David Carse

yougarksooo

David Carse

Post by yougarksooo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:39 am

He claims to not be a teacher. He wrote Perfect Brilliant Stillness. I'm reading right now. Quite good. Here are some excerpts:

Look, it's all so incredibly simple. There is no one here. This is not a figure of speech. I mean there is truly no one here, no person, no individual speaking to you. You look at me and think there is a person here talking to you, trying to tell you something. I assure you, there is not. Look at me. If there were not Consciousness streaming through this body, what would be here? What would this body be if Consciousness were not here? A corpse, of course! Dead matter. There is nothing else here. There is only the appearance of a body, and Consciousness which animates it. You, along with the rest of the world, have assumed that there is a discreet individual person here: that the Consciousness which is the animating force here is an individual consciousness, unique to this body and separate from the consciousness in other bodies.

This is based on appearances: there appear to be separate bodies, so the assumption is that there are separate consciousness-es. The belief in this assumption blinds you to seeing What Is, and is also the cause of your experience of this life as disquieting, confusing, unhappy, and generally full of fear and suffering. But it is not the case. There is in no way an individual sitting here talking to you. This body is nothing, an appearance in the dream. All there is is Consciousness, and it is Consciousness which is streaming through this appearance.

There is nothing here that exists in and of itself. What we call the human being is not an independent being, not an originating mechanism, not a transmitter. It is a relay station, a pass-through mechanism for Consciousness, the One Consciousness, All That Is. That is what I am, talking to you. And it is the same One Consciousness listening to this, looking back at me out of those eyes you call your own. What I am when I say 'I Am' is exactly the same as what you are when you say 'I Am.'

Once seen, the irony of the situation is staggering. Look: what you think of as your'self,' what you perceive as an individual person, this idea of being a separate entity, a body-mind-personality-soul-intellect: this is a subsequent by-product, an artifact, an almost accidental side effect of this streaming, this flowing of Consciousness. It is the streaming of Consciousness in this organism which the organism inaccurately perceives as a 'mind' which it thinks is its own: it is the very Consciousness streaming in this organism which allows this perception at all, which makes it possible for this organism to think it is other than that same Consciousness. A simple, innocent misperception. And a silly one, because the very One who appears to be thinking this, who appears not to see, not to understand that it is not as a separate individual and is only as All That Is, is Itself the very I-ness that is the only Is-ness of all seeing, of all understanding.

Look into what is behind this perception. Investigate what you think of as your'self.' This is the purpose, the meaning of all spirituality, of all seeking, of your very being: to understand this amazing intricate play of Consciousness by seeing what is this illusion, this mistaken perception, and what is its source which makes it possible. What you are, you always already are. It is by seeing what you are notthat there is a stepping away from it, stepping out of the misconceived role of a separate fearful individual.

When you step out of what you are not, what remains is not something you have to become, but what you always already are. That is why there is nothing you have to do, or become, or learn, or practice, or work at, or purify. It is completely effortless to be in your natural state. What is full of difficult, constant effort is maintaining this false and unnatural idea of being somebody, of being an individual, a separate something. You are a non-entity! Let it go! When it is let go of, you rest in the effortlessness of All That Is, of what could be called your natural state.
"When people ask me who they are or who God is, I smile inside and whisper to the light: there you go again . . . pretending."

Adya

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:52 am

Brilliant! Thanks for posting.

I sometimes think of it like this: Consiousness is like a flowing river. If you've ever looked at a river you will see small swirling eddies of water that appear to be separate. Sometimes there will be bits of matter swirling in the center of those eddies. This gives another layer of appearance to make separation seem more real. From our viewing perspective, however, we can see that each of those eddies is actually only an appearance in one whole body of water.

Those bits of floating material in the center are like egos, giving the impression of separate entities when viewed from the perspective of the eddy. Remove that bit of material and what is found? Nothing! Then the center of the eddy disappears and merges into the wholeness of the river. That bit of material doesn't even have to be removed but only seen through as an illusion for the river to be seen as wholeness. You are wholeness, the one consciousness, the river.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:53 pm

Thanks yougarksooo for that excelllent quote. I am enjoying resting in the clarity of its message.

yougarksooo

Post by yougarksooo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:42 pm

Wonderful description Kiki. Here is some more:
The odd thing about 'spiritual seeker' characters, the ones that talk about wanting to wake up, is that while they are saying that they are simultaneously, and completely realizing it, spending most of their time and energy actively doing whatever they can to prevent that from happening. Seriously. You think I'm exaggerating with all this, but I'm not. Seekers talk about waking up, about enlightenment, but almost none have any idea what they are talking about. They talk about it as something they can get, something they can come to, 'attain,' that will change them and how they experience life. It's apparent that somewhere along the line these dream characters have absorbed some dream idea of 'waking up' that apparently means some shift in the dream but quite clearly does not involve actually waking up, which would necessarily mean that the dream, and they, would cease to exist as such.

Spiritual seeking is the art of walking in very small circles. This does two things: it creates the illusion of motion, of getting somewhere; and it prevents one from stopping, from becoming still, which is when one would look around and see the futility of it all. Working on being 'spiritual' reinforces the ego, the sense of self, pretty much the opposite of doing anything that might damage it in any way, let alone lead to its death.

If you're going to do anything, do this. First, figure out whether this waking up, this enlightenment is really something you want. Do you really want to die? Do you really want for 'you' not to exist, and for living to continue, if it does, not as who you know and love as yourself but as a hollow husk with impersonal Consciousness blowing through it? If this is what you want, then you are talking about waking up from the false dream of individuality, and then you can proceed. Your thinking, your praying, your meditating, your asking questions at satsang, whatever you do, will be with the realization that what you think you are is illusory, with the intent of exploding, obliterating, that illusion called 'you.'

If you decide that what you really want is something other than this complete and ultimate 'waking up,' then bless you. Have a wonderful life; enjoy the incredible banquet of material and spiritual and psychological and New Age goodies that are out there. Grow and expand and change and develop and improve your life immeasurably; evolve and become more mature and deeper and wiser and more beautiful. Discovery your higher self and your lower self and fulfill them. I mean this sincerely. But in that case don't come here talking about waking up; that just doesn't make any sense at all.

The ego seeks fulfillment, and if awakening is marketed as satisfying that need, then what is being offered is bogus. True awakening is awakening to the annihilation, the dissolution of that which seeks fulfillment. And of course, as you may perhaps intuit at this point, the wonderful aching beauty is that in this annihilation every longing, hunger and thirst that any mind/body apparatus ever felt is resolved and dissolved, perfected, healed and made forever irrelevant. The ego seeks fulfillment, but what is Understood in this annihilation is so huge that no mind, no ego, no heart could ever possibly hold it. The human race has no idea what fulfillment truly is.
Perfect Brilliant Stillness, David Carse
"When people ask me who they are or who God is, I smile inside and whisper to the light: there you go again . . . pretending."

Adya

Vpopov81

the 2 kinds of seekers.

Post by Vpopov81 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:36 am

What really gets under mys kin is these people who are shouting there is nothing to attain blah blah blah. IN my opinion there are 2 types of seekers. Those who have really descended into psychological hell looking for a way to regain peace, and those who are just playing dungeons and dragons looking to become enlighetened because it sounds cool. For the 1st group the way out of pain is showed by Eckhart as Rising above thought which obscures the light of consciousness by creating negative emotions through mind identification. the 2nd group need only be told that they are consciousness and not ego and then they feel enlightened. There is a huge difference and again this goes back to the post I made way back called Knowing the ego is false is not enlightenment. Thats why all these gurus who tell you just stop looking are part of the 2nd group like gangaji and adyashanti. But Eckhart on the other hand points to a new state of consciousness which Gurus such as the guy who was quoted are not pointing to. Their task is just showin you that you arent the ego which can be done in 2 seconds to an inteligent person. Hence my frustration with all these gurus tellin u u dont have to do anything.