A Course in Miracles

completeinthenow

Post by completeinthenow » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:29 pm

Another good book that is an excellent introduction and pre-cursor to reading A Course in Miracles is:

Path of Light: Stepping into peace with A Course in Miracles by Robert Perry

Peace Is With Us All

Resheph
"Only what is loving is true." A Course in Miracles

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:40 pm

it has a pompous air that doesn't flow

onelen

Re: A Course in Miracles

Post by onelen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:15 am

Hi All,
Another reminder to all readers of ACIM who have struggled with it or found it a bit daunting, a couple of books have been "written" by Gary R Renard to help us understand it better and re-focus on it's central message of "Quantum Forgiveness".
The first book was "The Disappearance of the Universe" followed a few years later by "Your Immortal Reality".
To get the most of ACIM I highly recommend these two books.
You could save yourself many "lifetimes".....

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:42 pm

I can only heartily endorse the recommendation given to Gary Renards books. They provide - for me and I suspect many, many others, an absolutely necessary primer to ACIM. The stentorian language and the sheer sense of total reversal of ones world view make approaching ACIM a daunting prospect. However reading Disappearance of the Universe and Your Immortal Reality really opened up ACIM to me. I now see that it is an absolutely astounding philosophy. Very consistent, very radical, very helpful in developing a relationship with the world that is based on a form of forgiveness called 'quantum forgiveness'. Here we go again, I thought...the 'q' word dragged in to add some life to a flagging idea. However on examination the entire world view espoused in ACIM is the quantum take on reality, and yes, the form of forgiveness espoused has a lot to do with the quantum understanding. And yes, my jaw did hit the carpet. More than once.

I would be fascinated to hear of others experiences on ACIM.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

Javonni

Post by Javonni » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:09 am

I am a student of ACIM and the main message of this wonderful teaching is forgiveness.

Disappearance of the Universe does give an excellent overview of what the Course is teaching.

There is also another book that is very helpful in understanding the Course and it is called, 101 Questions and Answers on the Course by Gene Skaggs, Jr.

Javonni
When someone asks me who they are or what God is, I smile inside and whisper to the Light: "There you go again pretending."
~Adyashanti

BillyPLed

Post by BillyPLed » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:05 am

I wanted to revisit this topic since I have been studying the Course very intensely for the past 7 or 8 months now. I am very grateful for my Course teacher. I have learned so much about the Course in the past several months and feel very strongly that it is a spiritual masterpiece. It is not for everyone. However, I think that if more people understood the Course and truly studied it the way it is meant to be studied, they would realize how amazing it is and how transformative it is.

I met my Course teacher through the Circle of Atonement. I have been reading the writings of the main teacher and founder of the Circle (Robert Perry) for a while now. The Circle's website is full of fantastic articles and resources for the new student of the Course as well as for the advanced student. I can certainly say that there is no way I would be where I am today with my studies of the Course without the help and support of the Circle, Robert Perry and my own personal teacher.

Here is a link to some short videos by Robert Perry that explain such things as what the Course is, what forgiveness is (very different from the usual definition), is the Course a self-study program (no it is not), etc.:

http://www.circleofa.org/videos/videos.php

I would highly recommend watching all of these videos and then reading some of the introductory articles on the Course found on this website.

I became a member of the Circle of Atonement's online community called the Circle Course Community (CCC) about 7 or 8 months ago and it was through joining the CCC that I got an e-mail from Robert Perry. Robert said that he knew of a guy in Palm Springs, CA who might be a good teacher for me if I was interested. At the time I had not even thought of such a thing, but decided that it might be a good idea. Within a very short period of time after getting Robert's e-mail, my teacher and I started a relationship that involves talking on the phone twice a week. We began reading the Text together and are on chapter 13 now. I also started the Workbook this January 1. I have to say that there is no way I could have done this without the help of my teacher. I have gotten so much out of my studies of the Text and my practice of the Workbook since I have my teacher as a guide. I firmly believe that there is no way a person can truly grasp the Course without help from someone who has studied it in depth already.

And, it is this point that I am wanting to make with this post. I have learned that the Course is not a "self-study" Course (take a look at Robert's video on this). Yes, the Course needs to be studied. The Workbook of the Course is all about "mind training" and needs to be practiced as is instructed. However, one of the major aspects of the Course that makes it different from all other paths that I have come across is the emphasis that is placed on relationships -- in particular, on what the Course calls "holy relationships" and "holy encounters."

It seems to me that most, if not all, spiritual paths in this world are very solitary. The person "goes within" to contact God. The person withdraws from the world into his or her inner sanctuary. In contrast to this, the Course teaches over and over again that the journey home can not be undertaken alone. One of my favorite quotes from the Course states, "The ark of peace is entered two by two."

Here are some other quotes on this theme. I have the electronic version of the Course that allows me to search the Course using key words. I did a search for the word "alone" and here are some of the passages that I found:

"If you make the mistake of looking for the Holy Spirit in yourself alone your thoughts will frighten you because, by adopting the ego's viewpoint, you are undertaking an ego-alien journey with the ego as guide. 7 This is bound to produce fear."

"You cannot understand yourself alone. 2 This is because you have no meaning apart from your rightful place in the Sonship, and the rightful place of the Sonship is God. 3 This is your life, your eternity and your Self. 4 It is of this that the Holy Spirit reminds you. 5 It is this that the Holy Spirit sees. "

"You cannot cancel out your past errors alone. 10 They will not disappear from your mind without the Atonement, a remedy not of your making. 11 The Atonement must be understood as a pure act of sharing. 12 That is what I meant when I said it is possible even in this world to listen to one Voice. 13 If you are part of God and the Sonship is One, you cannot be limited to the self the ego sees."

"I [this is the author of the Course, Jesus, speaking of himself] heard one Voice because I understood that I could not atone for myself alone. 2 Listening to one Voice implies the decision to share It in order to hear It yourself. 3 The Mind that was in me is still irresistibly drawn to every mind created by God, because God's Wholeness is the Wholeness of His Son. 4 You cannot be hurt, and do not want to show your brother anything except your wholeness. 5 Show him that he cannot hurt you and hold nothing against him, or you hold it against yourself. 6 This is the meaning of 'turning the other cheek.'"

"The goal of the curriculum, regardless of the teacher you choose, is "Know thyself." 2 There is nothing else to seek. 3 Everyone is looking for himself and for the power and glory he thinks he has lost. 4 Whenever you are with anyone, you have another opportunity to find them . [that is, you have an opportunity to find "power and glory"]. 5 Your power and glory are in him [your brother] because they are yours. 6 The ego tries to find them in yourself alone, because it does not know where to look. 7 The Holy Spirit teaches you that if you look only at yourself you cannot find yourself, because that is not what you are. 8 Whenever you are with a brother, you are learning what you are because you are teaching what you are. 9 He will respond either with pain or with joy, depending on which teacher you are following [depending on whether you are following the ego or the Holy Spirit]. 10 He will be imprisoned or released according to your decision, and so will you. 11 Never forget your responsibility to him [to your brother], because it is your responsibility to yourself. 12 Give him his place in the Kingdom and you will have yours."

"The Kingdom cannot be found alone, and you who are the Kingdom cannot find yourself alone."

"Alone we can do nothing, but together our minds fuse into something whose power is far beyond the power of its separate parts. 7 By not being separate, the Mind of God is established in ours and as ours. 8 This Mind is invincible because it is undivided."

I could go on and on. This is one of the most important themes of the Course. I feel it also makes the Course very unique. Actually there are many things about the Course that make it unique.

My favorite passage is the one in red. I inserted my comments so that it might make more sense.

I will stop here. I might come back and post some more later. I just wanted to "resurrect" this thread and hopefully get some more discussion going on it. I think that the Course is too important of a document to take lightly. I feel that it is in the same league as all of the sacred scriptures of the world's religions. However, it is not limited by having been watered down or distorted by well-intentioned but ignorant human beings. It is a teaching straight from the horse's mouth. And, I firmly believe that the horse is none other than Jesus himself.
Last edited by BillyPLed on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy in Lousiana

Javonni

Post by Javonni » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:18 am

Great post Billy. What I find so fascinating about the Course is you don't have to understand it for it to work. Just read it, do the lessons and changes(or miracles) occur of which I have had a few. One being, that I began to understand nondual teachings of which I never understood before.

I have read Robert Perry's Return to the Heart of God. His understanding and explanation of the Course are awesome. I will be reading his book again for sure.

Javonni
When someone asks me who they are or what God is, I smile inside and whisper to the Light: "There you go again pretending."
~Adyashanti

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:39 am

I've ordered both Perry's and Renards books to add to the other ACIM materials in my small library - welcome back Billy!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

BillyPLed

Post by BillyPLed » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:53 am

Javonni wrote:What I find so fascinating about the Course is you don't have to understand it for it to work. Just read it, do the lessons and changes(or miracles) occur of which I have had a few.
I respectfully disagree. What I have learned is that the three volumes of the Course represent three different but necessary elements of the Course -- study, practice and extension. You could almost think of them as three "stages."

The Text represents the intellectual thought-system of the Course. The text is therefore meant to be studied -- it is meant to be understood. What I have also found is that it is almost impossible for me to understand the Course -- to understand its very unique thought-system -- without some guidance. That is where people like Robert Perry and my own Course teacher come in.

The Workbook is meant to be practiced. As the first paragraph of the introduction to the Workbook states, "A theoretical foundation such as the text provides is necessary as a framework to make the exercises in this workbook meaningful. 2 Yet it is doing the exercises that will make the goal of the course possible. 3 An untrained mind can accomplish nothing. 4 It is the purpose of this workbook to train your mind to think along the lines the text sets forth." The assumption here is that we are practicing the Workbook after having established the "theoretical foundation" that the Text provides. That does not mean that a person could not start with the Workbook first and then tackle the Text. However, the author of the Course does seem to assume that most people will do the Workbook only after having studied the Text.

Then the Manual for Teachers is about "extension." As Robert Perry writes in his definition of extension, "The basic law and natural dynamic of the mind whereby ideas in the mind are expressed outward (though without leaving the mind), thus causing effects after their nature and likeness. The mind then looks upon and experiences these effects. Through this process of causing effects, the mind's original ideas are reinforced, completed and increased. In short, the mind's thoughts become its expression and this expression becomes its experience." The completion of the process of learning the Course is in teaching it to others -- not always in words -- often in our actions and in our extending of forgiveness.

The result of all of this taken together -- studying the Text, practicing the Workbook, and extending healing and forgiveness to others -- is that the teachings of the Course are "reinforced, completed and increased." So, it seems that the thought-system of the Course does need to be understood intellectually. It also needs to be practiced and extended to others. Of course I use the word "needs" only for those of us who are calling ourselves students of the Course. I also say this because it seems to be what I need.
Billy in Lousiana

Javonni

Post by Javonni » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:04 am

I respectfully disagree

Okay. :)
~Adyashanti

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:18 am

BillyPLed wrote:
Javonni wrote:What I find so fascinating about the Course is you don't have to understand it for it to work. Just read it, do the lessons and changes(or miracles) occur of which I have had a few.
I respectfully disagree. What I have learned is that the three volumes of the Course represent three different but necessary elements of the Course -- study, practice and extension. You could almost think of them as three "stages."

The Text represents the intellectual thought-system of the Course. The text is therefore meant to be studied -- it is meant to be understood. What I have also found is that it is almost impossible for me to understand the Course -- to understand its very unique thought-system -- without some guidance. That is where people like Robert Perry and my own Course teacher come in.

The Workbook is meant to be practiced. As the first paragraph of the introduction to the Workbook states, "A theoretical foundation such as the text provides is necessary as a framework to make the exercises in this workbook meaningful. 2 Yet it is doing the exercises that will make the goal of the course possible. 3 An untrained mind can accomplish nothing. 4 It is the purpose of this workbook to train your mind to think along the lines the text sets forth." The assumption here is that we are practicing the Workbook after having established the "theoretical foundation" that the Text provides. That does not mean that a person could not start with the Workbook first and then tackle the Text. However, the author of the Course does seem to assume that most people will do the Workbook only after having studied the Text.

Then the Manual for Teachers is about "extension." As Robert Perry writes in his definition of extension, "The basic law and natural dynamic of the mind whereby ideas in the mind are expressed outward (though without leaving the mind), thus causing effects after their nature and likeness. The mind then looks upon and experiences these effects. Through this process of causing effects, the mind's original ideas are reinforced, completed and increased. In short, the mind's thoughts become its expression and this expression becomes its experience." The completion of the process of learning the Course is in teaching it to others -- not always in words -- often in our actions and in our extending of forgiveness.

The result of all of this taken together -- studying the Text, practicing the Workbook, and extending healing and forgiveness to others -- is that the teachings of the Course are "reinforced, completed and increased." So, it seems that the thought-system of the Course does need to be understood intellectually. It also needs to be practiced and extended to others. Of course I use the word "needs" only for those of us who are calling ourselves students of the Course. I also say this because it seems to be what I need.
Well you have all that for sure but many times things work in life just because of our intention to have them work. I have foind that if you have a person that is able to work with pure intention they will out perform the student of the letter everytime.
The ego has a big problem with this because it will say did I not study so hard, did I not do this and that and this but at the end of the day that person will loose to a person that just has very focus intentions.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

BillyPLed

Post by BillyPLed » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:28 pm

Here is the most recent bolg entry that i wrote for my Gaia page. It is called "Your Neighbor as Yourself."

The Greatest Commandment:

And one of the scribes came and heard them arguing, and recognizing that He had answered them well, asked Him, "What commandment is the foremost of all?" Jesus answered, "The foremost is, 'Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is one Lord; and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.' "The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

From A Course in Miracles:

"5 You cannot behave appropriately unless you perceive correctly. 6 Since you and your neighbor are equal members of one family, as you perceive both so you will do to both. 7 You should look out from the perception of your own holiness to the holiness of others." T-1.III.6.

"6 It is impossible for a child of God to love his neighbor except as himself. 7 That is why the healer's prayer is:
8 Let me know this brother as I know myself." T-5.in.3.

In a recent conversation with my Course teacher, I understood a teaching of the Course in a way that I hadn't before. The Course teaches that God has only one Son. The Course also teaches that the Son has many parts. Each of us make up the Son of God. We are all parts of the Sonship, and each part of the Sonship contains the whole.

Robert Perry has used the analogy of a hologram to describe this teaching. In his book Return to the Heart of God he writes,

"Yet even though these members are called parts, they are completely unlike parts as we know them. A car is a good example of how parts operate in this world. To make a car, you take separate parts, which are different in size, shape, and function, and assemble them together into a larger whole. The parts of God's Son, however, are nothing like that. They are not separate from each other; they are all one. They are not different in size, shape and function; they are exactly the same in every way. And they are not smaller pieces of a larger whole. Every part contains the whole; each part has the entire whole inside of it. Indeed, "every aspect is the whole" (T-13.VIII.5:3). Thus, the whole is not made up of smaller parts. Rather, each part is literally made of the whole. Though we cannot truly imagine this state, a useful analogy in our world is the hologram, every part of which contains the same three-dimensional image; each part contains the whole."

This is a truly radical teaching. The implications of this teaching, if fully embraced, will completely transform the way we relate to one another. What I realize is that if I attack my brother in any way, those same attack thoughts and behaviors are attacking me -- and not just me, but the entire Sonship. If I extend healing to my brother, I am being healed -- and not just me, but the entire Sonship. Also, as I accept the Atonement for myself, I am doing so for the entire Sonship. Healing in any one part of the Sonship is healing in the entire Sonship. Attack of any one part of the Sonship is attack on the entire Sonship.

Fortunately, attack is not real and has no real effect. It only seems to be real. Only love is real because only love can be truly shared. It makes so much sense to me now to realize that I learn what I am teaching and I receive what I am giving. If I teach only love, as the Course advocates, then I am learning it. As I give forgiveness, I am receiving it.

Understanding this one teaching is having a profound impact on my personal relationships. How can I attack any one person, knowing that I am attacking myself and the whole of the Sonship at the same time? How can I not extend love, forgiveness, or healing to any one of my brothers when withholding these from him is the same as withholding them from myself and the whole of the Sonship? This teaching is helping me to see exactly how it is that we are all one. And, realizing this, I am understanding why love is the only possible response to anyone, in any circumstance.

The second part of the Great Commandment is, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." I use to understand this to mean that I am to love my neighbor in the same way (in the same manner) that I love myself. What I now understand this to mean is that my neighbor is myself. We are being instructed to love our neighbor as ourselves, because our neighbor is our very self.

Quotes from the Course:

"1 It should especially be noted that God has only one Son. 2 If all His creations are His Sons, every one must be an integral part of the whole Sonship. 3 The Sonship in its Oneness transcends the sum of its parts. 4 However, this is obscured as long as any of its parts is missing. 5 That is why the conflict cannot ultimately be resolved until all the parts of the Sonship have returned. 6 Only then can the meaning of wholeness in the true sense be understood. 7 Any part of the Sonship can believe in error or incompleteness if he so chooses. 8 However, if he does so, he is believing in the existence of nothingness. 9 The correction of this error is the Atonement." T-2.VII.6.

"6 ...It makes no difference to what part or by what part of the Sonship the healing is offered. 7 Every part benefits, and benefits equally." T-5.in.2.

"3 The recognition of the part as whole, and of the whole in every part is perfectly natural, for it is the way God thinks, and what is natural to Him is natural to you." T-16.II.3

"3 It [attack] is unjustified in any form, because it has no meaning. 4 The only way it could be justified is if you and your brother were separate from the other, and all were separate from your Creator. 5 For only then would it be possible to attack a part of the creation without the whole, the Son without the Father; and to attack another without yourself, or hurt yourself without the other feeling pain." T-22.VI.12

"1 I thank You, Father, knowing You will come to close each little gap that lies between the broken pieces of Your holy Son. 2 Your Holiness, complete and perfect, lies in every one of them. 3 And they are joined because what is in one is in them all. 4 How holy is the smallest grain of sand, when it is recognized as being part of the completed picture of God's Son! 5 The forms the broken pieces seem to take mean nothing. 6 For the whole is in each one. 7 And every aspect of the Son of God is just the same as every other part." T-28.IV.9

"4 I thank You, Father, for Your perfect Son, and in his glory will I see my own." T-30.VI.9
Billy in Lousiana

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:09 am

I picked this up recently, all three volumes for $30 from a old school bookstore. I find it very fascinating. Always had a curiosity about it because Tolle sometimes brings it up. Is there a usual/standard way to go about with this? From what I've read, the author seems to gear towards reading text 1 and then doing the workbook. What about the teacher manual, text 3? Is that to be read whenever?

James

Post by James » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:24 am

Yes it is a beautiful message, and truly a gift. It uses Christian conceptual language and is quite structured, but that is intentional to reach westerners in a familiar and focused way. The same material could have been written in the form of other major traditions. And actually in spite of its apparent complexity, it really boils down to a very simple message. I never was able to complete all the lessons, but now and then I like to open to random sections of the text, and read for a bit, and I always find profound inspiration and clarity in doing so.

I especially love to hear the story about how the writings came to be, I get shivers every time. The course is like a dream lion, an Advaita concept. The dream lion appears in the dream to wake one up.

Oh and I'll add, one of Eckhart's favorite quotes from ACIM goes something like this:

It took time to so completely misguide you
But it takes no time at all to be who you are.

james
Last edited by James on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

James

Post by James » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Here's a short list of what comes to mind as the essential truths in A Course In Miracles (ACIM).

1- God Is- Always was, always will be, and only God IS. God is all there is and is One. That's what constitutes the Absolute, formless, infinite reality.

2- Man has never been separate from this Oneness, but there is a dream of separation that seems to be occurring, so it appears as if there is God and Man. This illusion of separation is what appears as the form or phenomenal world. It is merely a mental projection that has no reality or existence to it. Time and space are finite concepts that only exist within the dream, therefore they are not real. Only that which is eternal is Real. The concept of Christ is merely the Absolute divinity of man, that seems to have been lost in the dream of separation, so it appears as though it must be discovered.

3- The purpose of the Course is to heal the dream of separation, from within the dream, to realize that it is not really true and actually never happened. Therefore the course uses conceptual language that is consistent with the dream, kind of like Ramana's analogy of using a thorn to remove a thorn

4- One of the primary concepts the Course uses to heal the dream of separation is forgiveness, a facet of love. Forgiveness understood correctly is that no one actually needs forgiveness, or love because there is only One, and it is whole and infinite love, and what seems to need forgiveness, never really happened. It basically amounts to forgiving ones illusions, the beliefs about what seems to be happening in the world of form and with the separate sense of others. Recognizing that it is an illusion, letting it go and being at peace. That is usually what is referred to as "The Miracle", the peace and love that is realized through forgiveness.

5- There is a voice of truth that appears within the dream, conceptually referred to as the "Holy Spirit" in order to be consistent with the Christian theme. AKA the "still small voice". This voice is always speaking but is often not heard, because within the dream we are too busy dreaming/thinking what isn't true. The crux of what the voice of truth is saying in many different variations and combinations of words, symbols or even experiences is: "Be still and know that "I Am God"", or "God Is" and only Is, awaken.

6- The dream of separation may appear to continue because the separate sense of man or ego, does not wish to relinquish its illusions of separation, the ego wants to keep dreaming in time and space, and believing it is real. The ego is afraid of awakening, afraid of love, afraid of God because it is afraid of learning of its nonexistence. But for those that wish to awaken, it can be a happy, joyous, loving dream until eventually dreaming completely stops. The end of dreaming is referred to as the end of the phenomenal world, or simply "the end of the word". When the apparent world ends, nothing real or of value will be lost. The essential message of the Course is "nothing real can be threatened, nothing unreal exists, herein lies the peace of God".

I think although the structured Course In Miracles may be very appealing to many, and can be very helpful and inspiring; if one can have sufficient realization/recognition of the simple truth that always, already Is, that "God Is One", then no further lessons would be needed. In the beginning of ACIM it says "It is a required course". What is meant is that it is required that the Truth be known, not necessarily that the Course be completed per se. I think it is best to let one's inner guide inspire and move one in the direction needed, ultimately the truth is found within, and each individual appears to be unique and have a unique way of awakening. As Rumi said "Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love."

james