Way of the Peaceful Warrior - Dan Millman

Postby eyogateacher » Sat May 19, 2007 1:43 pm

Eric

Thanks for all the posting .It seems to be a very interesting book .
eyogateacher

Postby JD » Sat May 19, 2007 7:06 pm

Yes, thanks, erict.

I just got through listening to the audiobook and found it very useful and rewarding.
JD

Postby Nebula » Fri May 25, 2007 9:01 am

Tin Soul wrote:Thanks for these quotes. I saw the movie and that was very good, but the book looks tremendous!

Movie??!!

Is there a film of this book?

I think I shall buy this book, it looks very interesting thanks.
"If it is the quality of your consciousness at this moment that determines the future, then what is it that determines the quality of your consciousness? Your degree of presence"
Nebula

Postby JD » Mon May 28, 2007 10:20 pm

julia_whirly wrote:Movie??!!

Is there a film of this book?

I just came across this.

I knew the book had been filmed but expected the result to be rubbish. It seems I was mistaken:

http://www.trianglemenscenter.org/2006/support/peaceful.pdf

The ManKind Project of the Greater Carolinas is pleased to announce a “special screening” of the feature film, Peaceful Warrior.

Based on the best-selling novel, and spiritual classic, “Way of the Peaceful Warrior” by Dan Millman, the movie chronicles the inspiring story of Millman’s Olympic dreams, near fatal accident and life changing encounter with a mysterious spiritual philosopher/teacher, “Socrates.”

The movie stars two-time Academy Award nominee Nick Nolte as “Socrates,” Millman’s powerful but elusive mentor.

Amy Smart, who recently co-starred in Just Friends and The Butterfly Effect plays the role of Joy, Millman’s love interest. Millman is portrayed by Scott Mechlowicz (Neverland, Mean Creek and Eurotrip) who effectively captures the gymnast’s struggle between his outer drives and inner demons.

The ManKind Project will be showing the movie on Friday, November 10, 2006 at 6:45 PM at Community United Church of Christ, 814 Dixie Trail, Raleigh, NC 27607. Tickets are $10.00 and can be purchased through http://www.virtuous.com.

“This film expresses what people spend their whole lives trying to achieve – finding their heart and the peace within their heart,” explains Nolte. “I have waited 20 years to make this movie,” Nolte told producer Mark Amin.

“The Way of the Peaceful Warrior” has been a favorite in both spiritual and college circles since it was originally published in 1980. Millions of lives have been touched by the principles presented in Dan Millman’s bestselling autobiographical novel. Now this inspirational movie brings these principles to life as
it takes us on a journey of self discovery and personal empowerment.

“We are happy to be able to bring this type of entertainment (or meaningful movies) to our community,” explains Jim Smith, Enrollment Coordinator for The ManKind Project.

Peaceful Warrior has been embraced by motivational and spiritual leaders across the country.

Sting recently stated after seeing the movie, “Peaceful Warrior is an important film, an inspiring film, and a film that could change lives.”

Author and motivational speaker Tony Robbins states, “A beautifully crafted and
enormously entertaining film that speaks to the strength and resiliency of the human spirit. See this film and it will impact the course of your life forever.”

And author Eckhart Tolle says, “A stunning and extraordinary film that takes you on a journey out of your mind and into the present moment. Watch it and be transformed.”

Written and directed by Victor Salva, based on “Way of the Peaceful Warrior” by Dan Millman.

The screenplay is written by Kevin Bernhardt. Peaceful Warrior is produced by Mark Amin, Cami Winikoff, Robin Schorr and David Welch.
JD

Postby Webwanderer » Tue May 29, 2007 12:13 am

Webwanderer

Postby JD » Tue May 29, 2007 1:01 am

Hmm. Not just another Karate Kid then. :D
JD

Postby kiki » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:53 am

Has anyone else seen the movie? I saw the DVD for sale at WalMart but haven't bought it yet.
kiki

Postby erict » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:29 pm

The book is so much better than the movie! Even though the movie isn't that bad.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Re: Way of the Peaceful Warrior - Dan Millman

Postby blueviceroy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:33 am

Thank you erict nice story
blueviceroy

Postby sparks » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:14 pm

Both are good, but the movie only covers about half the events in the book, and not in as much detail. One of the interviews on the DVD said that the movie was "designed" as a good sports film rather than a spiritual teaching film. Still a good read/watch. :)
sparks

Postby randomguy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:30 am

I read this book in college and enjoyed it immensely. I saw the movie too, but of course, it doesn't do the book justice. The book seems a bit amped up with the super-human type events in it, but a great read and a sound message nonetheless.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby LightRider » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:42 am

It's an amazing book. I saw it on this thread and decided to read it. It was so fascinating that I couldn't keep it down and finished it in one day!

Thanks erict and all of you here!

Regards,
Teja.
LightRider

Postby erict » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:40 pm

“Where are you?”
“What do you mean, where am I?”
“Where are you?” he repeated softly.
“I’m here.”
“Where is here?”
“In this office, in this gas station!” I was getting impatient with this game.
“Where is this gas station?”
“In Berkeley?”
“Where is Berkeley?”
“In California?”
“Where is California?”
“In the United States?”
“Where is the United States?”
“On a land mass, one of the continents in the Western Hemisphere.
Socrates, I …”
“Where are the continents?”
I sighed. “On the earth. Are we done yet?”
“Where is the earth?”
“In the solar system, third planet from the sun. The sun is a small star in the Milky Way galaxy, all right?”
“Where is the Milky Way?”
“Oh, brother,” I sighed impatiently, rolling my eyes. “In the Universe.”
I sat back and crossed my arms.
“And where,” Socrates smiled, “is the Universe?”
“The Universe is, well, there are theories about how it’s shaped …”
“That’s not what I asked. Where is it?”
“I don’t know—how can I answer that?”
“That is the point. You cannot answer it, and you never will. There is no knowing about it. You are ignorant of where the Universe is, and thus, where you are. In fact, you have no knowledge of where anything is; nor do you know what anything is or how it came to be.
It’s a mystery.
My ignorance, Dan, is based on this understanding. Your understanding is based on ignorance. I am a humorous fool; you are a serious jackass.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby jamestown0101 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:50 pm

"there are no ordinary moments."

Awesome story book and movie. Just as every bit as good as Ecky if not more. I appreciated the story as much as A new Earth but, I liked it better in the story form vs facts.
jamestown0101

Postby jamestown0101 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:29 am

Amazing book and movie. I enjoyed the story. Both have helped my life. I liked the story formatt better then fact based books where, you see it and visualize it as well as internalizing it all. I try to take it all on and not compare. Essentially, they tell a similar story and in essence, the same stuff. I think what mostly attracted me to the story was Sacrates. There is attachment with me, the desire to have a spiritual teacher at my side. I forget at times the message of the story, that life is our greatest spiritual teacher in all things. I came here for guidance. I found some but not to the answer of my question. As I typed this, I forgot what I already know. I forgot about Dan Millman and Joy (discontinue if you haven't seen the movie or read it). I forgot how in the book, his time with Joy was a dream. Dream is destiny. Dreamed his future wife. I questioned the dream I had during my cancer scare. I realize now, its a manifestation of something real. Not sure if its the specificity of it to focus on but the essence of it all. Amazing read and movie!
jamestown0101

PreviousNext

Return to Recommended Books