Reviews, please - Butterflies Are Free To Fly

Reviews, please - Butterflies Are Free To Fly

Postby sadavissr » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:14 am

I have written a new book called "Butterflies Are Free To Fly: A New and Radical Approach to Spiritual Evolution." It is a free ebook, and I would very much appreciate getting some feedback and book reviews, if anyone is interested in reading it. It can be downloaded from www dot butterfliesfree dot com in many different ebook formats. Thanks.
sadavissr

Re: Asking for book reviews

Postby Sighclone » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:33 am

Thanks, Stephen. I will read it and comment -- might take a week. You are a good writer, I can say that, having read the synopsis and first chapter. You present a clear pleasant narrative in an informal ,occasionally whimsical voice.

And the topic is clearly on point for this forum...the Goswami quote and QM background is always compelling for the hardcore intellectual skeptics.

Will you be attending the Second Annual Science and Nonduality Conference in San Rafael this month? Goswami is speaking again, although last year he was a bit testy and obscure.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby heidi » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:56 pm

I am reading, and having good laughs along the way. Very well written, approachable, enjoyable.
If I can get out of my seat long enough, I'll try to give a more thorough review. :D
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby erict » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:27 pm

Normally I wouldn't even consider downloading an ebook by an unknown author, but after reading what Andy and Heidi wrote, I got curious enough to check it out. I'm just posting to say that I'm about 20 pages in, and I'm enjoying the book so far. It might take me a while to finish it, but judging from what I've read so far, I feel other members would enjoy it as well.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby heidi » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:51 pm

I have moved this discussion to the Recommended Books topic.
I'm about halfway through the book, and am just amazed that my Infinite I dropped this in my lap at this time, as the timing couldn't have been better since I was/am dealing with the last hurrah of some big ego judgment/victim dealings with one of the biggest pain in the ass, reoccurring teachers who I had seemingly dismissed, appreciated the lessons, numerous times but was still offering up power to regularly.

I'll do a review when I am finished reading the whole thing, but meantime I can say that this is an engaging read, funny and very human and honest; there is a lot we've heard and read in other places, Loving What is from a different angle, bringing together the teachings of many teachers and giving credit where credit is due.

Thank you Stephen for sharing your book with us.
Heidi
heidi

Re: Reviews, please - Butterflies Are Free To Fly

Postby runstrails » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Given that Heidi and Andy had recommended this book, I downloaded it and read it on two long haul flights this week. It's perfect airplane reading for the spiritual set, the closest thing to a riveting page turner, if such thing exists in the enlightenment genre :wink:

The first half of the book is especially well written describing the authors journey (including all its foibles, failing and 'successes') in an honest and sincere way. The use of metaphors is excellent, e.g, metamorphosis from caterpillar to butterfly via some time spent in the cocoon of awakening; the peeling of layers of self like an onion to reveal 'no-self'. There is an interesting and useful discussion of quantum physics. Easy to understand and useful for the uninitiated.A lot of folks on the forum would resonate with the discussions of ego, acceptance, non-resistance, being in the now/present moment. The issues of judgment, beliefs and opinions are especially well addressed.

The use of science (physcics) to suit some of the authors models is useful, but the antagonistic approach to medicine seemed a little disingenuous and appeared to be part of a larger agenda. (Stephen, would you be able to truly accept it if the sun's rays actually caused skin cancer and if HIV really caused AIDS--there is so much scientific evidence contrary to your claims which was never mentioned--this part reminded me of the 'vaccines cause autism' agenda/argument which has been thoroughly debunked). Anyway, I bring all this up, just to help you to further edit the second half of the book. These anti medicine tirades are really not necessary to what is otherwise an interesting description of your spiritual journey.

The notion of the holographic universe is very interesting. It did not really resonate with me, beyond the fact that reality is not solid and not as we perceive it to be. The possibility of perception as creation was especially interesting. This whole section was sincerely written and as such is as believable or as fantastic as any other explanation of reality!

Anyway, there is a lot worth reading and much to recommend in this well-written and eye-opening book. Well done, Stephen and keep us posted as you soar to greater heights.
runstrails

Postby spikyface » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:49 am

Am currently reading this book and find it especially concise and well thought out (the links to videos like Powers of Ten are especially emphatic) and the explanation of the wave-particle duality in particular

We've covered the double slit experiment in A-level Physics classes before and it never really clicked as easily as it did with the explanation in this book (perhaps because of the pictures and emphasis provided by the quotes):

“The electron is very peculiar in the sense that when you’re not looking, the electron can be here, can be there, or can be over there…. It can be all over this room, so to speak. But whenever we look – this is the strange thing about this electron – we always find them to be in one particular Geiger counter, although we have a room full of Geiger counters. This is the fundamentally important stuff about the electrons.”

This kind of made me sit back and think; "so when no-one is observing these things, they exist in a constant state of un-manifested flux?! Why only one Geiger counter?!"
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within
spikyface

Postby heidi » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Why only one Geiger counter?!"

Might it be that that one geiger counter was the one giving attention to (or focused on) the particle?
Ha, geiger counter as metaphor, too.
Heidi
heidi

Postby runstrails » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:49 pm

Ha, geiger counter as metaphor, too.

:D
runstrails

Postby spikyface » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:18 pm

Might it be that that one geiger counter was the one giving attention to (or focused on) the particle?

Oh heh, apologies, it was more of a general outpouring of exuberant "waaaaaaaahhh?! stop breaking the laws of physics!" than an actual question

Does anyone else get sleepy and have to take a nap after every couple of chapters or is that just me?

For others, the choice can be really tough, especially for younger Human Adults (in chronological age) who have their entire lives ahead of them. I wonder whether it takes a certain amount of time spent in the movie theater before one is ready to consider another option. After all, there’s a lot of fun and enjoyment and pleasure to be found as a Human Adult – limited and restricted though it is – that someone in their twenties or thirties might not be so anxious to miss out on

When each thing you try brings shorter moments of pleasure/satisfaction, you start to notice a pattern

What you're looking for isn't out there, and it becomes increasingly apparent with each greater success/achievement/milestone/relationship that you're not getting the same satisfaction from these events that everyone else your age is. When you start questioning these other people or talking about these kinds of things you would be AMAZED at how defensive or dismissive these people can be so it's not surprising there's a difference between us. They know that all it takes is a few tugs and their happiness unravels and they typically will do everything they can to keep it together

So whilst you might still be at the party, it's the same party you've been to a dozen times before and you know afterwards you'll still be there after everyone else is asleep, staring up at the night sky and wondering if this is all there is

Even a young person doesn't have much of a choice
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within
spikyface

Postby Sighclone » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:44 am

Lovely post, spiky. In an Oprah webinar, Eckhart mentioned that the allure of young-adult-hood keeps the ego strong. He said there was no way he could have awakened before he did. Of course, all those egos also contribute to the creation of 6.5B people.... :)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby spikyface » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:51 pm

Of course, all those egos also contribute to the creation of 6.5B people.... :)

True true, this is somewhat of a sticking point for me at the moment, it's something I'd rather not think about. It's a topic for another thread anyway

Learning to differentiate the sound of your ego from the sound of your own thoughts takes practice and radical honesty.

The only help I can offer is that whenever the “thought” is trying to take you away from discomfort, it is the ego, no matter how rational or attractive the “thought” may be.

This is good advice, taken from chapter 16
spikyface

Postby erict » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:39 am

I think many of the forum members would find this well worth reading.

The book is now available in many e-book formats (epub, mobi, pdf, etc.), and can be downloaded here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/25708

There is also a full audio book version that can be downloaded here: http://www.butterfliesfree.com/audio.html
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby ashley72 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks for the link. I had a brief look.. & came across many common spiritual themes...300 pages of concepts & references which obvisously resonated with the author during his spiritual seeking.

But does one really need to spend hours digesting another book (with a new spin) like that to realise their true nature?

IMO direct experience.... One only needs to (in this moment) point their attention back at centre (their head/face) to see their true nature.

Modern man is more likely to see Who he really is...in a minute of active experimentation than in years of reading, lecture-attending, thinking, ritual observances.

By simply directing your attention to "my" blind spot - to the space I occupy, to what's given right here at the Centre of my universe, to what it's like being 1st-person singular, present tense.
ashley72

Postby spikyface » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:28 pm

Even Tolle himself struggled to understand what had happened to him after he became enlightened, he spent years reading books before he finally understood

So for some, it is helpful
spikyface

Next

Return to Recommended Books