Quotes from Happiness Beyond Thought by Gary Weber

spikyface

Quotes from Happiness Beyond Thought by Gary Weber

Post by spikyface » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Been going through this book (recommended by Sighclone/Andy) at my usual glacial pace and found a few quotes that were extremely helpful

So here they are:

Work
Ramana Maharshi said
"The feeling 'I work' is the hindrance.

Inquire, 'Who works?'... It will go on automatically

Make no effort either to work or to renounce work...

If you are not destined to work, work cannot be had even if you hunt for it.

If you are destined to work, you will be forced to engage in it"
p127

Spiritual fire
"One of the most revealing and useful things is actually meeting and talking with reputedly enlightened folk"
p128

Diet
"There are some important physiological things to remember that will make the emergence of, or persistance of residual thoughts less likely.

Ramana stressed the important of sattvic food or food that neither stimulates nor induces tiredness and dullneess

The most useful advice that I received on food and meditation was from one of my first yoga teachers who told us to keep a food diary and record the effects of different foods on our mental state.

There is no greater source of information than what really does happen to you: it may be different than what is written in the books and it may change from time to time"
p129

Energy
"Another critical aspect is the need for sufficient energy. In my experience, if the body/mind is tired, there is a much higher likelihood of thoughts emerging.

J. Krishnamurti has discussed this extensively in his teachings"
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within