Vernon Howard

eyogateacher

Post by eyogateacher » Sat May 19, 2007 3:27 am

For the past 2 weeks I have been reading the book "The Mystic Path of Cosmic Power" by Vernon Howard . A very excellent book with lots of valuable information and advice for people serious on the spiritual path .

Vpopov81

Guy Finley

Post by Vpopov81 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:56 pm

I know Guy Finley has his own thread, but I just wanna reemphasize how powerful his book "Freedom from the ties that bind" is. He quotes Vernon Howard many times and in my opinion is able to expand a bit more than Vernon. Guy also picked up on how Vernon refered to presence as Supermind, and himself refers to it as the "Free Mind" and the old state as "Me Mind". I purchased the 3 books 2 by Vernon HOward "supermind" and "Mystic Path" and guy finleys "freedom" and the 3 books went perfectly together.

hope this helps.

eseward

Post by eseward » Tue May 22, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Victor. :)

TolleFan

Ordered..

Post by TolleFan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:54 pm

I just ordered the book myself, thanks for the lead. I'll let you know.

eseward

Post by eseward » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:03 pm

Vernon Howard, in Secrets For Higher Success, wrote:Our major motive must not be to change something in the exterior, but to become conscious of something in the interior, for consciousness alone produces authentic change.

TolleFan

Question...

Post by TolleFan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:51 pm

OK eseward - maybe you can help me with this.

I am reading the book you recommended, and it's cool. It's the CD I picked up that I have a question about.

And please don't get me wrong, this is the kind of thing that could come off wrong in a print forum.

On the CD (I can't remember the name offhand, something about "eliminating blockages, or something like that", Mr. Howard maybe seems like he got up on the wrong side of the bed, or maybe that's how he always speaks?

For example, he just seems to keep pointing out how miserable and wretched people's lives are. How stupid they act. how pathetic they are.

Of course, he offers an alternative. It just seemed to me to be a much harsher approach than Tolle (as an example).

Is there a purpose for this? Is it a strategy? Or just him.

Again, I am trying to print this out without judgement, I don't know where he is coming from so I am looking for more information. It is not a denouncement or anything like that. Far from it, I know he knows his stuff.

eseward

Post by eseward » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:14 pm

He comes off like that in talks. Very different than Eckhart. The books generally have a very different tone.

eseward

Post by eseward » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:53 pm

Vernon Howard wrote:We are exactly where we have chosen to be, but we belong where our True Self longs to be.
For me, this choosing occurred by accepting various thoughts that occurred within us as true (aka identification). We didn't realize the consequences at the time.

As we disidentify with that within us which creates discomfort/pain, we move closer to where our True Self longs to be.

TolleFan

Howard

Post by TolleFan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:00 pm

eseward wrote:He comes off like that in talks. Very different than Eckhart. The books generally have a very different tone.
Cool, thanks. That's what I see too, I think the book is quite different, the CD took me by surprise.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:38 pm

Hey Tollefan,
I don't know it you looked into Guy Finley or not (there is a link in the thread "Guy Finley Quotes" in this Spiritual Teachers section), but he has a similar approach to Vernon Howard but he seem more mellow in his speaking voice. There are many free audio bites on his web site to sample.

eseward

Post by eseward » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:15 pm

Vernon Howard, in Secrets For Higher Success, wrote:Paul E. used to get disturbed when unexpected obstacles slowed down a business plan. But during one particular delay he saw himself standing apart from the impatient reactions which formerly captured him. He was pleased at this sign of progress.

TolleFan

Cool...

Post by TolleFan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:36 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Hey Tollefan,
I don't know it you looked into Guy Finley or not (there is a link in the thread "Guy Finley Quotes" in this Spiritual Teachers section), but he has a similar approach to Vernon Howard but he seem more mellow in his speaking voice. There are many free audio bites on his web site to sample.
Thanks Webwanderer.

eseward

Post by eseward » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Vernon Howard, in Secrets For Higher Success, wrote:"Have confidence in yourself" is popular advice with both a false and a true meaning. It depends upon what is meant by the "self". If it means a seemingly separate personality which seeks power over others, which is always demanding something, the advice becomes just another road to ruin. But if we take the self to mean an awakening point of cosmic consciousness, which steadily expands its vision of reality, the advice is accurate and inspiring...

The diligent traveler will see himself change before his own eyes. The wish to dominate is replaced by a wish to explore; no longer does he want to make a good impression, but to make a mental transformation; the desire to possess gives way to a detached enjoyment...

A king's servant secretly tried on the king's crown, to find it fitted exactly. Later, he was found to be the long-lost heir to the throne.

Vpopov81

Post by Vpopov81 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:56 pm

Just ordeed "Solved: The mystery of LIfe" because it focuses on the manifestations of how other egos "people" try to feed off of your energy. I'll let you guys know how it is once I'm done.

Finbarr

Post by Finbarr » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:17 am

Thanks, eseward for introducing us to another exciting teacher. I look forward to checking him out as the quotes opened some doors. Its good to approach enlightenment from different angles.