Learning to Love Yourself

Learning to Love Yourself

Postby Enlightened2B » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:29 pm

I'm part way through this book and it's an INCREDIBLE Self Love read. Self Love is a missing aspect of the human experience.

It's a human aspect to embracing ourselves which is ultimately the form of unconditional love, when we start to accept ourselves and stop beating ourselves.

I'm actually listening to the audio book which has a lot more emotion expressed in it through the author's voice.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Love-Yourself-Hendricks-Ph-D/dp/1439274290/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
Enlightened2B

Re: Learning to Love Yourself

Postby smiileyjen101 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:01 am

I read this in a review & would love your angle on it E2B -
Hard for me to get through some parts, as the talk about the energy and light and vibrations and feeling bliss was a bit too "woo-woo" for me to appreciate. But the vast majority of the book was really on point, insightful, informative and worthwhile. It is a slim book but took me significant time to read - it hit me hard and gave me a lot to think about. I'll be re-reading this a few times.

It sounds like this reviewer has been 'moved' somewhat.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:05 am

I read the reviews too. He describes his own awakening experience in the book and uses terms like "light" and "vibration". I just think some people are not ready for that as evidenced by the review. In all fairness to the reviewer, picking up the book by its title alone, would seem to be geared towards a conventional mass of people, looking for a regular "self help" book. But this book is NOT a self help book and if anything is the culmination of Tolle's teachings with a much more human slant. So, that terminology mentioned above could come as a surprise to people who are not accustomed to such.

For example, he talks about while he was writing one chapter, he had a sore throat that day and he starts to describe his experience AS he's recording/writing it. So, he talks about how he feels currently irritable because he's getting sick and he's immediately getting hard on himself for BEING sick. He's always associated being sick with a sign of weakness, since he's been a health nut. He stops and inquires into that.

Ah, I see what needs to be done. Where I am at this moment, is hating myself for being sick. So, that is what needs to be loved first. Love whatever you can from wherever you are. Let me see if I can do that. I feel a wave of light and lightness passing through my body. I am very aware of the pain in my throat as if someone had turned a spotlight on it.

Love is being the space with something. Perhaps I am sad. If I'm not able to share space with it, I will try to talk myself out of it. When I am able to love it though, it feels like I am opening space around the sadness, allowing it to be.

Love gives space, makes room. If I disliked someone, it would be unloving to crowd out that feeling before I inquired into it. First, I need to love it the way it is. Not to love the person, but to love myself for disliking them. This action makes room for me to be the way I am. It allows me to inquire into why I don't like this person, rather than thinking I SHOULD like them"

The reason I like the book is because it's very practical, nothing fancy at all. But there's a human component to it that does not across as a "spiritual" book which gets the message across to the common person. It's basic message is to stop beating yourself up and learn to love yourself. But, it's not self indulgent love in a selfish way. It's love in the same way we talk about here.....by acceptance, allowing, and surrendering to "what is", with the premise....love is all there is, when we stop believing otherwise and we are ONLY love, when we accept 'what is".
Enlightened2B

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:14 am

Love is being the space with something. Perhaps I am sad. If I'm not able to share space with it, I will try to talk myself out of it. When I am able to love it though, it feels like I am opening space around the sadness, allowing it to be.

Yum!! :D

He describes his own awakening experience in the book and uses terms like "light" and "vibration". I just think some people are not ready for that as evidenced by the review.

It's hard to know what will crack folks open or have them cower and shut down tighter. Interestingly though, he just sounds 'authentic' to me :wink:

Ah, I see what needs to be done. Where I am at this moment, is hating myself for being sick. So, that is what needs to be loved first. Love whatever you can from wherever you are. Let me see if I can do that. I feel a wave of light and lightness passing through my body. I am very aware of the pain in my throat as if someone had turned a spotlight on it.

This sounds very much what my Granny & other energy healers 'assist' with their love - don't fret, you're alright etc etc - creating calm and using their love energy to 'be with' whatever, and assist others to feel safe in it.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Return to Recommended Books