Shantaram - Spiritual Adventure Story

Shantaram - Spiritual Adventure Story

Postby ashley72 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:57 am

I've started reading this book Shantaram... it is the most fascinating adventure story based on real-life experiences.

The author Gregory David Roberts was born in Melbourne. Sentenced to nineteen years in prison for a series of armed robberies, he escaped and spent eight of his fugitive years in Bombay. Where he established a free medical clinic for slum-dwellers, and worked as a counterfeiter, smuggler, gunrunner, and street soldier for a branch of the Bombay mafia. Recaptured, he served out his sentence, and established a successful multimedia company, upon his release. Roberts is now a full-time writer and lives in Bombay, where he established a charitable trust to care for slum-dwellers.

Its a big novel about 932 pages.

The author is a very interesting person and a great thinker... he has a website dedicated to the book and other interesting things including a whole section on Philosophy and another on Poetry.

http://www.shantaram.com/

If you're looking for some quick insights, there is a page dedicated to quotes from the book @ wikiquote

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Shantaram

ashley72

Re: Shantaram - Spiritual Adventure Story

Postby karmarider » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:12 pm

It's a great read.

I think Johnny Depp has the movie rights, but something is holding up the project.

It's a wonderful story of sequential failures and redemption. I can see it as a spiritual story, the whole story is about awakening, and there are specific pointers, for example his surrender when he is being tortured. There's a bit of philosophy sprinkled in--the question of the nature of good and evil and so on. And of course it's set mostly in India, which makes it more fun.
karmarider

Return to Recommended Books