Post by karthikeyank » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:15 am

Observer is the Observed.

When you are angry, its not you have anger.
You are anger yourself.

Have anyone observed it ?

Re: Krishnamurti

Post by peleke4 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:24 am

This is why Eckhart places great emphasis on innerbody. If you tune in to the energy movement of anger without labeling it, truly seeing the energy movement for what it is, then you will experience what the observer is the observed is all about.

Let's say anger comes up. The "observed" is the energy movement that thought labels as anger. The "observer" is the "I" thought that believes it is different from the "observed" anger. But the observer is the observed. The "I" thought splits away from the labeled "anger" thought under the belief that it is different and has to do something about it. But it can never do anything about it because it IS "anger" thought itself.

Post by nutrition » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:06 pm

So what to do then? The practical stuff is what always gets me....

Post by goldieflower » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:45 pm

We are all living in a 'thought sphere'. Your thoughts are not your own; they belong to everybody. There are only thoughts, but you create a counter-thought, the thinker, with which you read every thought. Your effort to control life has created a secondary movement of thought within you, which you call the 'I'. This movement of thought within you is parallel to the movement of life, but isolated from it; it can never touch life. You are a living creature, yet you lead your entire life within the realm of this isolated, parallel movement of thought. You cut yourself off from life - that is something very unnatural. The natural state is not a 'thoughtless state' - that is one of the greatest hoaxes perpetrated for thousands of years on poor, helpless Hindus. You will never be without thought until the body is a corpse, a very dead corpse. Being able to think is necessary to survive. But in this state thought stops choking you; it falls into its natural rhythm. There is no longer a 'you' who reads the thoughts and thinks that they are 'his'. Have you ever looked at that parallel movement of thought? The books on English grammar will tell you that 'I' is a first person singular pronoun, subjective case; but that is not what you want to know. Can you look at that thing you call 'I'? It is very elusive. Look at it now, feel it, touch it, and tell me. How do you look at it? And what is the thing that is looking at what you call 'I'? This is the crux of the whole problem: the one that is looking at what you call 'I' is the 'I'. It is creating an illusory division of itself into subject and object, and through this division it is continuing. This is the divisive nature that is operating in you, in your consciousness. Continuity of its existence is all that interests it. As long as you want to understand that 'you' or to change that 'you' into something spiritual, into something holy, beautiful or marvelous, that 'you' will continue. If you do not want to do anything about it, it is not there, it's gone. How do you understand this? I have for all practical purposes made a statement: 'What you are looking at is not different from the one who is looking'. What do you do with a statement like this? What instrument do you have at your disposal for understanding a meaningless, illogical, irrational statement? You begin to think. Through thinking, you cannot understand a thing. You are translating what I am saying, in terms of the knowledge you already have, just as you translate everything else, because you want to get something out of it. When you stop doing that, what is there is what I am describing. The absence of what you are doing - trying to understand, or trying to change yourself - is the state of being that I am describing. ~ U.G. Krishnamurti

Post by rachMiel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:17 am

nutrition wrote:So what to do then? The practical stuff is what always gets me....
What to do about what?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Post by rideforever » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:19 pm

If we are all 'I' then what am I thinking ?

??? anyone ??? I am afraid it is just not so simple as saying your human person thing is meaningless ... it is there, it is real, it might mean something ... no matter how many people say you are just the 'I' of the 'I' or whatever.

Also ... UGK says that "you can't survive without thought."

Well, I thinks it is worth trying. Not interested in any assumptions.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

Post by beginnersmind » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:23 pm

karthikeyank wrote:Observer is the Observed.

When you are angry, its not you have anger.
You are anger yourself.

Have anyone observed it ?
Have you observed it? Let me ask a few questions.

Have you ever experienced the world apart from your mind? Have you ever experienced anger towards someone without experiencing that anger yourself? Of course these are a type of pseudo question, because they are really statements wrapped in question form.

When you experience anger towards another. That anger is held in your mind and projected onto your own body. You cannot be angry at someone without experiencing the negative effects of the anger yourself. You are literally attacking yourself in the attempt to attack another with your anger. It is impossible for this not to happen. Just as it is impossible to experience the world apart from your mind.

Anyone that stops and observes this the next time they get angry will see that this is not just some "spiritual idea", it is a fact.

So when you observe the anger within your mind, the observer and the observed are one.