Byron Katie - A Thousand Names for Joy

Byron Katie - A Thousand Names for Joy

Postby AnEternalNow » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:15 pm

Buy A Thousand Names for Joy from Amazon.com; support the forum

Anyone seen her new book? Sounds interesting.

From Publishers Weekly
This unusual collaboration brings together the Way (the Tao) and the Work, Katie's form of self-inquiry and path to joy. Katie is the author of Loving What Is, and Mitchell, the noted translator of the Tao, is her husband. In each chapter of this new book, Mitchell has presented Katie with a passage from the Tao and noted down her exposition on the theme. (This oral format can result in choppy, repetitive text.) Katie's own "awakening" came in 1986, after 10 years of depression. One morning she felt a sense of freedom from her overwhelming distress, a feeling she calls "a falling-away of the self." This freedom, she claims, is available to anyone who practices the Work, which consists of asking oneself four questions intended to turn around fixed ideas and dismantle painful, knotted thoughts about the past. Four dialogues Katie has conducted with seekers illustrate the Work in action. Her belief that reality is good and can only be grasped if we live in the present moment resonates with many traditional spiritual teachings, and in this genuine and fresh spiritual manifesto, Katie's engaging personality springs from the page. (Feb. 6)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Review

• “Byron Katie is one of the truly great and inspiring teachers of our time. She has been enormously helpful to me personally. I love this very wise woman, and I encourage everyone to immerse themselves in this phenomenal book.” —Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

• “A Thousand Names for Joy is a vivid and powerful portrait of the awakened mind. I am captivated by Katie’s clear mind and loving heart, which offer the world a simple process to find joy. Who knew? Katie did, and what a blessing she offers to us all.”
—Iyanla Vanzant, founder, Inner Visions Institute

• “Katie’s teachings and everyday life are pure wisdom. A Thousand Names for Joy shows us the way to inner peace, and she directs us there fearlessly, relentlessly, and with utmost generosity. I have rarely seen anyone—spiritual teachers included—embody wisdom as powerfully as Katie in her passionate embrace of each and every moment.” —R¯oshi Bernie Glassman
AnEternalNow

Love it!

Postby BillyPLed » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:45 am

I am reading this now, and I love it, love it, love it! Katie really "speaks" to me. This should come as no suprise since I attended her School and have been doing The Work for about 1 and 1/2 years now. I consider her my main teacher. And, I believe I have this discussion board to thank for that since I seem to remember first hearing about her here. Thanks...
Billy in Lousiana
BillyPLed

Postby erict » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:11 pm

Her approach is a little strange to me, although from the little that I have read, I've been greatly affected. Now I question my thoughts much more and don't just accept everything that passes through my mind as "the truth" / "reality".
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby din » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:20 pm

Daily messages from Byron Katie:

http://www.thework.com/DailyMsgArchive.asp

For me, reality is God, because it rules.

When I argue with reality, I lose—but only 100% of the time.

When I am perfectly clear, what is is what I want.

Arguing with reality is like trying to teach a cat to bark—hopeless.

There are no physical problems—only mental ones.

We never make a decision. When the time is right, the decision makes itself.

The miracle of love comes to us in the presence of the uninterpreted moment.

I’m very clear that everyone in the world loves me. I just don’t expect them to realize it yet.

Seeking love keeps you from the awareness that you already have it—that you are it.

Nothing you believe is true. To know this is freedom.

You see only what you believe. Nothing else is possible.

Why are you upset? You’re believing what you think. Want to get sane? Question what you believe.
:)
din

Postby Asitis » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:54 am

I have suffered alot the past years, and I know I come to the right place when I watch or listen to Byron Katie and Eckhart Tolle. There is your choice in this very moment. Love
Asitis

Postby din » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:56 am

Asitis wrote:I have suffered alot the past years, and I know I come to the right place when I watch or listen to Byron Katie and Eckhart Tolle. There is your choice in this very moment. Love

Welcome Asitis. :D
:)
din

Postby lakeswimr » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:32 am

I am reading this, too, now and love it. And when I do resist what is the beautify of what is here is really obvious and I'm enjoying this awareness.
lakeswimr

Postby jeremypeace » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:53 pm

Byron Katie seems wonderful, but I find it a bit strange her approach to spirituality with 'the work'. It's like 'all you need is a peice of paper and four questions' - so we have to do to get where we are already meant to be?

I remember Eckhart joking about something similar to this once, the joke how people sometimes think there are steps to enlightenment. 'There are 7 steps which will take you 7 years'
jeremypeace

The Work "works"

Postby BillyPLed » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:23 am

jeremypeace wrote:Byron Katie seems wonderful, but I find it a bit strange her approach to spirituality with 'the work'. It's like 'all you need is a peice of paper and four questions' - so we have to do to get where we are already meant to be?

I remember Eckhart joking about something similar to this once, the joke how people sometimes think there are steps to enlightenment. 'There are 7 steps which will take you 7 years'

The Work is a "method" that begins to come alive in you the more that you do it. Yes, it is recommended that you write your thoughts on paper because the mind is a slippery thing and can easily shape-shift and trick you if it is not "stopped." Katie tells us that writing your judgements down stops the mind on paper so that it can be Worked more easily and effectively. I suggest that you try The Work for yourself if you haven't already. You might also want to do it with a facilitator (this is offered free through the Hotline on http://www.thework.com).

Eckhart also offers his own "methods" -- i.e. feeling the "inner body." Ramana Maharshi taught a method of self-inquiry using the question "Who am I?" -- similar to Katie's question "Who would you be without your story?" Katie actually uses this question during the morning meditations at The School.

There is actually a wonderful chapter written by Stephan Bodian in The Sacred Mirror: Nondual Wisdom and Psychotherapy called "Deconstructing the Self: The Uses of Inquiry in Psychotherapy and Spiritual Practice" that refers to The Work along with other methods of self-inquiry. He does a great job of explaining why it is that The Work "works" so well.

So many people say things like "Just let go, and let God," "Live fully in the Now," "You have to love yourself before you can love others," etc. All of that sounds great, but how do we do them? It seems that the reason why we don't do these wonderful things is because of our limited beliefs about self and other. The Work is one method among many that allows us to question those beliefs and find the Truth that is on the other side of inquiry.

"I don't know how to let go"
"I am stuck in the past"
"I have to love myself first"

Is that true?
Can I absolutely know that's true?
How do I react when I believe this thought?
Who would I be without this thought?

Then turn it around...

What would my life be like if I lived these turnarounds?

I invite you to give the Work a shot...
Billy in Lousiana
BillyPLed

Postby lakeswimr » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:05 am

lakeswimr wrote:I am reading this, too, now and love it. And when I do resist what is the beautify of what is here is really obvious and I'm enjoying this awareness.

Oh, just btw, that should read, "when I *don't* resist." lol
lakeswimr

Postby wwooten » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:51 am

I am really enjoying the book......

I was introduced to "The Work" years ago.......it's only now that I resonate with "The Work" and the words written in this book............

I am practicing presence and questioning thoughts.....

It feels compatible........
wwooten

A Thousand Names for Joy and PON

Postby ClearLifeCarol » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:06 am

Re: methods...

Katie's new book isn't simply about The Work per se but about living with a mind that has been "worked." In that way it is different from her other books.

I've been referring to A Thousand Names for Joy as "The Tao...the Now...and finally, the How." :D
ClearLifeCarol

Re: A Thousand Names for Joy and PON

Postby BillyPLed » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:19 pm

ClearLifeCarol wrote:I've been referring to A Thousand Names for Joy as "The Tao...the Now...and finally, the How." :D

Welcome, Carol! Great to "see" you here. I love the above quote from you. You summarized in a very short sentence what I was trying to say in my above post.

(Note: Carol was on staff at the Oct. "School for the Work" that I attended. She is a wonderful person to get to know better.)
Billy in Lousiana
BillyPLed

Postby heidi » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:15 pm

I am reading the book right now. I'm noticing a gentle shift, as though the Work done earlier is settling in, transcending resistance, and the inquiry happens almost in and of itself before attachment to a thought would "take hold."
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby wwooten » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:02 am

Thank you Heidi,

You put words to what I am experiencing...........
wwooten

Next

Return to Recommended Books