, the ultimate spiritual growing up. When consciousness stops turning in to reflect, all of a sudden there;s no sense of a personal self, because the personal self is what self looks at. In an advanced state of spiritual development, what our self is is that state of peace and rest and ease, that radiance of consciousness. It’s a very elevated sense of our own being. But when consciousness stops turning and looking within and reflecting upon the peaceful center, then the sense of self disappears altogether. Then we’ve moved beyond identity altogether…From the moment when consciousness stops turning back on itself, there is no more personal sense of self or a personal relationship with God….What I am describing is experiential; there’s nothing abstract about it…The loss of self is not like transcending the ego. The ego is painful and conflicted, and it’s a relief to leave it behind, but by the time self begins to fall away, your sense of yourself is radiant. What you’re losing, then, is really the most beautiful thing you’ve ever experienced, the most beautiful thing you’ve ever known…After the transfiguration, your connection with God is so deep it feels as if you’re merged, and there’s no sense of separation between you and God. To have that intimacy suddenly disappear is an immense transition, and this is graphically portrayed in the crucifixion.

Deep stuff. Most of the rest of the book is easier to understand. Highly recommended.
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Re: "Resurrecting Jesus" by Adyashanti

Postby runstrails » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:18 am

Thanks, Andy. Will it appeal to those who are not particularly familiar with Christianity?
runstrails

Postby Onceler » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:20 am

Thanks, Andy. Really nice quote from the book. It gave me a lot to chew on this morning.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Sighclone » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi rt -

This book would probably less interesting for those not familiar with Christianity.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Thank you Andy. I love to read quotes like this. It opens my mind to how much potential there is beyond my current experience. To quote Jen ... yum!

Love

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Return to Recommended Books