John Sherman

Vpopov81

Post by Vpopov81 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:10 pm

The main difference of Eckharts teaching is rising above thought whereas sherman isnt concerned with that. If you go back to the post called "Knowing the ego is an illusion is not enlightenment" I made a whole post where people find out that they arent the ego and consider themselves enlightened. I beleive that every single one of us knows who we are, but the ego still is running a muck with us because we havent risen above thought which is what eckhart is pointing to.

eseward

Post by eseward » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:40 pm

Nice post, Victor. Thanks.

Agnieszka

Post by Agnieszka » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:20 pm

Hello,

Recently, thanks to you, I've been watching J. Sherman on google. And I think I may suggest that you watch this video: At The End Of Your Rope.
I won't say anything about it, just listen if you have time (1h28min).

I hope the link works:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... hn+Sherman

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:41 am

The link works - I enjoyed it very much. :D Thanks for posting.

summer

Post by summer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:11 am

I listened to most of the video and I wonder if John is really in touch with Who He Is. He seems to claim that he is, but I am not so sure. Why is his energy so heavy?

Someone mentioned that he is speaking of something much different than Eckhart is. And maybe I am missing the point. But it seems to me that Eckhart has discovered his true Self, and he is as light as a feather.

Agnieszka

Post by Agnieszka » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:48 pm

Summer, you say that his energy is "heavy". We all perceive others in certain ways and call it "energy". It's simplification but understandable. How else could we describe it? The way one looks and talks - clothes (colors), face, eyes, voice timbre, gesture, mimicry, the smell if met in person - it all affects us in a certain way.

It's strange how differently we see others and how differently we are seen by others and why is that so? I see (or FEEL rather) everybody as having (or being) some kind of very specific "texture" which I find difficult to describe (some people I perceive as shimmering :D , transparent, some are kind of fluid and colorful, some dull, even "dark" or "boiling" so to say, others seem very "solid" to me). And of course I may like it or not. I can't see the same light (awareness) in all people as ET says we all ARE.

It's very personal, very individual and it's just the structures (our false personalities) we built through life. Look into Sherman's CV - very impressive :D . Everything he's lived through and done must have had an impact on his looks - it may be this "heavy energy" you talk about. But he also has loads of calm and peace in him. Is it enough to listen and follow him? I don't think so. There must be something else that draws people to his satsangs. He offers some disillusionment and, at the same time, appeasement to the seekers. I think I deep down agree with what he says because he doesn't promise any bliss and ascension. No lies, genuine, sincere. That's my view (for the time being :) ).

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:03 am

I feel he lives what he speaks. There is a geniune quality to him that is unmistakeably authentic in my eyes. I like that he appears "normal" in the sense that he is just like everyone else; no air of "spirituality" about him, nothing out of the ordinary, just a normal guy who has seen through the illusion and relentlessly points others to the seeing of the truth within themselves. "Just return to the truth of what you are, that's enough" seems to be his main message, and everything else is irrelevant. Simple and direct - I like that. But then, that's just how I see him.

summer

Post by summer » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:13 pm

We all perceive others in certain ways and call it "energy". It's simplification but understandable. How else could we describe it?
So true, Agnieszka,
What is probably more surprising is that we often trust our limited perceptions, and then conclude that "This is the way it is"

I was also impressed with John Sherman's genuineness, and lack of frills or false promises. The End of The Rope is a very provocative video.

Thanks for sharing it.

Ives

Post by Ives » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:21 pm

What, he doesn't have flowing robes, a beard, sandals? Jesus Christ, he can't be spiritual!

I'm kidding, of course.
John seems the real thing, in my humble opinion.

Lozza

Post by Lozza » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:04 am

I was rivited... But please correct me if I'm wrong. What he said in a nutshell, is for each of us to ask ourselves "Who am I" or Who really is the I in me, or to realise who I is.

fnktrry

Post by fnktrry » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:24 am

Lozza wrote:I was rivited... But please correct me if I'm wrong. What he said in a nutshell, is for each of us to ask ourselves "Who am I" or Who really is the I in me, or to realise who I is.
You are here, are you not? How do you know you are here?

Don't ask your mind. Imagine you are three and you are looking in the mirror. You know you are here, you don't have to ask yourself or form words/theories to explain it! It's the most fundamental aspect of our existence.

You can join John for an online satsang. See his website for details.

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:53 pm

Lozza wrote:What he said in a nutshell, is for each of us to ask ourselves "Who am I" or Who really is the I in me, or to realise who I is.
Yes, that's the message, and as fnktrry points out no words or thoughts are necessary for that answer to be discovered. John returns again and again to Ramana's teaching, and that is to ask "Who am I?" The intent of the question is to turn awareness away from the content of the mind (thoughts) to the source of the mind, consciousness. In other words, discover what is here now before the arising of thought, what exists while thought is present, and what remains after thought ends. That's what you are, that ever present consciousness.

mikel

Post by mikel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:03 am

I enjoyed this Satsang "Escape From the Spiritual Ghetto" with John Sherman...

http://www.riverganga.org/john/Podcasting/index.shtml

TolleFan

Post by TolleFan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:07 am

"There is only one self, not one self looking for its higher self. There is only you, really."

A quote from the video.

Is that a refuting of the ego vs. true self?

Goldenflutist

Post by Goldenflutist » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:02 am

I watch about 30 minutes of the video. Thanks for sharing.

The way it works for me is -- if I purchase a new car that is running beautfully and meets all my needs, then I have no need to shop around at another car dealership. :wink:

GF
A dog's eyes reflect the innocence and beauty of nature.