A search in secret India

runstrails

A search in secret India

Post by runstrails » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Has anyone read this book "A search in Secret India". Its by Paul Brunton who is credited with introducing Ramana Maharishi (and yoga?) to the west. It was mentioned in the yoga documentary (Enlighten up) that I reviewed in the Movies thread. Just wondered if anyone had read it? Thanks!

suraj

Re: A search in secret India

Post by suraj » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:16 am

Yes, I read it a few years back and that was my first introduction also to the Maharashi. Being an Indian , it was surprising that I hadn't even heard of Raman Maharashi before.
There are a few remarkable quotes in that book which kept resonating within me for a long time. I don't have the book now(since it was borrowed) , but here is one of them -
Pursue the inquiry ‘Who am I’ relentlessly. Analyse your entire personality. Try to find out where the I-thought begins. Go on with your meditations. Keep turning your attention within. One day the wheel of thought will slow down and an intuition will mysteriously arise. Follow that intuition, let your thinking stop, and it will lead eventually to the goal.
I also liked account of Brunton's meeting with some other folks like Master Mahashay(an enlightened devotee of Ramakrishna Paramahansa), Meher Baba and Swami Vishudhanand - a master of Solar Science.

I tried reading some of his other books like - "A Hermit in the Himalayas" and "The Quest of the Overself" , but couldn't advance beyond a few pages.
I AM