Tyler Durden

Vpopov81

Tyler Durden

Post by Vpopov81 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:38 am

For anyone who hasn't seen fight club I highly reccomend it. Not because I want people to start underground fight clubs but because I think movies like this rank up there with the Matrix for elevating human consciousness a tad bit. As crazy as he was Tyler was a spiritual teacher.

Fasty

Post by Fasty » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:31 am

I agree!

Some examples that really struck a chord with me:

"The things you own end up owning you."

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."

Ives

Post by Ives » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:06 am

Fasty wrote: "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
I don't agree!

No, seriously though, Fight Club is a riot of a movie. Maybe not for the faint-hearted (lots of blood), but it certainly kicks ass. Lots of observations about the sleeping nature of man.

proudlybeing

Post by proudlybeing » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:23 am

fasty wrote ;

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."

Hmmm , not sure on that one either,
if my posts tommorow read like ' cluck cluck etc
you know this one was wrong !!!
My heart (and being) felt thanks to the force(es) than bring me to share this site and journey with you all.

eseward

Post by eseward » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 pm

:lol:

cramias

Re: Tyler Durden

Post by cramias » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:01 am

Here is a post I found, that draws some connections between Tyler Durden's sayings, and the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. There's actually a lot of parallels. Fight Club quotes are mixed from the book and the movie, Tolle's words are from Power of Now, Stillness Speaks, and the audiobook "Living a Life of Inner Peace". A few small modifications have been made.

Fight Club: you're not how much money you've got in the bank. You're not your job. You're not your family, and you're not who you tell yourself.... You're not your name.... You're not your problems.... You're not your age.... You are not your hopes.

Tolle: "You are not your future/past, you are not your story, you are not your emotions or thoughts, you are not your form/body"

Fight Club: This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

Tolle: Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

Fight Club: Maybe self-improvement isn't the answer.... Maybe self-destruction is the answer.

Tolle: I cannot tell you any spiritual truth that deep within you don't know already. All I can do is remind you of what you have forgotten. Love, joy, and peace cannot flourish until you have freed yourself from mind dominance

Fight Club: "You buy furniture. You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life. Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled. Then the right set of dishes. Then the perfect bed. The drapes. The rug. Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you."

Tolle: We can feel glimpses of real joy and well-being when the movement of needing the next thing momentarily subsides. And we think the reason we feel so good in the moment is because we got that thing. That's not true. Why they feel so good is because the movement of needing the next moment desperately to fulfill me for a little while isn't there. You just bought the BMW and it stands there and you're looking at it saying "it's mine" and for a moment you don't need anything anymore because you've got it. And you feel good. You think you feel good because of the BMW. It's nothing to do with it. Where's the goodness? In that piece of metal? No, it's in you. You feel it in here (Tolle puts hand on chest) because for a moment, the movement of wanting the next thing subsided. And it doesn't last very long because it has an illusion attached to it. The illusion is: it's there. And then comes wanting again.

"Pleasure is always derived from something outside you, whereas joy arises from within"

"Nothing out there will ever satisfy you except temporarily and superficially, but you may need to experience many disappointments before you realize that truth"

Fight Club: We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Tolle: You must have failed deeply on some level or experienced some deep loss or pain to be drawn to the spiritual dimension. Or perhaps your very success became empty and meaningless and so turned out to be a failure.

Thinking, or more precisely identification with thinking, gives rise to and maintains the ego, which, in our Western society in particular, is out of control. It believes it is real and tries hard to maintain its supremacy. Negative states of mind, such as anger, resentment, fear, envy, and jealousy, are products of the ego.

Humanity is under great pressure to evolve because it is our only chance of survival as a race. This will affect every aspect of your life and close relationships in particular. For those who hold to the old patterns, there will be increasing pain, violence, confusion, and madness.

Fight Club: After a night in fight club, everything in the real world gets the volume turned down. Nothing can piss you off. Your word is law, and if other people break that law or question you, even that doesn't piss you off.

Tolle: In Zen they have koans and it's almost as if a koan spontaneously appeared in my mind. And then, beyond thought, there was a recognition of the "unhappy me," as I later called it, as being something completely non-substantial and fictional. At that moment the whole structure of the "unhappy me" and its pain collapsed because the withdrawal of identification was so complete. What was left was simply beingness or presence.

The next morning I woke up and even before opening my eyes I heard the sounds of birds and it was so precious; everything was so precious. Then I opened my eyes and everything was alive and new and fresh as if I had never seen it before. And I walked around and picked up things and looked at them. I was amazed at everything. There was no understanding of it. I was not even trying to understand anything. It was just so beautiful. Then I walked around the city in the same state, even in the midst of traffic. I was in a state of amazement and it was all so beautiful.

Fight Club: You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

Tolle: When you walk through a forest that has not been tamed and interfered with by man, you will see not only abundant life all around you, but you will also encounter fallen trees and decaying trunks, rotting leaves and decomposing matter at every step. Wherever you look, you will find death as well as life.

Upon closer scrutiny however, you will discover that the decomposing tree trunk and rotting leaves not only give birth to new life, but are full of life themselves. Microorganisms are at work. Molecules are rearranging themselves. So death isn’t to be found anywhere. There is only the metamorphosis of life forms. What can you learn from this?

Death is not the opposite of life. Life has no opposite. The opposite of death is birth. Life is eternal.

Fight Club: God's got this all wrong. We are not special. We are not crap or trash, either. We just are. We just are, and what happens just happens.

Tolle: Your acceptance of what is takes you to a deeper level where your inner state as well as your sense of self no longer depend on the mind’s judgements of “good” or “bad.” When you say “yes” to the “isness” of life, when you accept this moment as it is, you can feel a sense of spaciousness within you that is deeply peaceful.

Fight Club: Hitting bottom isn't a weekend retreat. It's not a goddamn seminar. Stop trying to control everything and just let go! LET GO!

Tolle: The pain that you create now is always some form of nonacceptance, some form of unconscious resistance to what is. On the level of thought, the resistance is some form of judgment. On the emotional level, it is some form of negativity. The intensity of the pain depends on the degree of resistance to the present moment, and this in turn depends on how strongly you are identified with your mind.

Fight Club: No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Tolle: When your attention moves into the Now, there is an alertness. It is as if you were waking up from a dream, the dream of thought, the dream of past and future. Such clarity, such simplicity. No room for problem-making. Just this moment as it is.

Fight Club: How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?

Tolle: When your life is threatened, thought suddenly collapses. And fear also goes. People have reported after their lives were threatened after some imminent accident, for example, or they were hanging on a cliff wall... what is there to think about? You can't think. And no right action is going to come out of thought at that critical emergency situation.

Thought subsides...gets out of the way and an intense alertness or aliveness takes over. It is a stillness too but there's an intensity to that stillness. And out of that - which is the unconditioned intelligence in you - emerges the "I am"-ness. Out of that, right action happens. There's no decision-making, it is spontaneous.

When the emergency is over, the old though-dominated state of consciousness comes back. And the next thing is you begin to remember your problems again. But then you remember also for that moment you lived in a state of blissful clarity. In this state, you may sense an aliveness running though your entire energy field. Every cell is alive with life; aliveness. So what this sense of aliveness ultimately is, who you are beyond the mind-made story of who you are that is never enough.

Fight Club: At the time, my life just seemed too complete, and maybe we have to break everything to make something better out of ourselves.

Tolle: (speaking to a crowd): No matter what happened in your history, it has taken you to this moment. It's taken you here... all the mistakes, without the mistakes you probably wouldn't be sitting here, you'd be watching TV. You must have suffered enough... to have come here... and it's GREAT! [audience breaks out laughing and clapping]

Fight Club: Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Tolle: Is suffering really necessary? Yes and no. If you had not suffered as you have, there would be no depth to you, no humility, no compassion. You would not be reading this now. Suffering cracks open the shell of ego, and then comes a point when it has served its purpose. Suffering is necessary until you realize it is unnecessary.

Fight Club: If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler

Tolle: The insanity of the collective egoic mind, amplified by science and technology, is rapidly taking our species to the brink of disaster. Evolve or die: that is our only choice now. The fate of our species is in our hands.

FINAL WORDS:

All these words are nothing but pointers. And they are pointing at . . .

Find out for yourself: What is the . . . they are pointing at?

caitriona_oha

Post by caitriona_oha » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:15 pm

Wow Cramias!

I love it! That's amazing. I watched 'Fight Club' years ago, long before I ever came into contact with Eckhart's work. Thanks for drawing those connections. Great post my friend :)

Caitríona
Dig within. Within is the wellspring of Good; and it is always ready to bubble up, if you just dig.

Marcus Aurelius

monmonn

Post by monmonn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:43 pm

I wonder where did the author of fight club get the idea of 'ego-death' before eckharts work came out ?

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:21 am

I wonder where did the author of fight club get the idea of 'ego-death' before eckharts work came out ?
That idea isn't new with Tolle; it's been around for a couple of thousand years.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

monmonn

Post by monmonn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:40 am

That scene with Tyler burning the guys hand, and him telling him that theres a chance god hates us and all this stuff.

What was that about? I understand that accepting pain is a part of achieving enlightenment but eckhart doesnt mention how theres a chance that god hates us, he just says god is love.

Someone explain

thanks

ivory

Post by ivory » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:34 am

monmonn wrote:That scene with Tyler burning the guys hand, and him telling him that theres a chance god hates us and all this stuff.

What was that about? I understand that accepting pain is a part of achieving enlightenment but eckhart doesnt mention how theres a chance that god hates us, he just says god is love.

Someone explain

thanks
Love is just a word that points to the same abstract concept as God.

Don't get too caught up in it. If God was the Love you are thinking of, "he" wouldn't allow the tragedies we've become so accustomed to on the news: rape, murder, child molestation, genocide, poverty, starvation.

In fact, I think this is exactly Tyler's point: Open your eyes, you are not special.

arel

Post by arel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:32 pm

monmonn wrote:That scene with Tyler burning the guys hand, and him telling him that theres a chance god hates us and all this stuff.

Someone explain

thanks
I love Fight Club... That scar on their hands, does that remind you of certain body part of a certain sex? :) Source of a lot of suffereing for many guys. And intense suffereing begs for looking closely at what is going on. And that is helpful.
What I say is only my viewpoint.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:50 am

I see the Fight Club as a man's journey through awakening, violently destroying his life to face his delusions, and then seeing a much deeper level of delusion, and then violently destroying this delusion, in what seems like complete insanity and anti-social attitudes to observers.

It's very much a Jed Mckenna kind of approach to awakening.

Like Arjuna, first falling down, but then finding the courage to slay his own relatives (attachments), and Ismael as Captain Ahab (man), allowing the death of his two sons (attachments), in his insane single-mindedness to slay Moby Dick (maya).

This theme that awakening is ultimately a violent, destructive process which looks like insanity to conventional observers shows up quite a bit in movies and literature when you look for it.

Shows up in Aldous Huxley, Ray Bradbury, George Orwell, others I'm sure.

Carmius, excellent job with parallels to Tolle.

I think Chuck Palahniuk is very similar to Jed Mckenna.

cramias

Post by cramias » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:35 pm

I've been reading this site:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/ ... _Palahniuk

Which has a collection of quotes from Chuck Palahniuk, including but not limited to Fight Club. There's actually a ton of good quotes that are pointers towards awakening. Here's a few that I found to resonate:

"The unreal is more powerful than the real. Because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. Because its only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. Stone crumbles. Wood rots. People, well, they die. But things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on. If you can change the way people think. The way they see themselves. The way they see the world. You can change the way people live their lives. That's the only lasting thing you can create."

"If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character...Would you slow down? Or speed up?"

"Until you find something to fight for, you settle for something to fight against."

“We can spend our lives letting the world tell us who we are. Sane or insane. Saints or sex addicts. Heroes or victims. Letting history tell us how good or bad we are. Letting our past decide our future. Or we can decide for ourselves. And maybe it's our job to invent something better."

"You can spend your whole life building a wall of facts between you and anything real."

"People are all over the world telling their one dramatic story and how their life has turned into getting over this one event. Now their lives are more about the past than their future."

"When we die, these are the stories still on our lips. The stories we’ll only tell strangers, someplace private in the padded cell of midnight. These important stories, we rehearse them for years in our head but never tell. These stories are ghosts, bringing people back from the dead. Just for a moment. For a visit. Every story is a ghost."

"I want out of the labels. I don't want my whole life crammed into a single word. A story. I want to find something else, unknowable, some place to be that's not on the map. A real adventure. A sphinx. A mystery. A blank. Unknown. Undefined."

"People fall so in love with their pain, they can’t leave it behind. The same as the stories they tell. We trap ourselves."

"people don't want their lives fixed. nobody wants their problems solved. their dramas. their distractions. their stories resolved. their messes cleaned up. because what would they have left? just the big scary unknown."

"We'll be remembered more for what we destroy than what we create."

"This is the biggest mistake I could think would save me. I wanted to give up the idea that I had any control. Shake things up. To be saved by chaos. To see if I could cope, I wanted to force myself to grow again. To explode my comfort zone."

"It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace."

"I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom. "

"Fuck me. I'm so tired of being me. Me beautiful. Me ugly. Blonde. Brunette. A million fucking fashion makeovers that only leave me trapped being me.
Who I was before the accident is just a story now. Everything before now, before now, before now, is just a story I carry around. I guess that would apply to anybody in the world. What I need is a new story about who I am.
What I need to do is fuck up so bad I can't save myself."

"Without access to true chaos, we'll never have true peace. Unless everything can get worse, it won't get any better."

"Don't do what you want. Do what you don't want. Do what you're trained not to want. Do the things that scare you the most."

"Old George Orwell got it backward. Big Brother isn't watching. He's singing and dancing. He's pulling rabbits out of a hat. Big Brother’s busy holding your attention every moment you're awake. He's making sure you're always distracted. He's making sure you're fully absorbed. He's making sure your imagination withers. Until it's as useful as your appendix. He's making sure your attention is always filled. And this being fed, it's worse than being watched. With the world always filling you, no one has to worry about what's in your mind. With everyone's imagination atrophied, no one will ever be a threat to the world."

"When you understand," Brandy says, "that what you're telling is just a story. It isn't happening anymore. When you realize the story you're telling is just words, when you can just crumble up and throw your past in the trashcan," Brandy says, "then we'll figure out who you're going to be."

"I wanted to write about the moment when your addictions no longer hide the truth from you. When your whole life breaks down. That's the moment when you have to somehow choose what your life is going to be about."

"people had been working for so many years to make the world a safe, organized place. nobody realized how boring it would become. with the whole world property-lined and speed-limited and zoned and taxed and regulated, with everyone tested and registered and addressed and recorded. nobody had left much room for adventure, except maybe the kind you could buy. on a roller coaster. at a movie. still, it would always be that kind of faux excitement. you know the dinosaurs aren't going to eat the kids. the test audiences have outvoted any chance of even a major faux disaster. and because there's no possibility of real disaster, real risk, we're left with no chance for real salvation. real elation. real excitement. Joy. Discovery. Invention. The laws that keep us safe, these same laws condemn us to boredom. Without access to true chaos, we'll never have true peace."

"The only way to find true happiness is to risk being completely cut open."

"You have a choice. Live or die. Every breath is a choice. Every minute is a choice. To be or not to be. Every time you don't throw yourself down the stairs, that's a choice. Every time you don't crash your car, you re-enlist."