Favorite / Recommended Books

Re: Favorite / Recommended Books

Postby karmarider » Wed May 20, 2009 4:49 pm

PON, Krishnamurti were the greatest influence.

Others who have resonated: Nisgardatta, Ramana Maharshi, Goenke (Vipassana), ACIM, EFT, Sedona Method, Adyashanti, Stephen Cope, Byron Katie, Osho, Satyananda Saraswati, Almaas, Leonard Jacobson, Thich Nhat Hahn, Wei Wu Wei...

I start with the free material on the web...
karmarider

Postby Juniper22 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:16 pm

"Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramhansa Yogananda - http://www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/

"The Seth Material" by Jane Roberts
"Don`t think of goodness; don`t think of evil; at this instant, what is your original face?" Hui Neng
Juniper22

Postby LightRider » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:34 pm

Autobiography of a yogi : My first spiritual book. It literally blew me away. The book had a tremendous impact on me and the way I saw the world. A similar kind of a personal account is "Living with the Himalayan Masters" by Swami Rama. Another great book with valuable insights into the lives of these masters.

PON, ANE and Stillness speaks : Wonderful stuff, written by a true enlightened person.

Regards,
Teja.
LightRider

Postby Juniper22 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:42 am

^ Hi Teja and welcome -

Yes I found it riveting at the time. Alot of people don`t realise it can be read on-line (see link above). Thanks for mentioning the book by Swami Rama, it`s definately one I`ll look out for.
"Don`t think of goodness; don`t think of evil; at this instant, what is your original face?" Hui Neng
Juniper22

Postby LightRider » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:00 am

Hi Juniper22,

Thank you. It's feels really wonderful to be on this forum and learn insights and experiences from everyone else here.

Regards,
Teja.
LightRider

Postby Sighclone » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:30 pm

Welcome LightRider! Paramahansa's book was a huge event in my life also!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby SilencePlease » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:17 pm

I share a lot of books in common with others! In chronological order as they entered my life, with authors and books:

The Bible - Jesus' words resonate particularly with me
Thich Nhat Hanh - Peace is Every Step. (He's also written other beautiful books).
Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching
Leonard Jacobson - Embracing the Present, Bridging Heaven and Earth, Journey Into Now. (I've found Embracing the Present and Journey into Now as offering the most practical advice on how to actually become and remain present, whereas Bridging Heaven and Earth feels more mystical.)
Eckhart Tolle - Power of Now, A New Earth, as well as the wonderful webinar with Oprah.
SilencePlease

Postby LightRider » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:54 pm

I urge you guys to read John Wheeler's "you were never born". It is probably the most clearest and succinct books I have ever read on non-duality. I guess I'm now at the end of the search and I've already called it off as I've come to realize the meanings of what teachers like Eckhart, Nisargadatta and John have been saying about awareness and being. Also recommended are John's other books "Awaken to the natural state", "Shining in Plain view" and "Right here Right now". Do yourself a favor and read these books. You will find a peace and joy that are beyond words.

Love,
Teja.
LightRider

Postby Ananda » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Anything by Ramana Maharshi

http://peacefulrivers.homestead.com/Maharshi.html

this is a good place to start

Also anything by Shankara, especially Viveka Chudamani and Upadesa Sahasri which can be found here;

http://www.celextel.org/adisankara/vivekachudamani.html
Ananda

Postby Sighclone » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:30 am

Thanks, Ananda. Of course the young Ananda would choose the oldest sources! What is Advaita without paradox? :D

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Ananda » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:15 pm

:wink:
Ananda

Postby nowhawk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Catching up a bit "late"...
here is partial list (not in importance order...)

- Tolle - The Power Of Now & New Earth
- B. Katie - Loving What Is
- Carlos Castaneda - Journey to Ixtlan & Separate Reality
- Marshall B. Rosenberg - Nonviolent Communication
- David Deida - The Way Of The Superior Man & Blue Truth
- S. Jeffers - Feel The Fear and Do it Anyways
- D. Chopra - The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success & destiny: Harnessing the Infinite Power of Coincidence to Create Miracles
- Don M. Ruiz - The Four Agreements.

and:
- J. Van Oech : A Kick in The Sit of The Pants & A Whack on The Side OF The Head (it is more about creativity, but, hey, creativity comes from...)
- Victor Frankl - Man's Search For Meaning

Thanks.

NH
nowhawk

Postby Robin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:39 pm

1. Awareness by Anthony de Mello!
2. Emptiness Dancing by Adyashanti
3. The power of now and a new earth by eckhart tolle
4. The new testament / Bible and writings from Master Eckhard a christian mystic

cheers
Robin
Robin

Postby surprise » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:51 pm

Power of Now - Tolle
New Earth - Tolle

These were the two books that I have ever read in my life & what a welcome change. I enjoy the world a lot after understanding few ounces of "Non-Resistance/Acceptance of "is"/Illusion of ownership etc
surprise

Postby aurel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:15 pm

In the Vision of God by Swami Ramdas, a "journal" of a spiritual awakening I like to read and re-read, wonderfully inspiring.

The power of now E.Tolle

The Law of Attention by Edward Salim Michael incredibly genuine, how to come back and stay in now, that's the problem, it is not as easy as it may seem, as we know. He understands the difficulties, and that's the difference. This book is a wonder (it is the reedition of The way of inner vigilance) it was impossible to find since years, a jewel...

Pure Heart, enlightened heart by Maura O Halloran. I have been reading and re-reading this story for the last 5 years. More people should know about Maura.
Her story is so personal, so extraordinary and also so simple. Just reading her experiences gives me that second wind of faith and inspiration that says this life is truly possible and great accomplishments can from us "normal" girls.
aurel

PreviousNext

Return to Recommended Books