Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Postby Onceler » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Short but fascinating anatomy of a modern spiritual cult......

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index ... urce=atlfb
Last edited by Onceler on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Re: Andrew Conen

Postby kiki » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:18 am

I remember reading a few of his books, and at first he seemed intriguing, but later things just didn't "click" for me; something just felt off/odd and not authentic, so I let my interest drop. Then I started reading about some of the abuses people were going through at his hands. Even his mother denounced him - that said a lot to me. So it's been quite a few years now since I've heard anything about him until this video you posted. Thanks, Onceler.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Re: Andrew Cohen

Postby Onceler » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Yeah, at first he talked the talk, but then I had similar notions about him, Kiki. I think a rule of thumb in this game is not to trust any one person with your spiritual energy and if you find yourself prostrate before a fellow human being, head for the closest exit. :wink:
Last edited by Onceler on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Re: Andrew Conen

Postby steve Davidson » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:04 am

This is a minor correction, but his name is Andrew Cohen.

Thanks for posting that link, i found it interesting. I never followed him, but did hear him give a brief talk once, i was not impressed with him, but i did converse with a few there who were quite impressed with him and have been following his teachings for awhile. Dont know if they still follow or think highly of him, but at one time, he did have quite a following amongst those interested in spirituality.
steve Davidson

Postby Onceler » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:14 am

Ha! Thanks, Steve. I knew that, just a typo.

It was interesting listening to the account of the members as they told about suddenly realizing they were in a cult. Like a snap. Makes me think we are all conditioned at some level and freedom is being free from all this.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby steve Davidson » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:51 am

What i found interesting, is that many of them are indeed intelligent people, and yet they still got so caught up in this. The two guys i talked to were both intelligent too, with good paying jobs, and yet their discrimination about Andrew seemed to be lacking. Even at that time, there were stories circulating about him, but they chose not to believe it and think Andrew was the highest.

I had no idea though what a nutball he really was and the cult like atmosphere he created. I would have ran so quickly out there, that is my personality, i am not into Guru worship like this, especially that poor guy who had to pick out his movies. Hopefully people learned from this and moved on far from him.
steve Davidson

Postby Mystic » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:21 am

People who undergo awakening experiences can start to develop psychic powers, including powers like charisma. Thus the person is in a dangerous stage of development because the ego can re-assert itself with a vengeance... then they may become a cult leader as it has happened to many in history.
Mystic

Return to Spiritual Teachers