Wake Up Now - Stephan Bodian

Wake Up Now - Stephan Bodian

Postby erict » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Buy Wake Up Now from Amazon.com; support the forum

I haven't read Wake Up Now, but I've read Stephan's Meditation For Dummies and it was excellent. I think I will order the new one the next time I'll be ordering books.

I was wondering if maybe any of you has read it and has something to share about it.

From the Back Cover

“Both profound and practical, Wake Up Now guides the reader through the intricacies of awakening as only someone who has walked the walk themselves can do. The clarity and compassion it offers are both rare and welcome.”
--Adyashanti, author of The Impact of Awakening and Emptiness Dancing

By simply picking up this book, you've stumbled onto a path that's been hidden from you--until now. It's the path to enlightenment, and it has been traveled by countless individuals through the ages. But this path is a pathless one, a road that keeps changing as your own journey endlessly unfolds. Wake Up Now is your guide for this incredible journey. It won't tell you how many miles you must travel or whether the path will fork left or right, but it will offer you direct pointers that invite you to awaken now and navigate the obstacles, whether external or internal, that might block your path.

Whether you're new to the path of awakening or an accomplished seeker in search of further guidance, this book will show you that enlightenment is always available, right here and right now--just open your eyes.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Re: Wake Up Now - Stephan Bodian

Postby kiki » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:16 pm

I haven't heard of it, but it looks good. Thanks for the heads-up.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby BillyPLed » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:43 am

I absolutely love this book. Not much time now to post about it. I will try to say more later. It is a wonderful "tour" of the awakened life. Highly recommended!
Billy in Lousiana
BillyPLed

Postby E1lycat » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:09 pm

IMO, It's a great book. Clear, direct, easy to understand, and answers a lot of important questions. Has good practical tips. Similar to Adyashanti's style (they're friends, I believe). I highly recommend. :D
I am in need of nothing but the truth

-ACIM-
E1lycat

Postby weopposedeception » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:55 am

I'll second that. Great book.
weopposedeception

Postby Sighclone » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:34 am

Great book by any measure - He was taught by Jean Klein and several Zen masters...has long credentials of spiritual study, worked with both Adya and Byron Katie, contributed a chapter to "The Sacred Mirror."

His last chapter on "Spiritual Bypassing" ( initial awakening not followed by deeper embodiment ) is splendid, clear, funny and resonant.

Five stars, and an upcoming review for amazon! Thanks, all.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Plorel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:52 pm

I found this book utterly amazing. It will join "A new Earth" and "A thousand names for joy" as one of my favourite books of all time.

I especially enjoyed his ability to draw me into presence throughout the whole book. His writings just echoed true within me.
Furthermore he has a very poetic style of writing with a lot of metaphors, illustrating examples of the great sages and famous sayings, which fluently integrate into his writings. On a more personal note, I liked that he referred to Eckhart Tolle, Byron Katie and Adyashanti also, acknowleding those great modern teachings in addition to those of Maharishi etc...

blessings
stefan
Who am I without my story?
Plorel

Postby borris83 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:16 am

Here is an excerpt from this book:
http://www.stephanbodian.org/books2.htm

I also read the preview pages of this book in Google Books and it was great..

I read a few parts of his first book "Meditation for dummies" but it sounded more theoretical book having facts and figures, but the excerpts from this new book 'Wake up now' are awesome and I waiting to read the complete book.

I was wondering if I could find any e-book version of this book to purchase.. If anyone knows where I can buy it as e-book, please let me know..
borris83

Postby Sighclone » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:42 am

Borris83 -

Heck with the ebook, Shanmugam, step up and buy the hard copy. This is a very modern, very complete, amusing, direct, exhaustive and wonderful book. Yes, there is a tiny bit of salesmanship in it, here and there. But I can easily forgive that.

Bodian probably wrote things about spirituality before he was enlightened. So have others (like maybe Wayne Dyer, Annie Dillard, Thoreau, William James, and maybe even Ken Wilber.) And me, too. So at worst, we are echo voices of the great sages, if our imperfect hearts are relatively pure.

But in this book, he's clear, readable and brilliant -- it is very current, uses very modern and also very ancient sources -- extensive reference to Ramana, Nisargadatta, Adya, Eckhart, Byron Katie, Jean Klein, and many buddhists from Mahayana, Dzogchen and Zen traditions. He is very self-effacing and honest -- has great unique ideas, too. If we had an ego to wish, it would be the book we all wished we wrote. Also, McGraw-Hill published it. They are a huge mainstream publisher -- and I'm very happy a big publisher like them has taken interest.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby borris83 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:30 am

Thanks Andy,

Ordered the hard copy 5 minutes before, should receive it in few weeks.. :D
borris83

Postby mmy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:52 am

I love this book and glad it found me. I especially like how he talks about embodiment and living after the “shift”. It’s very supportive for those like me who still get stuck every once in a while.
mmy

Postby borris83 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:00 pm

Got the book this afternoon and it is near my keyboard now :D , Just started reading, will comment more on the book once I complete...
borris83

Postby borris83 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Just finished reading it... Thanks to OnthePath from whom I first came to know this book and thanks to Sighclone for encouraging me to buy this book :)

I got this yesterday in the afternoon and I was living with it till this evening.. Stpehen Bodian covers a lot of aspects of awakening and embodiment and he has answered various questions that we keep wondering about.. And he has used references from various spiritual teachers as well, all of which are wonderful pointers to the truth.

Stephen Bodian has been a wonderful writer for a long time and has also been the editor for the magazine which is his added advantage.. Because of this, he has no trouble in explaining the deep psychological factors that are encountered in the journey..

The part which was more helpful for me was chapter 9, where he talks about 'spiritual bypassing', and most of my questions in this forum are based on what he means by this word 'spiritual bypassing'.. In this chapter, he has cleared some confusion which was seen inside the mind.

I can say that this book is a must-have for people who are searching for the few good books among thousands of books about awakening. But, a warning before you read this book: 'This may be the last book you ever have to read in order to awaken to your true self'.. :D
borris83

Postby Sighclone » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Borris -

You are a serious student of this subject -- I'm glad you agree with me about the merits of this text, and that it has been helpful to you!!

Andy
Sighclone

Postby runstrails » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:21 pm

I concur with all the previous posts and highly recommend this book. It is a comprehensive roadmap of "how to get there" and "what happens after". For those just starting on the 'journey', the first several chapters are an excellent guide to awakening. For those that have had somewhat lasting glimpses of awakening, the last three chapters on how to embody awakening, spiritual bypassing and living the awakened life are really invaluable. That the book is written in a straightforward and utterly readable manner, is a strength. Its far less poetic and more practical than many awakening books, which I appreciated. I think it answered just about every question that I had (except one perhaps). I read it as an ebook from Google--instant gratification if you feel the urge to read it now. You won't regret adding this gem to your library. I'm really glad that the mods put a sticky on this one--or I might have missed it.
runstrails

Next

Return to Recommended Books