Leonard Jacobson - A Personal Recommendation

cuno

Re: Leonard Jacobson - A Personal Recommendation

Post by cuno » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:39 pm

heidi wrote:
What can I do rather than being present to arise in mastery of my mind ?
I think he's talking about being conscious - being the witness to the thinking.
Hi heidi ,can you please elaborate what you have written?Does it mean being witnessing our ego and mind?not analyzing them?

love

EvB

Post by EvB » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:41 pm

cuno wrote:I tought that It is enough to be present to resolve my issues but leonard Jacobson on the cover of his website says;

"It is not enough to be present. You must also arise in mastery of your mind and ego. Only then will you become established in Presence. Only then will you be eternally free." - Leonard Jacobson

Hi Cuno,

Being present is what will ultimately enable you to become a master of your mind and ego, so that you can't be involuntarily pulled out of Presence anymore. Without Presence, mastery is not possible.

The following teaching from Leonard's website lists the obstacles which continuously pull us out of the present moment, that we must attend to if we want to live a more present life in the world. Followed by that, I've included a small passage from Leonard's book, "Journey Into Now," where he briefly summarizes mastery of the mind and ego. There are other teachings on Leonard's website, where he talks about other necessary aspects of awakening which lead to mastery and living life grounded in the present moment. If it resonates with you, I recommend reading "Journey into Now," which maps out the entire awakening process.

http://leonardjacobson.com/teachings_writing5.php
Overcoming The Obstacles To Awakening

In the last teaching, I spoke about how to liberate yourself from the world of the thinking mind into the world of NOW. I shared the key to becoming present, which is remarkably simple. However remaining present is not so simple. Even if we are present for a short time, most of us are quickly pulled back into the past and future world of the mind.

There are a number of obstacles which we must become aware of if we are to awaken fully into Presence and remain fundamentally present in our daily living and in our relationships.

The first obstacle is the ego itself. The ego wants to become more spiritual. It wants to acquire spiritual knowledge. It would love to become enlightened. It will have you visiting many spiritual teachers and reading many spiritual books. But it will back off very quickly if you find your way into the truth of life through the doorway of the present moment. This is because the ego needs to be in control of your life. It is addicted to its position of power and control. But it can only be in control of what it knows and it only knows the past, which it remembers, or the future, which it imagines. It does not know the present moment, and so it will desperately resist your entering into and remaining in the present moment. In fact, as you begin to awaken into the present moment, it has a bag of tricks to seduce you or tempt you back into the world of the mind.

The second reason that it is difficult to remain present, is that most of us have a lot of emotions repressed within us from the past, particularly from our childhood relationship with our parents. These emotions are continually being activated or triggered, which brings the past flooding in, making it impossible for us to remain in the truth and reality of the present moment. To the extent that you are caught in the emotional pain and traumas of the past, you cannot be present.

The third reason that it difficult to remain present is that there are a number of very powerful hooks that pull us out of the present moment into the world of the mind. Looking to others for acknowledgement, approval or acceptance is an example of such a hook. Fearing rejection or judgment from others is another hook. Anything that entangles you in the mind of another is a hook that pulls you out of Presence.

To awaken fully into the present moment involves disentangling yourself from others so that you are fully with yourself.

To free yourself from the above obstacles and hooks, there are a number of steps you must follow.

The first is that you must awaken to the dimension of Presence within you. It opens up the possibility of true healing.

Then you must come into right relationship with the ego, so that eventually it surrenders its need to be in control of your life.

From a state of Presence, you bring the ego and all its so called negative aspects into the light of consciousness, in a way that is acknowledging, loving and accepting. All judgment of the ego and all attempts to annihilate the ego must cease. As long as you judge or reject any aspect of yourself, the ego will prevail as the dominant inner force, simply because the ego thrives on judgment, condemnation and rejection.

The only thing that will bring the ego to a place of surrender is the energy of love and acceptance. If you love and accept every aspect of yourself at the level of mind/ego, particularly those aspects of yourself that you have been hiding, judging or trying to change, the ego will eventually surrender.

The next step is to allow into conscious expression, all those emotions repressed within you. In my private sessions, workshops and retreats, I offer very clear guidance and support in accomplishing this. It does not mean that you are identified with the feelings. You are simply allowing them to surface into conscious expression. The fact that the emotion is arising is of this moment and so you must be present with it as it arises and expresses through you. But the story associated with the emotion is not of the present moment, and so it is important that you do not become identified with the story. You will have to express the story as a part of expressing the emotion, but the story itself is not the truth. It is of the past or future. It has nothing to do with this moment. Do not believe in it and do not act upon it as if it is true.

The third step is to clearly identify the hooks that pull you out of Presence. These hooks only have power over you to the extent that they are allowed to function unconsciously. If you bring these hooks to conscious awareness, then they have no power over you. You can gently disengage from them as they are activated.

These steps will liberate you from the world of the thinking mind into the world of NOW. I do not mean to imply that you will always be present. But the present moment will become the very foundation of your life. You will come to know yourself as the one who exists in the moment of NOW, and only in the moment of now. This is the truth of who you are. And your life will be transformed. God and Heaven on Earth will be revealed.

-Leonard Jacobson

THE SECOND STEP ~ MASTERY - From "Journey into Now"

The first step leads to Presence. The second step leads to mastery.

If you are constantly and involuntarily pulled back into the mind’s world of the past or future, then you are not free. You are not awake. In order to awaken fully, you will have to arise in mastery. You will have to become a master of your own mind and ego.

The second step involves bringing consciousness to all the ways that you are pulled out of Presence.

What are the hooks that pull you back into the world of the mind? What is preventing you from becoming permanently and fundamentally established in Presence? Until these questions are answered, how can you awaken other than for a few short moments every now and then?

For the sake of clarity, the second step is divided into four sections, for there are four significant reasons why you are constantly pulled out of Presence, back into the world of the mind. The first is the resistance of the ego. The second is denial of who you have become. The third is the repression of emotions from the past. The fourth is entanglement in others.

-Leonard Jacobson

EvB

New Leonard Jacobson video - Deepening into Presence

Post by EvB » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:47 am

New video from Leonard Jacobson:

Deepening into Presence
http://www.leonardjacobson.com/blog/383 ... -presence/

In this video, Leonard Jacobson offers guidance on how we can deepen into Presence and make the present moment the foundation of our lives. He identifies the story that the majority of humanity is lost in and explains how we can free ourselves from this world of illusion and truly be here. Finally, Leonard reveals who we are when we relax out of the mind and settle into Presence, where life becomes simple, uncomplicated, and fulfilling.

EvB

Leonard's latest book: In Search of the Light

Post by EvB » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Leonard has just released a children's book called, "In Search of the Light, which I'm sure you'll enjoy...

Book Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YSpVE8TFC4
Book Website
http://www.insearchofthelight.com

About the book:
IN SEARCH OF THE LIGHT is a 32 page children's picture book for ages 3-93. It is Leonard's first children's book and is beautifully illustrated by Fiammetta Dogi, who lives in Florence, Italy.

The rhyming dialogue tells an enchanting story of animals in the meadow who experience a sudden eclipse of the sun. Not knowing what had happened, they believe that somehow the sun has lost its way, and they are concerned that it could mean the end of light. Considering the situation to be most urgent, they form an expedition of four who journey to unknown places in search of the source of the light.

The first of three chapters introduces the four who journey in search of the light. Ned, the horse is the leader. Peter, the rabbit is his reluctant and somewhat fearful companion. They are joined by Bert, the brave little bumblebee and timid but very sweet Molly mouse.

Chapter Two takes them into a forest of darkness, where they encounter all sorts of frightening things, including witches and ghosts hiding in shadows. Just when things seem hopeless, the wind speaks to them offering advice to seek a guide who has his own inner light. Shortly afterwards, they encounter Frederick Firefly, who guides them to a land where nothing seems right.

Finally, in Chapter Three they walk down the "path of the opposites" and a bird with a very large beak offers them guidance. They discover that when they are beyond all judgment, desire and fear, they discover that the source of the light is within each one of them, and that it always has been.

The story opens children and adults to a magical and childlike world of innocence, where a beautiful and simple message of truth is revealed.

EvB

Post by EvB » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Watch a video of an interview with Leonard on abc's Sacramento & Co from Friday, April 8th, 2011. Leonard talks about his new children's book, "In Search of the Light." http://www.sacandco.net/story.aspx?storyid=132659

Leonard Jacobson is author of the new children's picture book called "In Search of the Light" which teaches young readers and their parents that the source of light, love and strength is within themselves.

Listen to Leonard narrate a video of the first chapter of "In Search of the Light."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfIQeEQRpME

heidi

Post by heidi » Wed May 04, 2011 8:02 pm

cuno:
heidi wrote:

I think he's talking about being conscious - being the witness to the thinking.

Hi heidi ,can you please elaborate what you have written?Does it mean being witnessing our ego and mind?not analyzing them?
Just in the few months since writing that, the clarity has become all the clearer, ha ha. So I guess the way to explain is, that we are not the thoughts, we are the vast and infitite space in which they occur, and when we truly see this about everything - we are witnessing and participating in the stream of the entire data of the universe pouring in via all of our senses and even our imagination and dreams, and when we see it that way we tend to allow it to be as it is and let it flow, (and that "all is one" concept creates its own meaning) and not cling to sticky things such as ego disturbance but to see the power in all of it as the power of the entire data and energy of the universe. Sure we act and do, but we act not as reaction but as an integral part of the flowing. Phew - how was that?

And this one could go in the Candace O'Denver topic as well.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

EvB

Free, live video webcasts with Leonard Jacobson

Post by EvB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Visit the following link to view free, live video webcasts with Leonard Jacobson on Tuesdays at 7PM US Pacific Time. You can submit a question for Leonard to answer during the talk now or anytime up until an hour before each event begins. If you can't watch at this time, a replay will be available 2 hrs after the talk ends and will remain available for 48 hrs.

http://leonardjacobson.com/events_attend.php

EvB

Post by EvB » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Beyond the story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOZE_fdato

In this video, Leonard describes how we are imprisoned within our story. He explains the awakening process and how we can free ourselves from the pain and limitations of the past.

EvB

Post by EvB » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:24 am

Leonard has uploaded a complete , 75 minute video webcast from September 13, 2011 to his youtube channel for all to enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA8KlsT3J60

Leonard Jacobson begins this talk by speaking about the truth, which becomes available to us as we settle fully into the present moment. He explains the fundamental choice we must make in order to live a truly awakened life. Other topics include: Being present with physical sensations, Coming into the one world, Presence & meditation, The true message of Jesus, The path of suffering vs. the path of intelligence, Attunement to Presence, Coming to your senses, The gift of Presence, Doing God's work, Christ consciousness and God consciousness, The human condition, and Liberation from the story.

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:51 am

Nice to have a different take on the same topic. I am listening to bits of it, and it is worth listening to. Thank you.
On a less positive note, the deep peace, intense presence, and 'sacredness' that ET projects is lacking.

Elle

Post by Elle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:58 am

EvB wrote:Beyond the story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOZE_fdato

In this video, Leonard describes how we are imprisoned within our story. He explains the awakening process and how we can free ourselves from the pain and limitations of the past.
WOW is all I can say with words. I only made it 2 minutes and 8 seconds into the clip and I had to pause it when he mentions the limited beliefs that form as a child especially the "it's not ok to be all that I am belief" THIS WAS MY STORY!!!!!! Even when I was able to drop it all and be in the present a thought would lurk up that this is not ok and that feeling the peace and freedom I was experiencing was some how wrong, that unless I was suffering then it wasn't right...

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:01 pm

EvB,

I would like to know more about his suggestions for dealing with repressed emotions. I like the fact that he addresses this issue in more detail and depth than Eckhart Tolle, and what he says seems to have the ring of truth. But reading what he suggested (quote in your very first post), it was not clear to me - perhaps, I will reread later as I am about to fall asleep.

EvB

Post by EvB » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:22 am

unbornawakened wrote:EvB,

I would like to know more about his suggestions for dealing with repressed emotions. I like the fact that he addresses this issue in more detail and depth than Eckhart Tolle, and what he says seems to have the ring of truth. But reading what he suggested (quote in your very first post), it was not clear to me - perhaps, I will reread later as I am about to fall asleep.
That is a good observation. Leonard talks about "emptying out reservoirs of repressed emotions from childhood" as a key part of the awakening process. Eckhart refers to this process as "dissolving the pain body." Leonard does take a more active approach to dissolving the pain body, as repressed emotions and wounds from childhood are often too powerful and alive within us at an unconscious level to simply witness them when we they are triggered. We can't remain present with them when our past comes flooding in and projects itself onto the present moment, so we need a way to express these repressed feelings, which is all they ever wanted to do in the first place.

As we empty out these reservoirs of repressed emotions, we no longer project anger from our past onto present moment situations. Then, when anger arises we can respond appropriately to the situation without overreacting or repressing the feelings, so that these energies can be given their full right of passage and flow right through us, the way they are meant to.

Here is an article written by Leonard which explains the process of emptying out reservoirs of repressed emotions...

http://leonardjacobson.com/question35.php
Question 35

How do we deal with difficult emotions like sadness, hurt and anger, and how do these repressed emotions affect our capacity to be present?
Answer

To the extent that you have past emotions repressed within you, you cannot become permanently established in Presence. You can be present for short periods of time, but soon, those repressed emotions will be triggered, and you will be pulled back into the past and future world of the mind. The past will come flooding in to distort the truth and reality of the present moment. If you are to awaken and become permanently established in Presence, you will have to go through a process of allowing these repressed emotions into conscious and responsible expression. It is not difficult and it should not take very long, once you learn the art of being fully present, and once you come into right relationship with your feelings.

When you came into this world, you were a very present little Being. But you came into a world where no one was really present. To varying degrees, your mother and father were unconscious, wounded, and lost in the world of the mind. Very simply, they were unable to be present with you to the extent that you needed them to be in order for you to feel safe in such a new and strange environment. And so, during those early formative years, your needs were not being met. You felt hurt over and over again. And in response to feeling hurt, you became angry. But you soon discovered that these feelings of need, hurt and anger were either too much to bear or were simply not allowed, and so you began the process of repressing them within you. They gradually accumulated into reservoirs of repressed feelings held within the body and now they are constantly being triggered in reaction to events in your day to day living and in your relationship with others. These repressed feelings project onto the present moment and distort your sense of what is really happening. To the extent that you believe in the story behind the emotions, you are caught in your own past, and lost in a world of illusion. You are not in the truth of life. Your experience of life is delusional. If you are to liberate yourself from these projections from the past, you will have to go through a process of allowing these repressed emotions to surface into the light of consciousness.

When emotions arise, do not have the sense that you are trying to get rid of these feelings. You are simply inviting everything that is repressed within you to arise. The feelings will surface with a story from the past. It is important that you do not believe in the story, and yet you must allow the story to emerge. It is as though you are playing two parts. On the one hand, you are needy, sad, hurt, or angry and you express it fully and authentically. On the other hand, you are fully present as the feelings arise. You are witnessing the whole event as it emerges from within you, and you know that it does not have anything to do with the present moment. You know that it is simply the past emerging for completion. If anything, you are mildly amused by the whole experience. This is not therapy. You are not trying to fix anything or get rid of anything. You are simply correcting the earlier decision that you made as a child to repress difficult feelings. You denied those feelings the right to exist. And now you are restoring to those feelings their right to exist and express. But as an awakening adult, you do so responsibly. Do not dump the feelings on anyone. These feelings need you to be present with them as they surface and express, and they need to arise and express within an environment of love and acceptance. They need to be allowed to be themselves as they express. Anger needs to be allowed to blame and cuss and kill in response to feeling hurt. Allow it full expression. But do not identify with it. Do not believe in the story. Exaggerate it until you begin laughing. Anger repressed leads to violence and abuse of others. Anger expressed responsibly leads to laughter, forgiveness and compassion. If sadness arises, then cry. It will soon pass and be replaced by joy. Do not be afraid of your feelings. They cannot hurt you, and if you accept full responsibility for your feelings, they will never lead you to hurt or abuse others. And your body will be extremely grateful to you for relieving it of the burden of having to store these repressed and painful emotions for you.

Q: It seems to be easier to be present when I am in a beautiful place, a quiet place. Would you say something about moving through daily life, and bringing the quality of Oneness and Presence into everyday life?

L: It is like we live in two different dimensions. There is the dimension of awakened presence which is essentially eternal. At the deepest level, it is beyond time. It is impersonal. There is no world outside of the moment. At this level, your question is irrelevant, because there is no time. There is only now. You need at least three caretakers if you happen to awaken to this deep level of eternal Presence. It is an exalted state. It is total immersion in the moment of now. But you cannot function in the If any of us have 5 minutes, or one minute, in this eternal dimension, our lives are never going to be the same again. Everything is transformed, almost instantly in that opening into the eternal. That can occur right now in this moment. The eternal simply means I am in a dimension beyond time. I am so utterly of this moment that time, the past and future are not here. And of course at that level there is no thought, just silence. All thought takes you into the world of the mind which is the world of time.

We live in two dimensions so that you cannot function in the world of time at this very deep level. I suggest we open into this eternal dimension, the impersonal, the I am, the pure consciousness and we allow that to become fuller and fuller within us, we relax more into this so it becomes the very foundation of who I am. I know this dimension of me is the truth. This is the truth of me and life in this moment is the truth of life. There really is no deviation from that. I am that. When I do move into the world of experience, mind, time, the ego gradually gently comes to a place of surrender. It relaxes. As you deepen into presence and as you bring to it unconditional love, acceptance and allowing, the ego starts to relax. Then more and more you are able to express in the world, driving a car, making love, going shopping, you are fundamentally present. There is not much thought happening unless thought is appropriate. When it is no longer appropriate it stops and you are present again. Now what you are is a personal expression of that impersonal dimension of you at the very deepest level of your existence. Another way of putting it is now you are an individual expression of God, or oneness. No longer functioning at the level of mind/ego, you are a personal expression of impersonal. That means that in your expression of the impersonal you are expressing all those qualities of the impersonal. All those qualities of God, love, presence, silence, power, truth, compassion. These are all the qualities that begin to express through you as you become a personal expression of the impersonal, rather than an expression of the ego at the level of mind. It is not just about awakening into presence. You better hurry up and get enlightened because that is the easy part. It has taken us about 78 lifetimes or more, maybe 780 lifetimes, it is still the easy part, because once you have awakened and you know the truth of life now, you know yourself in this moment, the question is now that I am awake how do I live in this world?

-Leonard Jacobson

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:14 am

Thank you EvB for attempting to reply.

Jacobson struck a chord with me because I have been suspecting for at least a year or two that what is holding me back is something related to emotional hurts. I can be present, sometimes for a week or two (rarely, but increasingly so), and bask in that blilssful state. Yet it never lasts long, and often it fluctuates wildly from day to day. It has also a lot to do with my own determination - if I am determined on a given day, to give it a good start (with meditation, presence) everything flows smoothly. On other days, it seems that I simply prefer to be unhappy and feel that - I know the remedy, but I prefer to be ill. Jacobson saying that emotional release is the key to achieving a more stable presence suddenly made me think ... i had thought so too, that there is an emotional block that needs to be removed before I can make more progress, and simply relying on self-discpline, meditation, etc, is not enough. Something else is getting in the way. I shared this thought with a close friend (who is a devotee of Krishnamurti) about a year ago, and whom I respect very much, but he did not seem to agree.

Reading your post, it is still not clear what needs to be done. The expression of negative emotions (or even positive ones, really !) with other people, seems to create conditions for more emotional hurt. So what is the mechanism for dissipating these emotions safely ? Hitting a boxing sack ? Shooting darts at a picture of your boss ? Breaking bottles or breaking your furniture at home ? This is the part missing from Jacobson. The theory sounds right, but there seems to be no follow up to the theory. Or perhaps I am missing it.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:52 pm

it seems that I simply prefer to be unhappy and feel that - I know the remedy, but I prefer to be ill.
I know you are well-read and a deep thinker about this stuff, so I ask you to please not respond with a visceral defense to my next comment:

Often egos protect themselves with a kind of final defense...it goes like this. "I'm under heavy attack from Presence, from some damned Force, a denying encompassing relentless Power, so OK, I'm going to say "the hell with you, I'm just going to be "Sick Guy." And that's the way it is. Me, sick guy. Sick, miserable suffering guy. I like pain. I love pain and anger and lashing angry opposition. And I'm a tough ass there. Nobody, no simpering funny-nose German, no diaper-wearing old dead Indian, nobody can take me from my lovely misery. Least of all some half-awake Australian ex-lawyer."

But, unbornawakened....it's all ego, just wearing a final mask, lashing out with sound and fury, defending the final rampart.

Who witnesses this, though? Who can comment as you do so honestly about what you see and observe?

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce