Jed McKenna's Enlightenment Trilogy

Laughing Buddha

Jed McKenna's Enlightenment Trilogy

Post by Laughing Buddha » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:11 am

I’d like to draw your attention to Jed McKenna and his books. Jed is no ordinary author. He has written a trilogy of books that are easy to read and very entertaining, yet at the same time exceptionally profound. These books are nothing short of excellent, in fact they’re so spiritually advanced that a lot of people might quite simply not realise what true gems they are.

“Spiritual Enlightenment - The Damndest Thing” is the first in the series and announced the arrival of a major new voice in modern spirituality. Jed McKenna pulls no punches, but tells it like it is. It’s probably not to everybody’s liking, in fact some people might find his approach a bit upsetting, as he obviously is more interested in truth than making you feel good. The second book is called “Spiritually Incorrect Enlightenment” and is every bit as good as the first one. It contains a very interesting and enlightening in-depth discussion about Herman Melville’s book "Moby Dick", as well as more of Jed’s hilarious and outrageous experiences and profound insights. The third book, “Spiritual Warfare”, is in one sense, more of the same, but so well written, insightful and entertaining that it might well be the best of them.

Jed McKenna speaks of enlightenment and spiritual awakening, and does so without compromise. This is not for people who want something nice to play with, something pleasant to doze off to or some new belief or theory to occupy themselves with. Jed McKenna doesn’t provide any kind of self-help and offers no tools for self-improvement. It would be more accurate to say that he encourages a complete dismantling of the self, instead of developing or perfecting it. His message is a stark and unforgiving wake-up call, yet it's all written in the most charming and eloquent manner possible. These are spiritual books in the very best meaning of the word. If you are serious about spiritual awakening, you might consider checking out the weird, wild and wonderful writings of Jed McKenna.

Pathik Strand

Sighclone

Re: Jed McKenna's Enlightenment Trilogy

Post by Sighclone » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:57 am

Oh yes, many of us love Jed. In fact, we kinda think he is Adyashanti. You will notice he is rather well protected by his publisher and there are no You Tube videos, etc...thanks for the reminder and reviews!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:19 pm

I am finally getting around to reading these books. They are as you describe, unsettling, uncompromising, and entertaining. I have the sense I wasn't ready to read them before now...although the ideas expressed are nothing too new, they hit between the eyes.
Be present, be pleasant.

Badger57

Post by Badger57 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks for the "head up" regarding Jed being Adyashanti!I love his work so had to get these! :D I can definitely "hear" him while I read the books. Same gently humourous and self effacing style and lines about his love for cycling and tiramasu are "clinchers!!!" :lol:

Laughing Buddha

Post by Laughing Buddha » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:44 am

There are certainly many similarities between Jed McKenna and Adyashanti, in fact so much so that it's entirely understandable that most people seem to have drawn the conclusion that the books were indeed written by Adya. Whether or not that's the case isn't really of any importance, but just for fun and to add to the growing body of evidence, let me just mention yet another couple of things.

One is the word "grok" which I've never heard any other spiritual teacher than Adya use........until it popped up in Jed's book Spiritual Warfare. It's a funny kind of word that seems almost a bit quaint, so it's a bit odd that they should both use it. The other thing is something I think Jed McKenna has used at least a couple of times, and this particular quote is from page 257 of "Spiritual Enlightenment - The Damndest Thing" (2010 edition):
"In a few years I'll ask her how the enlightenment thing is working out and she'll say "Real good, thanks. Really getting a kick out of it. You?" But that's still a ways down the road."
This exact kind of exchange between teacher and student who meet again further down the road is used as an example by Adya on one of his CDs to illustrate a point to a questioner, although unfortunately I can't remember which recording it's on. It's nearly exactly the same, almost to the word, so I would say that it seems to suggest that Adyashanti really did write the Jed McKenna books or that he's read them and found the above kind of little exchange so good that he decided to make use of it himself.

When all is said and done, written and read, understood and assimilated, it's completely irrelevant who Jed McKenna is on the level of personality. The real thing is what he's written in the books, not whether he is this that or the other person. If he prefers to remain nobody, that's just fine. I can certainly sympathise with him.

Pathik

Quinn

Post by Quinn » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:40 pm

'Grok' is a term from "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Heinlein, written (I think) around the 60's. So either of them would have access to it. It was a pivotal book for me and one of the first times I began to see that 'this world' can be seen from lots of perspectives (and interpretations). Great book for loosening up our hold on what's right/wrong or good/bad. (I haven't read it for 30 years....maybe I should pick it up again and see what I get out of it).

To me, there's a huge difference in style between the two. Adya is forceful and cuts through the crap, but there's an underlying compassion that comes across. I'm halfway thru the second book of McKenna's trilogy. I almost didn't want to read it after the first. There's a tone of....everybody is a jerk and that's the way of it. Nobody really wants enlightenment, and why would they? He seems (so far) to be steadily distancing himself from life in the books. From compassion.

Maybe it's Adya playing with a personality - a part of him that just wants to slap people and say, get over yourself. :D

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Pathik, thanks a lot for the excellent review/recommendation of Jed McKenna's books. I love them a lot myself. Other than Eckhart Tolle, these are some of the most significant books I've ever read (and re-read). Around the same time, I also spent a lot of time listening to Adyashanti, and the number of little similarities/coincidences I noticed kept growing and growing. I've compiled just a part of them here: http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =29&t=2550 There have been many more, which I never bothered writing down.

Are there any other books you might recommend to someone who is into Jed McKenna?
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 am

Since I joined this forum, I have faithfully checked out every author that's been mentioned here, from Adya and Byron Katie to Timothy Freke and Gangaji, and a few others. In this area, the greatest pointers have been offered by Andy and I am very grateful for his suggestions.

After reading Pathik’s recommendation of Jed McKenna earlier today during my lunch hour, I made a mental note to check some of his work when I got home. I just watched a video on youtube called Truth at Any Price – Tribute 1 of 6. The words I heard resonated deep within me, as much as Tolle’s words did almost two years ago when I first bought The Power of Now audio book. I couldn’t help to jot down some of what I heard:

“Beliefs are candles that man uses to ward off the surrounding darkness. They are the charms we use to hold infinity at bay, to dispel the black cloud that hovers over every head.

Your moments of blackest despair are really your most honest moments, your most lucid moments. That’s when you are seeing without your protective lenses. That’s when you pull back the courtains and see things as they are.

This isn’t a song we are singing or a mountain we are climbing. It’s a dream we are unweaving. No belief is true. No belief is true.

All beliefs, all concepts, all thoughts…..yes, they are all thoughts, all bullshit. Of course they are. Not just religions and spiritual teachings, but all philosophies, all ideas, all opinions.

If you are going for the truth, you are not taking any of them with you.

Nothing that says two, not one, survives.”

I see a lot of De Mello’s directness in McKenna. If anyone recognizes the book these words are from, I would appreciate your letting me know so I can add it to my Amazon wish list.

Natalie

Laughing Buddha

Post by Laughing Buddha » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:49 am

Natalie wrote:Since I joined this forum, I have faithfully checked out every author that's been mentioned here, from Adya and Byron Katie to Timothy Freke and Gangaji, and a few others. In this area, the greatest pointers have been offered by Andy and I am very grateful for his suggestions.

After reading Pathik’s recommendation of Jed McKenna earlier today during my lunch hour, I made a mental note to check some of his work when I got home. I just watched a video on youtube called Truth at Any Price – Tribute 1 of 6. The words I heard resonated deep within me, as much as Tolle’s words did almost two years ago when I first bought The Power of Now audio book. I couldn’t help to jot down some of what I heard:

“Beliefs are candles that man uses to ward off the surrounding darkness. They are the charms we use to hold infinity at bay, to dispel the black cloud that hovers over every head.

Your moments of blackest despair are really your most honest moments, your most lucid moments. That’s when you are seeing without your protective lenses. That’s when you pull back the courtains and see things as they are.

This isn’t a song we are singing or a mountain we are climbing. It’s a dream we are unweaving. No belief is true. No belief is true.

All beliefs, all concepts, all thoughts…..yes, they are all thoughts, all bullshit. Of course they are. Not just religions and spiritual teachings, but all philosophies, all ideas, all opinions.

If you are going for the truth, you are not taking any of them with you.

Nothing that says two, not one, survives.”

I see a lot of De Mello’s directness in McKenna. If anyone recognizes the book these words are from, I would appreciate your letting me know so I can add it to my Amazon wish list.

Natalie
Natalie,

If you feel that what you heard on YouTube resonates with you, I would suggest that you read Jed McKenna's first book, Spiritual Enlightenment - The Damndest Thing. I'm not sure which book contains the quotations above, but all three books are of the same excellent quality.

Pathik

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks pathik. I will get the book. Have developed a thrist for these types of books in th elast year or so. Thanks again.

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:53 pm

It seems Amazon does not carry it. Will go to McKenna's website to purchase it. :)

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Amazon has new/used and kindle/PC versions: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097143 ... -1&seller=

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:52 pm

oh, and if you use the amazon icon at the top, this site benefits from it.

navnekalle

Post by navnekalle » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:37 pm

I'm downloaded the audio for The Damndest Thing yesterday and am almost through listening. Perfect work for me. But has anyone noticed an occasional change in his voice? Happens every chapter or so. His voice changes significantly. Might be something wrong with my downloaded version.

About wether he's Adya or not. Who's behind the voice of the audiobooks? Adya's words read by someone else?
“The only real valuable thing is intuition.” - Albert Einstein