John Sherman

mikel

Post by mikel » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:45 am

Is that a refuting of the ego vs. true self?
I understand it to mean, there is only you(consciousness) everything else comes out of that (arises) that includes ego, the false belief is that we attach our identity to the ego, we attach ourselves to a manifestation which is highly dubious, unpredictible and will attempt to create logic whenever and whereever it can, even if it means creating false beliefs.

The fruits of waking up are that you can untie yourself from the squirelling mind which will endlessly drag you hither and tither, and rest easy on the solid ground of consciousness (you), once you are at home there you can watch the squirelling mind flying hither and tither and overtime become quiet...

I like the medicine, more please :)

eseward

Post by eseward » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Beautifully said IMO, mikel. I like that medicine too. :)

TolleFan

One self

Post by TolleFan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:26 pm

Thanks mikel - I sort of thought that too, but his repeated statements about that made me wonder.

Also, it occurred to me that maybe he meant that we are all on individual journeys. We all have a history that invokes certain unconscious actions and are evolving towards an inevitable future self with less of that involved.

In the here and now, we all have those individual issues we face, a unique path we forge, as we head closer towards that "knowing yourself" that he prays for.

Therefore, maybe that one SELF that he refers to is us in the here and now, including to whatever degree we are "controlled" by the ego.

mikel

Post by mikel » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:53 pm

I'm a little confused myself now :) I'm more interested in the medicine, perhaps the rest of it will reveal and resolve itself through the knowing...

mikel

Post by mikel » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:13 pm

sorry tollefan for some reason I only got the first line of your post hence the confusion. now that I've read the rest of your post I can see what your saying
Therefore, maybe that one SELF that he refers to is us in the here and now, including to whatever degree we are "controlled" by the ego.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. I gather he is saying it's all you the only problem is this false belief about ourselves...

Goldenflutist

Post by Goldenflutist » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:31 pm

The books and lectures given by Eckhart and himself produce a feeling of peace, a different state of consciousness. The ego latches onto this and wants more of it.
Maybe this is your experience, but I don't like generalizations. My "ego" did not pick up a copy of the POW in order to be enlightened as you stated earlier. I came upon one of his DVD retreats purely by accident. The experience I had with Tolle is simply that the message is delivered in an overall format that spoke to my particular mindset.

What we should all be celebrating is the fact that consciousness is indeed gaining a foothold in a relatively unconscious world, and it is being brought to all by different individuals using more or less the same pointers.

What works for one might not work for others as far as persona goes. I think this was brought out in an earlier post. I found Sherman dry as well.
Maybe it was sitting in front of a computer screen instead of having his lecture on my MP3 player to listen to when I am in a more comfortable setting.

I am satisfied with what Eckhart has put out and do not want more. That is why I am not investigating Sherman. I am just glad to know he is reaching others.
A dog's eyes reflect the innocence and beauty of nature.

mikel

Re: John Sherman

Post by mikel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:12 pm

"The last resort", 1 video in 4 parts, Offers insight about the pursuit of spirituality and enlightenment as a means to an end, and goes into that which to some may be of more importance, the ever present, unnaffected truth of who you are.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=riverganga

Sighclone

Re:

Post by Sighclone » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:07 pm

kiki wrote:I feel he lives what he speaks. There is a geniune quality to him that is unmistakeably authentic in my eyes. I like that he appears "normal" in the sense that he is just like everyone else; no air of "spirituality" about him, nothing out of the ordinary, just a normal guy who has seen through the illusion and relentlessly points others to the seeing of the truth within themselves. "Just return to the truth of what you are, that's enough" seems to be his main message, and everything else is irrelevant. Simple and direct - I like that. But then, that's just how I see him.
I only viewed a couple of minutes of his video, but was struck with a thought: after awakening, we still occupy the form-body we had the day before. Any heaviness in John which we see is likely residual scarring from the years he clung to and nourished a dense pain-body.
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce