OSHO

Sighclone

Re: OSHO

Post by Sighclone » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Ordered it today - thanks kiki!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

beginnersmind

Re:

Post by beginnersmind » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:31 pm

kiki wrote:He was another one of those guys I read years ago (Rajneesh back then) that I just couldn't understand, but I kept trying. Then when things went crazy with his followers in Oregon I wrote him off completely. After reading ET everything just "clicked" and I revisted some of my old books, Krishnamurti and Rajneesh in particular. Suddenly I was struck by the clarity and brilliance of what Rajneesh was saying in particular. I have since read more of his stuff, now sold under the name "Osho", just to enjoy his flair for describing this whole thing - very entertaining and insightful.

It's perplexing and sad to see how he himself succumbed to egoic weaknesses (setting himself up as a guru, the 90 Rolls Royces, and drugs among other things), and then allowing his followers to get out of control. Maybe it was just his way of saying "Screw it, it's all just show anyway, I think I'll make it an unforgettable one."
I think Osho is an example for the need to have discernment on the spiritual path. While people may want to think that scandals only happen in organized religion, it is fairly common among "unorganized spirituality" where teachers abuse their position and take advantage of impressionable students. There are teachers out there who may be insightful, but who also don't deal with their own shadows and do the inner work, thus confusing insight with enlightenment. Without doing one's own inner work, often times the teacher then projects these unresolved aspects of himself/herself onto the students and/or the world. If someone listed of the things attributed to Rajneesh and/or his followers during his stay in Oregon without saying it was Osho/Ranjeesh, I think the person reading the list would most likely think it was talking about someone in the mafia.

The idea that this is merely a play so screw it, is a common attitude among the neo-advaitic teachers who believe they are far more spiritually advanced than they actually are. Spiritual bypassing and spiritually transmitted disease can run rampant in these circles as the teacher doesn't do their own inner work in favor of projecting themselves as enlightened and thus transmitting these ideas to the teacher's followers.

The idea that it is all an illusion so screw it, do whatever you want is the ego's idea of a "get out of jail free" card. This is the idea that since it doesn't matter in the ultimate sense, then it doesn't matter. Yet this is a very immature approach to spirituality since when one begins to see the ultimate they don't disregard the relative. The idea that it doesn't matter is the hedonistic attitude wrapped in spiritual platitudes with sociopathic tendencies. It is certainly a result of spiritual bypassing and ego enlightenment.

Personally, OSHO doesn't speak to me. There's nothing he has said that I haven't already heard from others and while no one is perfect, what OSHO said seemed often antithetical to what he did. He didn't seem to be able to walk his own walk very well.

Eric

Psychoslice

Re: OSHO

Post by Psychoslice » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:50 am

Osho the rebel, he has influenced me a lot, in fact I only read his books these days, such humour and a danger to the establishment of the sleeping world governments and churches, you cannot go wrong with osho.

amar

Re: I fully agree with you Kiki .

Post by amar » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:42 pm

kiki wrote:He was another one of those guys I read years ago (Rajneesh back then) that I just couldn't understand, but I kept trying. Then when things went crazy with his followers in Oregon I wrote him off completely. After reading ET everything just "clicked" and I revisted some of my old books, Krishnamurti and Rajneesh in particular. Suddenly I was struck by the clarity and brilliance of what Rajneesh was saying in particular. I have since read more of his stuff, now sold under the name "Osho", just to enjoy his flair for describing this whole thing - very entertaining and insightful.

It's perplexing and sad to see how he himself succumbed to egoic weaknesses (setting himself up as a guru, the 90 Rolls Royces, and drugs among other things), and then allowing his followers to get out of control. Maybe it was just his way of saying "Screw it, it's all just show anyway, I think I'll make it an unforgettable one."

Do yourself a favor, though, and set aside any personal feelings about how he went about things and read some of his stuff. You may be surprised.