Leonard Jacobson - A Personal Recommendation

EvB

Leonard Jacobson - A Personal Recommendation

Post by EvB » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:25 am

I'd like to offer the teachings of a spiritual teacher I have been working with closely, named Leonard Jacobson. Leonard teaches liberation from the mind/ego and living life fully in the present moment as Eckhart does. I resonate completely with Eckhart, and studied The Power of NOW, his tapes and cd's for several years. That is why I feel you will appreciate Leonard. Leonard has a fun teaching style, is extremely profound and always teaches from presence. I've been attending Leonard's retreats and workshops, and have listened to his teleconferences regularly, for several years.

Leonard's teaching has worked extremely well for me because he's great at directly engaging the ego and getting to the core of what is preventing people from being present. I wanted a teacher who could offer guidance, answer questions and correct misconceptions about presence and spirituality. Leonard does all of that and more.

Another reason I appreciate Leonard's teaching is that he offers clear, specific guidance on "Emptying out reservoirs of repressed emotions (what Eckhart refers to as, "Transmuting the pain body")." For me, just being present with and witnessing the pain body was not enough to heal the wounds and repressed emotions that I had been carrying around and identifying with, since childhood. My pain body was very dense and I could rarely be present, if at all. Leonard takes much more of a hands on approach to healing the past, so that you can be more available to the present moment.

Attending workshops and retreats with Leonard are priceless (although inexpensive) and are still possible to attend on a regular basis. If you are interested in learning to master your own mind and ego, and would like to reallly wake yourself up with guidance from a true master, check out his website...

http://www.leonardjacobson.com

Here is a link to the audio/video page on Leonard's site.
A good video to start off with is "At Home in the world of Now."
http://leonardjacobson.com/video_video.php

Evan

Here is a Q&A from Leonard's website about dealing with repressed pain...

How do we deal with difficult emotions like sadness, hurt and anger, and how do these repressed emotions affect our capacity to be present?
To the extent that you have past emotions repressed within you, you cannot become permanently established in Presence. You can be present for short periods of time, but soon, those repressed emotions will be triggered, and you will be pulled back into the past and future world of the mind. The past will come flooding in to distort the truth and reality of the present moment. If you are to awaken and become permanently established in Presence, you will have to go through a process of allowing these repressed emotions into conscious and responsible expression. It is not difficult and it should not take very long, once you learn the art of being fully present, and once you come into right relationship with your feelings.

When you came into this world, you were a very present little Being. But you came into a world where no one was really present. To varying degrees, your mother and father were unconscious, wounded, and lost in the world of the mind. Very simply, they were unable to be present with you to the extent that you needed them to be in order for you to feel safe in such a new and strange environment. And so, during those early formative years, your needs were not being met. You felt hurt over and over again. And in response to feeling hurt, you became angry. But you soon discovered that these feelings of need, hurt and anger were either too much to bear or were simply not allowed, and so you began the process of repressing them within you. They gradually accumulated into reservoirs of repressed feelings held within the body and now they are constantly being triggered in reaction to events in your day to day living and in your relationship with others. These repressed feelings project onto the present moment and distort your sense of what is really happening. To the extent that you believe in the story behind the emotions, you are caught in your own past, and lost in a world of illusion. You are not in the truth of life. Your experience of life is delusional. If you are to liberate yourself from these projections from the past, you will have to go through a process of allowing these repressed emotions to surface into the light of consciousness.

When emotions arise, do not have the sense that you are trying to get rid of these feelings. You are simply inviting everything that is repressed within you to arise. The feelings will surface with a story from the past. It is important that you do not believe in the story, and yet you must allow the story to emerge. It is as though you are playing two parts. On the one hand, you are needy, sad, hurt, or angry and you express it fully and authentically. On the other hand, you are fully present as the feelings arise. You are witnessing the whole event as it emerges from within you, and you know that it does not have anything to do with the present moment. You know that it is simply the past emerging for completion. If anything, you are mildly amused by the whole experience. This is not therapy. You are not trying to fix anything or get rid of anything. You are simply correcting the earlier decision that you made as a child to repress difficult feelings. You denied those feelings the right to exist. And now you are restoring to those feelings their right to exist and express. But as an awakening adult, you do so responsibly. Do not dump the feelings on anyone. These feelings need you to be present with them as they surface and express, and they need to arise and express within an environment of love and acceptance. They need to be allowed to be themselves as they express. Anger needs to be allowed to blame and cuss and kill in response to feeling hurt. Allow it full expression. But do not identify with it. Do not believe in the story. Exaggerate it until you begin laughing. Anger repressed leads to violence and abuse of others. Anger expressed responsibly leads to laughter, forgiveness and compassion. If sadness arises, then cry. It will soon pass and be replaced by joy. Do not be afraid of your feelings. They cannot hurt you, and if you accept full responsibility for your feelings, they will never lead you to hurt or abuse others. And your body will be extremely grateful to you for relieving it of the burden of having to store these repressed and painful emotions for you. - Leonard Jacobson
Last edited by EvB on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eseward

Post by eseward » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm

Excellent, EvB! Thanks much for posting. Exactly in keeping with the teachings of Vernon Howard (and Eckhart as well IMO).

TolleFan

LJ

Post by TolleFan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:41 pm

Thanks from me too. I'll be checking him out further, I liked both your quote and the video.

EDIT - just bought his most recent book!

EvB

Post by EvB » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:01 am

I'm glad you like it. If you have any specific questions regarding presence or the ego, I'll be happy to give you Leonard's take on the subject.

Evan

EvB

Post by EvB » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:55 am

Hey TolleFan,

Great to hear that you bought "Journey into Now." It's a complete guide to awakening into life lived fully in the present moment. One great thing about Leonard's teaching, is that everthing is very simply stated. Leonard addresses the part of you which is already awake. He often affirms that from presence, he cannot tell you anything which you don't already know. There is never anything he wants you to understand with the mind. Either you realize the truth of what he is saying in the moment, or you don't. It doesn't matter either way. Leonard stresses the importance of being present, above and beyond any understanding which will take you into the mind. In order to awaken, the present moment must become your number one priority, above all else, in life.

Leonard's teaching in a nutshell is about coming out of the mind by bringing yourself present with something which is already present (anything you can see, feel, hear, taste, touch or smell), many times each day; Becoming aware of all the ways that the ego pulls you out of presence, until it can't trick you anymore; Allowing up repressed emotions and pain from the past, for healing, completion and release. Once you become fundamentally grounded in the present moment in this way and arise in mastery of your own mind/ego, you will be able to relax deeper and deeper into the present moment, until you realize that where we are is actually "Heaven on Earth."

Leonard is a mystic. At times he speaks from the very heart of the mystery about the nature of existence and the profound significance of our journey upon this planet.

Here is the opening page from "Journey into NOW."
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

I want to begin by saying that I know who you are. You are an eternal being. You are love, acceptance and compassion. You are strength, clarity and truth. At the deepest level, you are pure consciousness, beyond form and content. You are powerful beyond imagining. You are an instrument of God's will upon the earth. You are a champion of God and your ultimate destiny is to awaken into Oneness. You are the champion of your own soul. It is through your awakening in this lifetime that your soul will be restored to its immortality. You are the redeemer of Oneness and the revealer of Heaven on Earth. You are Buddha, revealing the pure mind of God. You are Christ, revealing the pure heart of God. And you are Lao Tzu, revealing the way of God in the world. You are awakened man. You are awakened woman.

You are eternal but you are on a journey through time. Your journey has taken you from Oneness into duality. It has taken you into a world of illusion and separation. It has taken you from the present moment into the past and future. It has taken you from truth into a world of idea, concept, opinion and belief.

The journey is purposeful, but for the most part, we have lost our way. We have forgotten who we are. We are now functioning egos in our own private and separate worlds. We have strayed too far from the truth and we are following in the footsteps of the prodigal son.

Because of our technological advances, we have become too destructive to continue living unconsciously upon this earth.It is time to awaken, but before we can awaken, we must recognize how and where we are lost. - Leonard Jacobson
Here are the contents of the book.
Introduction
A call to awaken
A two-step dance of awakening
The second step
The nature of the mind
The ego
Feelings
The soul's journey
The soul's lessons
God and the eternal dimension
Living in the world of time
Death as a part of life
Awakenings (Leonard's awakening experiences)
Let me know what you think of the book.
Evan

TolleFan

Journey

Post by TolleFan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:54 pm

EvB - I have just started reading it and I am enjoying it. I'll keep you up to date as far as any thoughts I have about the book.

The similarities to Eckhart are quickly apparent, but it always helps to get another slant on these issues, and this book provides that.

EvB

Re: Journey

Post by EvB » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:36 am

TolleFan wrote:EvB - I have just started reading it and I am enjoying it. I'll keep you up to date as far as any thoughts I have about the book.

The similarities to Eckhart are quickly apparent, but it always helps to get another slant on these issues, and this book provides that.

I'm glad you are enjoying it.

:D
Evan

Here is the introduction and an excerpt for anyone else who might be interested... (plus a link to a related video at the end).

Introduction:

The fact that you are reading this book means that you are ready to be liberated from the limited world of the mind into the infinite and unlimited world of Now.

This book is a comprehensive guide to your awakening, and when you do awaken, you will discover a world more sacred and beautiful than anything you could have imagined.

In this book, I share with you how to still your mind in the simplest way, and how to become fully present and awake in the truth of life. I show you how to arise in mastery of the mind and ego, so that you can remain fundamentally present in your day-to-day living.

Presence enhances every aspect of your life, including your relationships. It is immensely worthwhile.

As an essential part of my guidance into the present moment, I speak of past lives and the soul’s journey. I speak of God and the eternal dimension of life. I speak of the need for healing, forgiveness, and repentance. I speak about the right expression of emotions. I speak at length about the ego and how to free ourselves from its tyranny. I even speak about death.

But let me assure you that everything I speak of is directed towards only one end. How do we free ourselves from the past and awaken fully into the present moment? How do we awaken out of illusion into the truth of life? How can we be restored to Oneness and yet still live our lives effectively within the world of time?

I urge you to approach each page of this book in innocence.

I have not written this book for your mind or ego. It is written for that dimension of you that is already awake, has always
been awake, and will always be awake. I am addressing the dimension of you that is eternal.

Each page reveals a part of the mystery. It is like a road map home. I suggest that you read it carefully in its entirety and then, from time to time, randomly open it. You will find hidden keys to awakening on every page.

This book has the power to liberate the sleeping giant within. If you truly embrace what is written here, you will awaken.

The Dilemma Of Human Existence:

Most humans are living in a state of unconsciousness. Even though our eyes are open and we appear to be awake as we walk and talk and live our lives, in truth we are not awake.

We are lost in the mind, which is a world of the remembered past and the imagined future. It is a world of thought, memory, and imagination. It is a world of opinion, idea, concept, and belief. It gives us the sense of a life outside of the present moment. It gives us a sense of ourselves outside of the present moment. And that is the great illusion.

In truth, there is no life outside the present moment. In truth, you do not and cannot exist outside of the present moment. The world of the human thinking mind is an illusory world and yet almost everyone believes that it is real. It is as if we have fallen asleep and the life we are living is a kind of dream, from which we must awaken.

To awaken spiritually or to become enlightened is to awaken out of the past and future world of the mind into the truth and reality of the present moment.

It is not until you awaken and become fully present that you will realize that you have not been present. It is not until you awaken that you will realize that you have been asleep, dreaming that you are awake. to be enlightened is to awaken out of the dream. It is a profound and dramatic shift in consciousness- Leonard Jacobson
Video:At Home in the World of Now

dubhasa

Post by dubhasa » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:01 pm

EvB,
I appreciate your introduction to Leonard Jacobson. I had never heard of him before. I listened to audio clips and they so much resonate with me. Both ET and Leonard are trying to do the same thing...wake us up.

Again EvB, I truely thank you.

EvB

Post by EvB » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:34 am

You're welcome, Dubhasa.

Here is another short, but important passage from "Journey into NOW."
A BIRD'S EYE VIEW OF THE MIND

Awakening into the present moment gives you a perspective that was not available to you before. It gives you a bird's eye view of yourself. It enables you to become watchful for yourself at the level of mind ego.

Until you awaken to a higher level of consciousness, there is no way to be watchful. Until you awaken, all self knowledge is the ego trying to understand itself. There is no perspective that transcends the ego. It will not lead to liberation.

-Leonard Jacobson
Last edited by EvB on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TolleFan

EvB

Post by TolleFan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:36 pm

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, but I have been reading the book faithfully (that's always a good sign, haha).

I am loving this book, and would second your recommendation of it. Some of it is certainly a restatement of things I have read in Tolle's books. but he certainly goes off into a different direction with it.

The chapters on the emotional issues that keep us from being present are riveting stuff.

The stuff about past lives is very interesting to me as well. As Jacobsen suggests, I tried to neither believe nor disbelieve in the topic in general, but the possibility of past lives affecting our soul's quest in this life is quite fascinating.

I have approximately 1/3 of the book left, thanks again for the heads up on this book.

eseward

Post by eseward » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:30 am

Beautiful quote, EvB. Thanks.

EvB

Post by EvB » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:58 am

You're welcome, eseward. Glad you are enjoying, TolleFan. Here are a few good passages about feelings...
Part 6
Feelings

We think to escape our feelings
If you want to stop thinking
and return to Presence,
then feel your feelings.

FEEL YOUR FEELINGS

It is very important to feel your feelings. Feelings bring a quality of richness and vitality to our lives. They carry a life force within them and give us a dynamic sense of being alive.

However, there are some fundamental principles that must be understood if you are to be in right relationship with your feelings.

Feelings arise in the moment. They relate to whatever is happening now. They flow through you. Once the moment has passed, then the feelings will vanish. They do not linger. They are not meant to linger.

If you are on a roller coaster ride at an amusement park, the excitement that you feel as you descend is immediate. It belongs to that moment alone. The feeling of joy that arises as you behold the beauty of the sun setting over the ocean belongs to that moment alone. The feeling of love that fills your heart, as you gaze into the eyes of your beloved, belongs to that moment alone. The feeling of triumph as you direct a perfect shot past your opponent in a game of tennis, belongs to that moment alone.

Feelings do not belong in the world of time. It is important not to take them there. If you become attached to positive feelings like joy or happiness, and you hold onto them, you interrupt their flow through you. These feelings accumulate within you as memories, and as a result, you gradually become absorbed into the world of the mind. It is the same if you reject or repress so-called negative feelings like sadness, hurt, or anger as they arise within you.

Feelings arising in the moment do not belong to you. They belong to God and the present moment. They are simply flowing through you. Let them flow freely. Express them responsibly. You will be richly rewarded if you do so.

PROJECTION

When we repress negative feelings, there is every chance that we will unconsciously project those feelings onto others. For example, suppose that you are judgmental, but you do not own or acknowledge the judgmental feelings as they arise within you. You do not want to think of yourself as judgmental and so you are in denial.

That energy of judgment is then projected onto others and you live your life convinced that others are judging you. As a result you feel hurt or angry and you have no idea that the pain you are experiencing is created by your own projections.

WHAT WE REALLY WANT

All we really want is for others to be present with us. We pursue love, acceptance, and approval as a substitute for Presence. This pursuit began in childhood when we realized that no one was truly present. Accept no substitutes. Just ask others to be present with you.

SHARE THE JOY

There is also a full spectrum of positive feelings. Silence, peace, love, joy! Be generous in the sharing of these feelings and everyone will be uplifted by your Presence.

-Leonard Jacobson, "Journey into NOW"

eseward

Post by eseward » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Excellent. :)

TolleFan

Lenny

Post by TolleFan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:37 pm

Jacobsen does a great job of delving into the blocks to being present. That's probably what stands out most to me in this book.

But what really blows me away is when he states that "all God has to offer is the present moment." The ego can lure us with promises, temptations.

That graphically shows me why so many more people live in the world of ego. How many of us would choose the present moment over the lure of the ego? As Jacobsen states, the answer is "a blessed few."

Riveting stuff.

EvB

Post by EvB » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:15 am

Fantastic! That is the key point of the whole teaching, "Be present for no other reason than the present moment is the truth of life." There is nothing in it for you. Enlightenment is not even for you. It is for God; which is ironic, because it is the ego's quest for enlightenment which set you off on the spiritual journey in the first place.

Some passages from Part 9, "God and the eternal dimension..."
A PERFECT WORLD

There is a world that exists within the world we know. It has existed in its perfect state from the very beginning of time. It is an invisible world waiting eternally to be discovered.

It is a world of extraordinary beauty. It is a world of wonder and amazement. It is a magical world. Timeless, eternal, and perfect!

It is a living world that reaches out and relates to you every moment. The trees, the flowers, the birds, the animals, and even the insects are experienced as loving friends, sharing this perfect world with you.

It is a hidden world. It is hidden within the world you live in. It is God's world. It is here now. It is Heaven on Earth.

HEAVEN REVEALED ON EARTH

At the deeper levels of Presence, you will encounter the living Presence of God in all things present. At the deeper levels of Presence, Heaven on Earth is revealed.

GOD IS WITHIN

God exists at the very heart of silence within you. When you awaken to God within you, you will discover God in everything outside of you. Even the distinction between what is within you and outside of you will dissolve as you enter into Oneness with God.

GOD'S TEST

If you choose to be present, then gradually the hidden treasures will be revealed. At first it will not seem like much. It will appear to be ordinary. There will be nothing in it for you. You cannot make use of it in any way. But that is God's test.

Will you be present even though there is nothing in it for you? Will you be present for God's sake and not your sake? Will you be present for no other reason than it is the truth of life? Will you honor God and God's world with your Presence? Will you be here for God?

Leonard Jacobson- "Journey Into NOW"