OSHO

runstrails

Re: OSHO

Post by runstrails » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:27 am

I'm really enjoying OSHO these days. He was so goofy personally but sometimes he comes up with such fabulous gems, like this one:
Life is eternal, hence there cannot be any goal. All ideas of goals are contradictory to the idea of eternal life. And if life is eternal, then you have to enjoy each moment as if you have reached the goal. Each moment is a goal in itself. Don’t wait to rejoice when you have reached the goal. That kind of goal does not exist. Use every moment as if you have arrived. It is always as if you have arrived. You are always arriving.

And I don’t think existence wants you to be serious. I have not seen a serious tree. I have not seen a serious bird. I have not seen a serious sunrise. I have not seen a serious starry night. It seems they are all laughing in their own ways, dancing in their own ways. We may not understand it, but there is a subtle feeling that the whole existence is a celebration. I teach you celebration. And laughter has certainly to be one of the major ingredients in this celebration.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:12 am

And this beautiful passage--so reminiscent of ET:
We divide time into three tenses: the past, the present, the future. But it is a wrong division. Time
consists only of the present, and mind consists only of past and future. You are mixing two things
together.

Meditation will help to give you the clarity to divide them exactly as they are. Mind is memory of
the past and mind is imagination for the future. But time itself is undividedly only present. You
never meet yesterdays, and you never meet tomorrows. What you actually encounter, always, is the
present moment.

The moment you realize this, you start settling withinwards. All movement is outwards, all movement
is extrovert. No-movement is introvert, no-movement is going inwards, just settling at the very center
of your being – not even a ripple, no thought, no dream, no desire.

This is actually the state of meditation. Mind has gone with the movement; it was another name of
movement. It kept you busy and occupied with the future, with the past, with everything except the
present. It was very reluctant to come to the present. That’s why people find it difficult to meditate.
Mind pulls them either towards the past, where it is perfectly happy, or towards the future, because
only in the past or in the future can it live. The present is nothing but death for the mind. But death
for the mind is the beginning of your authentic life. Mind keeps you living an unauthentic life. All
your despair, all your agony, all your misery are the children of your mind. As movement stops, mind
stops. Suddenly you are here and now. For the first time you touch existence. For the first time you
are awake. The dream of the mind, the sleep of the mind is no longer there.

In this awakening moment you find yourself – not the ego that you used to think is you, not the old
personality that you always believed in and had remained identified with. That personality, that ego,
was all part of the mind; with the mind, they have all disappeared. All that fog is no more there – just
a crystal-clear clarity, a transparency, a silence, alive, full of peace and a subtle joy so deep that you
have never known such a depth before. You could not have even conceived or dreamed of it.
This is not only your self, this is the universal self too. Because it is also the universal self,
Gautam Buddha decided to call this experience ‘no-self’, simply to emphasize that you are no more.
Existence is: you are gone. Now the whole has taken over. You are conscious, conscious for the
first time in totality.

And new things start happening to you. They are just the opposites of what mind was creating.
Instead of agony, you have ecstasy; instead of misery, you have tremendous blissfulness; instead
of despair, you are utterly at ease; instead of feeling a meaninglessness, for the first time you see
the significance and the beauty and the glory that has been bestowed upon you by existence. And
without any effort on your part a tremendous urge arises to thank the whole, to be grateful, to dance
in gratitude, to sing in gratitude.

To me, the only true prayer is that which comes out of gratitude, not addressed to any god, not
addressed to get anything, but addressed to the whole of existence for all that it has already given to
you. It is so much. You suddenly see that you don’t deserve all this. You have never earned anything
of it: all this beauty, all these blessings, all this ecstasy. You cannot conceive that it is your earning.
It is simply a gift from the beyond. You can only bow down to it – not to anybody in particular, just
to the whole that surrounds you. As a fish is surrounded by the ocean, you are surrounded by the
whole.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:22 am

He is very popular here -- wonderful writer. Did he lie? Did he break some laws? I don't know. Here is his awakening:

http://www.realization.org/page/doc0/doc0015.htm

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

spiritofyouth

Post by spiritofyouth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Osho was asked why he sounds and seems so egoistic, and if all enlightened masters are egoistic like him. http://www.oshoteachings.com/osho-do-al ... as-you-do/

And to me the way he dressed, the way he behave like a king, a rockstar, and also the 90 rolls royces are really refreshing compared to the idea that an enlightened person must be "humble" and "have no possessions" so on. If enlightement is freedom, then an enlightened person is free to have 90 rolls royces! Wether it is a big joke on materialism or whatever his reason was, he still has the freedom and the right to do it. And then all the "humble" people keep on condemning it.

He was rebellious :)

karthikeyank

Post by karthikeyank » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Good, i was in a fantastic forum to share our insights for better understanding of ourselves

Mathew Kalavany

Osho

Post by Mathew Kalavany » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:28 pm

When I see Osho,I feel like seeing crucifix.Jesus only died in the cross.But,Osho lived in a cross made by his own disciples.He compromised very much to bridge between himself and his immediate listeners.Hence,only a small portion of his teaching sustain a perennial value.But,J.Krishnamurthi,his contemporarian,was at the other extreme.He never adjusted anything to suit those who followed him for decades.

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Thu May 03, 2012 9:50 pm

My take on Osho :

When you are free you can do what you like. You are FREE.

Sit in a cave with one robe and one bowl ... if you like. It has some beauty ... but if you change your mind take your clothes off and dance, grow your hair long and let it fly in the wind ... it is all a gift ... a mystery ... god ... a gift so profound - don't you want to dance ?
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

boogeyman

Post by boogeyman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Just recently heard about Osho. I watched a few of hes videos on youtube and the intensity in hes eyes immediately got my attention. He looks very fierce like he's about to kill someone, but then the words come out of hes mouth and it's quite the opposite ;) That unwavering presence that he has, makes me smile. My heart started to glow when listening to him.
After watching some more of hes videos I started to noticed that he always has some huge shiny watch or jewelery on he wrist. Thought to my self "what a weird thing for a spiritual teacher to have." Then I read about the Rolls royce collection and the thing that happened in the US with hes followers. Kinda made me skeptical about he's supposed enlightenment.....but then again, who am I to judge. Maybe it's just media hype and peoples(me included) expectations of how a spiritual teacher should act and live he's life.
I'll just stick to what I know; He's teachings resonate with me.

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:28 pm

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:22 pm

Drop all beliefs, all disbeliefs. Let the mind become less cluttered. Remove all unnecessary luggage, become more unburdened. The more unburdened you are, the closer to truth. When you are absolutely unburdened, empty, when you are just there, with no idea surrounding you, truth happens. That is what Zen people call satori. It happens in a state of no-mind. And the beginning of no-mind is the dropping, slowly slowly, of all kinds of prejudices -- Christian, Hindu, Mohammedan; these are all prejudices. Communist, Catholic... these are all prejudices. And to cling to these prejudices is a very very irreverent act, very egoistic, because these beliefs are claims, and claims without any validity. You don't have any existential validity for them -- you simply believe because you have been told to believe. You believe out of fear or you believe out of a certain conditioning; because it was a coincidence that you were born a Buddhist or a Christian and you were taught Christianity or Buddhism. And your mind has been fed with information from the Bible or the Koran and now you are repeating it. ~~~Osho

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:49 pm

:)
You are too full of gibberish, you know too much. Because of your borrowed knowledge and too many words moving inside you, you cannot see the wordless beauty that can only be experienced in silence. ~ Osho

kwes

Post by kwes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 am

I didn't "get" Osho until I had an "awakening" - now he is one of authors that makes the most sense to me.

This is also true of Lao Tzu (before they were just some cool poems).

gniz

Post by gniz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:37 pm

I met a "teacher" in San Diego who used to know Osho back in the 70's. I believe my teacher is awakened, and he hasn't said a huge amount about his time with Osho, except that when he sat face to face with Osho, he never saw the man "make a mistake." From my teacher's perspective, I believe he meant that he never saw Osho go "unconscious" and "unaware" he was present at all times.

My teacher is also a very funny guy, with a slightly different emphasis on the teachings, he has his own style, but when I watch video of Osho or read his teachings, I can recognize the core of it and the similarities. It's amazing to think how that candle flame of awareness can light another and another--I am, in a strange way, awakened from that same energy, as my teacher has sparked my own awareness into functioning to a large extent.

I also used to spend a lot of time delving into how a particular teacher could be awakened and yet seem to do so many odd things like own cars or maybe drink or whatever. Now I don't spend as much time worrying about that. There is a freedom, and besides, they and we are still human--our humanity and foibles do not go away. instead, we just learn to see what we are beyond all of that shit.

This thread is really nice and glad to see people here can appreciate the beauty of what Osho offered.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:40 am

Welcome gniz! Getting past the personality quirks of teachers is important. (Nisargadatta was a big smoker.) But since there are many spiritual imposters, nondual posers, and a large number of fairly gullible seekers, completely ignoring the public behavior of teachers might be too naïve. One of my favorites, Ramesh Balsekar got into some legal, and I believe, financial battles...there is a fair amount of commentary on the web. We Wu Wei is a fine nondual writer, but more than once denied being awakened. I think the spectrum is broad, and that so long as one is able to fully plumb his or her own intuition, that the real teachers for each of us will emerge, warts and all.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:35 am

Welcome to the board, gniz.

If anyone wants a very thorough book on approaches to awakening read Osho's The Book of Secrets. A very big book (over 1300 pages) at a reasonable price ($29) - pure gold.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.