An Extraordinary Absence by Jeff Foster

Laughing Buddha

An Extraordinary Absence by Jeff Foster

Post by Laughing Buddha » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:43 am

With "An extraordinary absence" Jeff Foster has given us a very precious gift. This is a book that cuts straight to the chase and tells it like it is. It's a book whose main message is that of oneness and the illusory nature of the separate person. That's hardly a new message, but it's rare to get it expressed in such a coherent, simple and profound way as in this book. The problem with many books that deal with non-dualist philosophy is that they tend to be full of cliches and banalities, but that's definitely not the case with this book. A distinct clarity rings out to the reader from start to finish and even though it's written in a simple and straightforward style, it's still a book full of truly profound insight. This is one of the few books on non-duality I've read that I would classify as a page turner. It really is that good. There is something innocent and unpretentious about the way Jeff Foster writes. He interweaves incidents from his personal life into the text, but it's done in such a way that it highlights the basic message of oneness in a way that's easy to relate to. No word can express truth, but "An extraordinary absence" is an excellent pointer in the right direction. Very highly recommended for anyone who is drawn to truth and spiritual awakening.

runstrails

Re: An Extraordinary Absence by Jeff Foster

Post by runstrails » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:27 am

Thanks for the review!
I am really enjoying the Q&A on Jeff's site. Some great stuff there.
http://www.lifewithoutacentre.com/dialogues_19.html

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Here is an example from the Q&A: I love his honesty--about how once the concept of "I" is seen through, there is no way of knowing what is beyond. I have rarely seen a teacher be so direct and honest.
"Q: But that is part of reality, too, in some way?
A. Yes, of course, what appears seems real but it is beyond real or unreal, or here and not here. Actually: it is a play, a movie. So, when there is absorption in the movie, when you are mesmerized with the movie, yes, there appears to be a character who lives his or her life, who has friends and relationships and so on, and at the same time it is just a movie. So beyond real and unreal, it is a play. There is no Jeff, there is Jeff. No Jeff, Jeff. Still just concepts, ultimately. Beyond that, there is no way of knowing, there is no way of knowing.

Q: There is no way of knowing what it is?
A. You have no way of knowing what you are, beyond the story of what you are. There is just the not-knowing.

Laughing Buddha

Post by Laughing Buddha » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:50 am

There is a transcript of an interview conducted by Iain McNay from Conscious TV in "An extraordinary absence". This interview is available for viewing at http://www.conscious.tv/ Definitely worth watching if you have the time (less than an hour). There are also many other interesting interviews available at http://www.conscious.tv/ Many of the leading non-duality teachers have been featured there over the last few years.