Ken Wilber Ken Wilber

Sighclone

Ken Wilber Ken Wilber

Post by Sighclone » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:17 am

For about twenty years I have privately disrespected Ken Wilber. His tone has often been very proud and pompous, usually a sign of a big ol’ ego. Which, in his case would be a “spiritualized ego” due to the topics of his 25 books. I have now read “Up from Eden (1982),” “One Taste (1999),” and “Integral Life Practice” (2008.) “One Taste” is the best picture of him as a person and also has many discussions of both his “integral” material and nondual experiences and teachings. His experiences appear to be authentic, as much as I can sense from his writings and my experiences. It is mainly for this reason that I have amended my earlier judgment. Sure, he has a very large opinion of himself. Sure, he thinks a great place for a vacation is the South Beach of Miami. And I can live with his “holier than thou” body language , and tone of voice on YouTube and his presumptuous tone in much of his writings. He has a tendency to misquote slightly, also.

But there are many spiritual teachers who led flawed personal lives, and I have been more able, over the years, to forgive that questionable behavior. And I think Wilber has a fine way of representing The Witness experience. The “Integral Life Practice” and institute seems a bit too much to expect, with all its levels and overlays and checkpoints. Frankly I also think it could be a distraction from a personal spiritual quest (only one of his four quadrants.) Read “One Taste” which is subtitled “The Journals of Ken Wilber” and decide for yourself about him “as a person.” The rest of his books are big and dense and wordy, but not obscure. He does not think highly of postmodern deconstructive thinking, by the way.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Fore

Re: Ken Wilber Ken Wilber

Post by Fore » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:28 am

I like his haircut.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:32 am

One of his detractors has written an essay titled "Bald Ambition."

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:50 am

:lol:
Be present, be pleasant.

Fore

Post by Fore » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:08 am

Sighclone wrote:One of his detractors has written an essay titled "Bald Ambition."
Well that wasn't very nice of them.

Psychoslice

Post by Psychoslice » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:26 am

Yes I just had a look at Ken Wilber on YouTube, he's not bad, but doesn't resonate with me either, I think we all resonate with certain people, its like a radio, we are one channel of that radio, and whoever is transmitting our frequency we will pick up their so called individual personality. But that said, the truth is that we are all one so called frequency, its just the mind body organism that makes its own frequency, and that maybe also someone else's frequency, so hence the like of one person over another, at least on a frequency level.