Wild Wild Country

randomguy

Re: Wild Wild Country

Post by randomguy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:17 pm

The food was poor

That probably says it all. With all the talk of being first in that, new in this etc. and didn't get the food right at the cafe.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:48 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:17 pm
The food was poor

That probably says it all. With all the talk of being first in that, new in this etc. and didn't get the food right at the cafe.
Haw! Nailed it.
Be present, be pleasant.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Cheers Onceler. Thanks for that.
Sighclone wrote: My point is that personality continues, with relatively modest change in style or content.
Yes it seems so, doesn't it? So much of personality seems set in at birth or early age. Rajneesh as an iconoclast, a good word to describe his personality.

I find there is another dynamic at work after the big realizations which might be outside the category of personality. It's like a continuation of questioning of reality or truth which extends into the relationship with the world. The same questioning that was pointed inward into the nature of being also directs to worldly experiences. It could be a simple thing for example I remember holding some cash and wondering, what is this, why is this called money? When I taught my daughter left and right I also asked if left and right were really real? Or It could be for closer experiences such as emotional triggers like wondering what is at the cause of defensive behavior and feelings of anger. Just curiosity, the same curiosity like the curiosity of the question 'what am I?', persistent curiosity that seems to soften the reflexive responses related to what is thought to be perceived.

I remember Adyashanti describing something like this in the awakening process where one just asks "What am I doing?" It's a great question.

If I found myself surrounded with armed devotees provoking and poisoning neighbors, plotting murder and drugging thousands with haldol without their knowledge or consent, I'd like to think despite my calm, funny, sometimes smoldering, captivating, yet warm personality wrapped in guruee with top of the line wrist wear style I'd ask, "What am I doing?" Maybe that instead of which one should be my 25th Rolls Royce?

Here is a simple question taken to the extreme, if Hitler had a beautiful book of pointers to our true nature would it be worth the paper it's sprinted on?
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 pm

When I was an active Christian, I used to ask the question: "If you were in a knife fight with Satan and he suddenly disappeared and left his knife behind, could you toss it in your knife drawer and use it when needed?" Imagine if Hitler's set of pointers had no author, but were just carved on a cave wall somewhere as stand-alone anonymous statements. Further imagine that people tried them out and they' worked' and were respected and even revered for say 30 years. And then Mr. Hitler strolled by and said..."I wrote them" and had convincing evidence that he did. Would they suddenly become invalid?

What did Keats say about 'negative capability?' There are many paradoxes in nondual spiritual writings..."form is emptiness, emptiness is form" etc.....

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:46 pm

That would be amazing. Then you'd get to ask Hitler or this fictional non-dual Hitleresque character we created how did he write those things and do what he did?

Good point that you just don't know.

14 of Hitler's watercolor paintings sold for $450,000 https://news.artnet.com/market/hitler-a ... 000-310065

So I'd have to guess those cave writings would continue to have value to many. Myself, I think I'd move on to some other pointers.
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:03 pm

I remember Adyashanti describing something like this in the awakening process where one just asks "What am I doing?" It's a great question.
My question was "what's going on here??" It really wasn't about "me." While I was intrigued by "Zen Enlightenment" when I first ran across it in the early writings of DT Suzuki, I was really more curious about appearance, perception and 'reality.' The Copenhagen Interpretation was stunning (even though it is falling into some disfavor now) and the "Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser" experiments seemed to suggest that something very special was in the background. Of course, I latched on to TM in 1974, and played that out for many years until I ran into ET.

The big question of "doership" is real, also, as you mention. Is there really an independent agent in here "doing" all this stuff? Or does chocolate just taste good...??? :D

Thanks for hanging out here for ten years!!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:15 pm

Chocolate does taste good!

...and the doer/no-doer rabbit hole tastes a bit like the nothing/everything swirl lolipop that is swiped from your hand before it reaches your mouth.

Much appreciated Andy. I'm just an occasional visitor, a fair weather poster. 10 times thanks in return for you, the regulars and the other mods here. I wave worked out more stuff by hitting submit here than I can say. I'm happy to see the site cruising along.
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho