Vernon Howard

eseward

Vernon Howard

Post by eseward » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:23 pm

I have gotten a tremendous amount out of Vernon Howard's works. The website is http://www.anewlife.org.

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:35 pm

I have a couple of his books and they are excellent!

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:53 pm

Hey, could you guys maybe post some quotes?
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

eseward

Post by eseward » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:58 pm

See how all this connects with the basic technique of impartial Self-Observation. Witness the passage of mental and emotional grief. Watch it pass through you. Do not resist what you see. Do not identify with it, that is, do not take the painful feeling as being part of the essential you. You are someone entirely different. Separate the pain from the person you call "I". This is a challenging practice at first, but it produces amazing results. You have here a mystical practice that changes your life.
Vernon Howard, Mystic Path to Cosmic Power (bolded for emphasis by me)
Last edited by eseward on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eseward

Post by eseward » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:18 pm

Q: I don't understand. You say that awareness of anxiety dissolves it. I know how anxious I am and still it persists.

A: Feeling anxiety is not the same as awareness of it. When you merely feel anxious, you are identified with it; you are so close you can't see it. If you close your eyes and feel a round object with your fingers, you may worry that it is a bomb. Open your eyes and you see it is a harmless ball. Likewise, as we awaken to see things as they really are, our pains disappear.
Vernon Howard, Mystic Path to Cosmic Power (bolded by me for emphasis)

FWIW, for me, dis-identification preceeds and allows seeing clearly and then watching painful feelings fade away.
Last edited by eseward on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lmosrie

Post by Lmosrie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:47 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered one of his cds. I'm looking forward to it. The website seems to reiterate what Tolle says but in a slightly different way. He seems to focus more on the practicality maybe?

cheers,

Louise
"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I have just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well."
-- Diane Ackerman

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:05 am

His books are very practical - self help meets spirituality. They are crammed with clear practical advice while taking you (almost unknowingly) into deep spirtual practice. You can subscribe to a daily e-mail containing a quote - each of these are real gem.

eseward

Post by eseward » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:41 pm

Two farmers own wells. The well of the first farmer is dry. He gets water only when rainfall fills it accidently and irregularly. That farmer is insecure and apprehensive; he is at the mercy of chance. The well of the second famer is fed naturally and constantly by an underground stream. That farmer is relaxed and unworried.

When living from our True Source, we are relaxed and unworried.
Vernon Howard, The Mystic Path to Cosmic Power

weichen

Post by weichen » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:22 pm

eseward wrote:Do not identify with it, that is, do not take the painful feeling as being part of the essential you
FWIW, for me, dis-identification preceeds and allows seeing clearly and then watching painful feelings fade away.
Thanks eseward. I feel closer to truth now.

Vpopov81

Just read a Vernon Howard book

Post by Vpopov81 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:59 am

I just read "The Power of Your Supermind" Vernon Howard is an excellent teacher and gets a bit more technical into the dysfunctional mind identified state and focuses on the mental movies etc. Basically an extension of the same teaching, even tho by 2 different men. I highly reccomend Vernon Howard and I have 2 more of his books coming. Thanks for this post.

WWW.LIFEWITHVERNONHOWARD.COM FOR TREMENDOUS VH RESOURCES.
Last edited by Vpopov81 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eseward

Post by eseward » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:19 pm

Vpopov81, I'm very happy to hear that Vernon had something to offer you. Thanks for the feedback.

eseward

Post by eseward » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:32 pm

We cannot increase our basic happiness by altering exterior conditions like marriage, residence, career. Every attempt to do so only increases the sense of despair. It is the essential self that must be changed. Our level of consciousness must be raised...

As your consciousness grows, you will see that you are not a sending set, as previously assumed, but a receiver. You have nothing to do but welcome the healthy impressions that seek entrance all day long. This brings relief from useless struggle and from false responsibility. Suppose a television set thought it was a sending station. It would be useless. When it plays its correct role of receiver, it functions normally.
Vernon Howard, The Mystic Path to Cosmic Power, (c) 1967

eseward

Post by eseward » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:42 pm

Here again we see the need for being aware of ourselves, for observing what goes on beneath our surface activities. A person might think, for example, that he is very happy while at a picnic. But, beneath his outer gaity, he might have dozens of subconscious worries over his finances, or worries about whether others like him or not. A clear awareness of such negativities would destroy them, for the sadness is in the thoughts themselves, not in the finances, or in acceptance by others. We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see.* We are freed by conscious perception.**
Vernon Howard, The Mystic Path to Cosmic Power, (c) 1967

* We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see within us and are therefore identified with, IMO.

** We are freed by conscious perception which results in disidentification, IMO.

din

Post by din » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:48 pm

Lmosrie wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered one of his cds. I'm looking forward to it. The website seems to reiterate what Tolle says but in a slightly different way. He seems to focus more on the practicality maybe?

cheers,

Louise
I just love this story of becoming...

In this story there is the belief that this "separate" person can give "me" something that will make me more complete, more whole.

Because the present moment just isn't good enough.
:)

eseward

Post by eseward » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:50 pm

din wrote:I just love this story of becoming...

In this story there is the belief that this "separate" person can give "me" something that will make me more complete, more whole.

Because the present moment just isn't good enough.
Interesting. Not the explanation I would have made. :)
Last edited by eseward on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.