Reviews, please - Butterflies Are Free To Fly

Re: Reviews, please - Butterflies Are Free To Fly

Postby ashley72 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:55 pm

spikyface wrote:Even Tolle himself struggled to understand what had happened to him after he became enlightened, he spent years reading books before he finally understood

So for some, it is helpful

You only need this moment to see your true nature at centre... It's so so simple people overlook it.

If you want to become a good spiritual teacher, like Eckhart Tolle, then sure you will probably need to read many spiritual texts like he did.

However, lets be clear, there is no struggle in seeing directly at centre... your true nature. On the other hand understandIng another persons mental concepts written in a book can be a struggle.

Here is a lovely quote to illustrate the point.....

"Not even the most accurate and profound description of What you really are can give a clue to What you really are, any more than the letters R E D can give a clue to what redness is. Anything that can be said about the Experience—anything having any content or conveying any information—is light years adrift from the thing itself, and quite incapable of hinting at what it's like. In fact it's like nothing whatever because it is Nothing whatever. Or let's say No-thing whatever, inasmuch as a Nothing keenly aware of itself as Nothing (which This certainly is) is surely more wonderful than the most wonderful some-thing. And there's no creeping or edging up to this wonderful No-thing. Only a sudden, unpremeditated quantum leap will see you over from what's about you to what is you, to your Void Nature." Douglas Harding
ashley72

Postby spikyface » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:19 am

You only need this moment to see your true nature at centre... It's so so simple people overlook it.

Firstly, the only people I've met who suggest that have typically spent years reading dozens of texts and have already internalised the concepts

Then when the "a-ha!" moment happens they ascribe all the significance to that single moment and the previous efforts are dismissed

This is not helpful for anyone who listens to them since the concepts contained in those texts may have been vital mini-realisations in their own right

This is one of the reasons why this book is helpful, he details his entire journey for exactly that reason

In my opinion, one of the biggest holes in Tolle's teachings is that he doesn't teach the path he walked, so there's a vagueness to some of his teachings that's explained in more detail by Adyashanti (who teaches the path he walked and has a remarkable ability to see things from a student's mindset)

Secondly, you've barely glanced at the book and have already dismissed it, saying another book isn't required, yet you continue to quote a different book instead, so which is it? Do you think no more books on the subject are required or only books that you find helpful ?

"Not even the most accurate and profound description of What you really are can give a clue to What you really are, any more than the letters R E D can give a clue to what redness is. Anything that can be said about the Experience—anything having any content or conveying any information—is light years adrift from the thing itself, and quite incapable of hinting at what it's like. In fact it's like nothing whatever because it is Nothing whatever. Or let's say No-thing whatever, inasmuch as a Nothing keenly aware of itself as Nothing (which This certainly is) is surely more wonderful than the most wonderful some-thing. And there's no creeping or edging up to this wonderful No-thing. Only a sudden, unpremeditated quantum leap will see you over from what's about you to what is you, to your Void Nature." Douglas Harding

Thirdly, that quote is remarkably vague and difficult to understand in itself, why not just say it like this:

To try to describe what you really are is about as difficult as describing what "wet" feels like, both are feeling realisations that require you to experience them first
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within
spikyface

Postby ashley72 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:28 am

Spikyface,

I knew that Silence was always there and had been there forever. It had always hummed to me, and to everything else in the world. I had not heard it because pain and trouble had made such a noise in me. But Silence had never gone away. It could not because it was me. And because it was everything I was everything. Realizing this I saw that I was not alone. That I had never been alone for a single moment. Silence needs some sort of a body or It can't express Itself. But the idea that I was that body became suddenly laughable. For I knew now who I really was. I was Silence, infinite in time and space and creativity. And I had tried to squash myself into the boundaries of a little body. No wonder I had suffered.
ashley72

Postby rontant » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:22 pm

It is an interesting read! For those who are familiar with Alan Watt’s writing or talks about “Cosmic Play (of a game of hide and seek)”, and/or with what Mooji’s talks about “Divine Play” (which requires “divine amnesia” ) and/or with the concept of “Leela” in Hinduism, this book will resonate well.
rontant

Postby Matt123 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I have finished the first part of the book and so far it is an interesting read. And the movie hall comparison is very neat. I had a question on this, though. Does this mean we live in a "Matrix" ? And that everything is an illusion? I remember that in one of the audios, ET saying that this is both true and false. But he didnt elaborate. I am guessing that anything which is impermanent is a "dream". But what is the counter argument on this? I particularly find this point important because if the world is indeed a "Matrix" or illusion, then all my anxieties are the same too. And that lifts a big burden off my shoulder, so to speak. Does that make any sense to anyone or is that just me?
Matt123

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Matt123 wrote:Does this mean we live in a "Matrix" ? And that everything is an illusion?

My perspective is yes, every 'thing' we perceive is an illusion. How can it not be when 99.9999% of all matter is empty space. It is just vibrating energy appearing to be solid. That being said, the experience of the illusion that is our human life is quite real and is evolutionary fuel of consciousness.

WW
Webwanderer

Previous

Return to Recommended Books