Spiritual literature?

xkatex

Spiritual literature?

Post by xkatex » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:57 pm

I've read some of Paulo Coehlo, and I like him, as he integrates spiritual truth into fiction, and it's really beautiful the way in which we can relate to the characters.

Eckhart mentioned Ian McEwan's 'On Chesil Beach' and how the thoughts of the lovers prevented them from being together. I read McEwans 'A Child In Time' and found it heart-warming, even though the author is not overtly spiritual, and neither is the content, but something deeper shone through.

So I would just be interested to hear some suggestions on beautiful literature, it doesn't even necessarily have to be spiritual, just books or authors throughout history and today, such as Shakespeare, that have captured spiritual truths. Perhaps a book you read moved you. When I think of some more stuff I'll post it :) Authors or poets, anything. Keats is one of my favourites :)

smiileyjen101

Re: Spiritual literature?

Post by smiileyjen101 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:14 am

There is a wonderful trilogy called the Ancient Future Trilogy by Traci Harding that raises all manner of 'issues' and pushes against notions as it twists and turns.
(definitely suggest this for holiday reading so you can read all three at once).

Another one that has stuck with me even though I lent the book years ago and never got it back and I think its out of print now is called 'Mr God this is Anna' by Finn
- about a 5 year old war orphan, her beautiful wisdom and her relationship with Mr God and his boy as well as those she touched around her.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

hanss

Post by hanss » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:00 pm

"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:49 pm

If you like a good adventure story with spiritual messages... This novel I'm reading at the moment is based on true life experiences... It's a fascinating read. I posted about it here. The authors got a great website with lots of interesting content on literature, philosophy, poetry and spirituality.

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =27&t=9054

Midnight

Post by Midnight » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:52 pm

ashley72 wrote:If you like a good adventure story with spiritual messages... This novel I'm reading at the moment is based on true life experiences... It's a fascinating read. I posted about it here. The authors got a great website with lots of interesting content on literature, philosophy, poetry and spirituality.

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =27&t=9054
No doubt Shantaram is a great story, I read it whilst I was in India last year and in Mumbai so many locals still know of him and his exploits, although alot of them were over-exaggerated for dramatic effect.
It's not really a spiritual book though...

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:59 am

Midnight,

It's not a spiritual book... Like say "The Power Of Now".... It's a spiritual adventure story... more in the form of a book like "Alchemist".

This is one of the more notable spiritual passages in the book but there are Many through out the novel.
It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured. I realized, somehow, through the screaming in my mind, that even in that shackled, bloody helplessness, I was still free: free to hate the men who were torturing me, or to forgive them. It doesn't sound like much, I know. But in the flinch and bite of the chain, when its all you have got, that freedom is a universe of possibility. And the choice you make, between hating and forgiving,can become the story of your life.
TO SUDDENLY SEE that you are or have been attached to your circumstances (thoughts of being a victim) can be quite a shocking realization. The moment you realize this, you have broken the attachment.

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Lady Chatterley's Lover - by D.H.Lawrence.

It's big on the mind/body separation. Beautiful :)

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:08 pm

I really recommend The Fault in our Stars by John Green. It's not really a spiritual book at all, I don't think it is. But for me it totally was, in a big, big way. It felt like it was so moving for very personal reasons unique to me, relating to my own views of life, my hopes, my longings, etc. But judging from the number of reviews on Amazon and how overwhelmingly positive they are, obviously the book has moved many people, not just me.

You can check out the reviews and get the book here: Amazon.com.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."