The Diamond in Your Pocket, by Gangaji

BillyPLed

The Diamond in Your Pocket, by Gangaji

Post by BillyPLed » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:14 pm

Buy The Diamond in Your Pocket from Amazon.com; support the forum

Do any of you have this book? Eckhart wrote the introduction to it. I really like it. It is fairly repetitious. However, the editor of the book explains this. She writes, "You will find certain words and phrases used frequently throughout the book. Please excuse the redundancy. The intention is not to wear the mind down with repetition. Each mention is a fresh opportunity to discover the one immaculate truth in the core of your very own heart."

I really like what she has to say about self-inquiry in regards to our tendency to tell stories that we believe describe reality. She is continuously asking us to "just stop." Stop the stories. Stop the striving. Stop the searching. Just stop!

What do any of you think about the book or about Gangaji?
Billy in Lousiana

Triple T

Post by Triple T » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:06 am

It's on my list to get soon I hope. I'm glad you mentioned it. All I know about her is from her website. Kirtana, a musician whose music ET uses at his seminars is involved in her work. She has written a few songs about her. It's very beautiful. Gangaji actually sings on a few tracks.
I'm curious what drew you to this book. Was it ET's introduction? Or something else?

BillyPLed

Post by BillyPLed » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:33 pm

Triple T wrote:I'm curious what drew you to this book. Was it ET's introduction? Or something else?
One of our local bookstores puts out a newsletter and asks local residents to share "what we're reading." I had written about reading the work of Buddhist nun Pema Chodron and how excited I was with her books. A few weeks later I got a package in the mail from a woman I had never met before. She had burned two cds by Gangaji for me and sent a note about how she had read my review and felt that I would be interested in Gangaji. A few days later this same lady showed up at my church (a very liberal Baptist church) for a new Sunday School class and we discovered that we knew many of the same people. We discussed our mutual interests which included Eckhart Tolle.

I listened to the cds and really liked them. I found her website and bookmarked it. I also noticed that Kirtana mentioned Gangaji in the liner notes of her cd called "A Deeper Surrender." I recently got an e-mail from Sounds True announcing the new book and ordered it.

I have been slowly reading it and have been challenged by some of her teachings. At the same time, though, I can feel some shifts taking place within myself. So many things are "making sense" to me now. I do plan on sharing more about some of these shifts shortly. I would be interested in any feedback from the members of this forum. I really need to use this forum more.

Later...
Billy in Lousiana

summer

Post by summer » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:50 am

I have always like Gangaji, also. Whenever I have heard her talk I have felt a deep resonance with her words. Kind of like Eckhart, there is something in the tone of her voice that makes me say "YES"

'Stillness Speaks' is the only book that I have bought in 5 years. I think that Eckhart convinced me that I didn't need any more books :D

But I will check this one out, and who knows, I may surprise myself and decide to get it.

Thanks for letting me know about it.

lakeswimr

Post by lakeswimr » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:48 pm

I'm nearly done with it now and like it a lot. It really dragged for me in the beginning but by 1/2 way through I was totally hooked! I like the concept of the super ego and where she talks about if we want to get rid of the ego it is a big red flag that our super ego is at work because only the super ego wants to get rid of the ego. She also talks about how people often transfer seeking, etc to being "spiritual" and this turns into a big, undetected ego feed.

I also liked what she said about what we expect enlightenment will give us. I realized I still did have an image in my mind and some expectations of what enlightment will give me. I liked where she said clearly enlightenment will not give us one thing that we don't already have and then asked how that made us feel. lol

I think her book isn't as easy of a read as some others because she deliberately seems to have excluded all stories. I like stories because they help me make sense of things but in this case it is an effective writing style-just a bit more dense than some other books.

I think she has written another book, too.

lakeswimr

Post by lakeswimr » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:48 pm

Bluejay said, "Anyone read this?I liked some of the idea about shredding yourself to the core.Getting read of all ideas of self and that they are just ideas.Also dont expect anything from elighttment.Anyone explain what this means?"

To me it means that we are Being at our core already and so we won't "get" anything. We will lose a lot of false things, though. It will be an uncovering rather than a gaining. When you already have everything there is nothing to gain. :)

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:37 pm

I find myself drawn to Gangaji. I've downloaded some audio excerpts of her speaking and it's really great to listen to her. I will definitely get her book. I think I'll order it together with Tolle's new book, when it comes out.

I was wondering if maybe someone could send me some audio CDs of her talks? I'd really love that.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

summer

Post by summer » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:10 am

Hi Eric,
just wondering where I could download audio excerpts of her talks?
Gangaji is so feminine. And being a woman myself, I really enjoy her energy.

"It is always possible to discover more deeply what the force is, what the grace is, that moves your life. In fact, it is essential to acknowledge that, and to open to direct experience in the discovery of that. Then you have the actual choice of surrendering your thoughts and emotions, your habits and concepts, surrendering it all to the grace of the power that is calling you home."

-Gangaji

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:43 am

http://www.gangaji.org/satsang/library/listening.asp

There are a lot of short audio clips here. If you want to download the mp3's to your computer, than click them, then select "Save Link/Target As" and save the m3u file. Next, you need to rename the m3u file to "txt", open it, and there you'll see the location where you can download the mp3 file.

http://www.transradio.com/poc/

Here there is some kind of long radio interview with Gangaji.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

summer

Post by summer » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:20 pm

Hi Eric,
thanks very much for these links. I listened to two of the audio clips this morning and they are terrific.

summer

Post by summer » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:26 am

For the past week, I have been listening to one of Gangaji's audios very early in the morning. Like a quiet meditation, I listen for 5-10 mins, and then I am quiet.

She is wonderful. And while everything she says is totally in synch with Eckhart, I am thrilled to hear a woman's insight on our questions.

I highly recommend listening to her. Especially if you are a woman :D

barbarasher

Post by barbarasher » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:02 pm

I just came back from a beautiful vacation in Crete sitting by the pool all day for a week.

I thoroughly enjoyed her book, and am almost finished.

I feel it is very very close to ETs message and I have underlined at least 50% of the book, like I did when I read ET's books.

Did anyone read Sudden Awakening, by her husband. I got into that also.

Yes, I read two books at once, it helps me digest the message of each better.

NTD

Post by NTD » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:19 pm

It's great when a new bit of understanding clicks into place after reading something. This thread just gave me another little 'jog'. When I read about Gangaji's 'Super Ego' concept on this thread, it was like 'aaaah, yeah'.

Who is talking when you hear 'I want to get rid of the ego'? Obviously your 'neocortex', rational brain, not you. Awareness can't talk or want. The real you - the awareness - doesn't think anything, doesn't do anything, doesn't like anything, doesn't dislike anything, doesn't post in threads... it just is what it is - aware. Instead of creating a new concept of 'super ego', I prefer to think about it like this. The real you 'does' absolutely nothing except exist.

I'm sure your brains already know this, but it helps mine to be clear on this and hopefully someone else out there. Repetition is good :P .

Hi everyone - by the way. Thanks for this forum. Time to get back to simply being.

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:49 pm

Hi NTD,

Welcome to the forum. You said,

"Awareness can't talk or want. The real you - the awareness - doesn't think anything, doesn't do anything, doesn't like anything, doesn't dislike anything, doesn't post in threads... it just is what it is - aware. Instead of creating a new concept of 'super ego', I prefer to think about it like this. The real you 'does' absolutely nothing except exist."

Yes, that's it! This is the whole "teaching" - in one concise paragraph you have captured everything. Great post.

summer

Post by summer » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:12 am