Stephen Hawking's new book!

Stephen Hawking's new book!

Postby runstrails » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:11 am

Its called "The Grand Design". I can't wait to read it. I loved his previous book: "A brief history of time"

Here is a preview:

Hawking writes: "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist".
runstrails

Re: Stephen Hawking's new book!

Postby HandfullaMinerals » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:11 pm

I'll probably get the paperback edition when it comes out...

Some religious leaders said it's just atheist groups trying to attack religion.

The way I see it, God is, like Hawking says, spontaneous creation through eternity.

As far as my experience goes, spontaneous creation is God. Not the mental idol most religious people put in a box and slap a label on.
It is the ego which raises difficulties, creating obstacles and then suffers from the perplexity of apparent paradoxes. Find out who makes the enquiries and the Self will be found.
HandfullaMinerals

Postby runstrails » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:52 pm

The way I see it, God is, like Hawking says, spontaneous creation through eternity.

I tend to agree with you iamego! It will be fun to see what Hawking has written in this new book. Its already being drummed up in the media as 'controversial' :roll:
runstrails

Postby forgotaboutbre » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:06 am

The articles I read about Hawking's new book seemed to paint Hawking as an individual who doesn't believe God. The headlines read something like "Hawking says God did not create the Universe". Do you guys think that Hawking doesn't believe in God or is he referring to the "Man in the sky" from Christianity that is most referred to as God. As far as I can tell form immersing myself in chat boards attached to articles, if you use the word "God" and a self righteous atheist reads it he will assume that you are a "Christian Nut" and begin to insult you. It's funny but it almost seems like "God" is the biggest obstacle between people and finding God. Do you think that Hawking was referring to the Christian and other religious ideations of God when he said that God didn't create the universe?

-Mike
forgotaboutbre

Postby runstrails » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:17 am

or is he referring to the "Man in the sky" from Christianity that is most referred to as God.

Yes--as far as I can tell.

Here is a link to a review in the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02118.html
runstrails

Postby runstrails » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:33 am

Here is a link to Roger Penrose's (rather odd) review in the financial times:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/bdf3ae28-b6e9 ... abdc0.html

I found this paragraph from the review quite interesting:

Roger Penrose wrote:
An illustrative example the authors provide involves goldfish trying to formulate a theory of the physical space outside their spherical goldfish bowl. The external room appears to them to have curved walls, despite being regarded as rectilinear by its human inhabitants. Yet the goldfish’s and human’s viewpoints are equally consistent, providing identical predictions for those physical actions accessible to both life forms at once. Neither viewpoint is more real than the other, being equivalent for making predictions.
runstrails

Postby forgotaboutbre » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:42 pm

I'm starting to think that Hawking is talking about God even as he denies God's existence.
forgotaboutbre

Postby runstrails » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:50 am

So, I've started reading the book and am about half way through it. He does a fabulous job of making quantum physics completely accessible to an average reader.

Here are some quotes that should appeal to us 'nowbies':

"An observer of a system alters its course" Pg 80

"Quantum physics tells us that no matter how thorough the observation of the present, the (unobserved) past, like the future, is indefinite and exists only as a spectrum of possibilities. The universe according to quantum physics has no single past or history" Pg 82

" the universe doesn't have just a single history, but every possible history, each with its own probability; and our observations of its current state affect its past and determine the different histories of the universe.." Pg 83

So far its a great, thought provoking read. Its great to be able to put the mind to good use finally--pondering the mysteries of the Universe with Stephen Hawking--what a thrill :D

"
runstrails

Postby mus3cho » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:02 pm

I am reading it right before I go to dreamland at night. I fall asleep with the lights on and the book propped up in my hands. My thought machine is so tired by then I "read" from a different place and that place is stirred with an understanding I wouldn't have if I were using my brain. It is awesome!
mus3cho

Postby IanB » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:47 pm

As far as I can tell Hawking regards God as being unnecessary rather than non-existent. He mentions God a number of times in books and articles, though I have to say I've not read anything more recent than A Brief History of Time. These seem to sum it up:

"We shouldn't be surprised that conditions in the universe are suitable for life, but this is not evidence that the universe was designed to allow for life. We could call order by the name of God, but it would be an impersonal God. There's not much personal about the laws of physics."

"I'm not religious in the normal sense. I believe the universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws."

and famously, of course:

"If we do discover a complete theory, it should in time be understandable in broad principle by everyone, not just a few scientists. Then we shall all, philosophers, scientists, and just ordinary people, be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason — for then we would know the mind of God."

I think he's hedging his bets, just in case...

IanB ~
Know that who you dream of being, how you dream of living in the world, are whispers of yourself waiting to be rediscovered. ~ Aurora at Wild Bliss
IanB

Postby Chelos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:22 am

IanB wrote:
"If we do discover a complete theory, it should in time be understandable in broad principle by everyone, not just a few scientists. Then we shall all, philosophers, scientists, and just ordinary people, be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason — for then we would know the mind of God."

I do like this one best and it deserves special dispensation coming from a person of science
Chelos

Return to Recommended Books