Ken Wilber

Linda

Ken Wilber

Post by Linda » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:51 pm

Does anyone know anything about a Ken Wilber--the "Einstein of Consciousness"? I've been looking for a group of "Tolle" people in my community to meet with, and there is a group in Ann Arbor, MI that discusses Tolle but they are centered around this Wilber guy. I've looked at his website and his basic message seems consistant with Tolle but it also seems pretty complex. Any insights?
Thanks, Linda
Short dips; many times...

MatthewCromer

Post by MatthewCromer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:11 pm

Tolle is a teacher of Awareness.

Wilber is a philosopher / describer / scientist studying Awareness through all the grades of Be-ing.
mc

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:56 am

The fewer words the better - Wilbur is great on his use of language, but it can be a distraction from the realization that you are awareness itself. I'd rather realize this than wade through a lot of words describing and analyzing it.

k

Egoicmidget

Post by Egoicmidget » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:38 pm

I just found Ken Wilbers work and he is considered by many to be the word on "consciouness" I have his intergal operating system and find him to be very masterful enlightened in an intellectual way and very present and aware.
He uses many more words then Tolle but his books I've read so far share so much of what Tolle says only with the handicap of using huge quanitys
of verbage to do so.
Ken breaks things down into psychology/philosophy which I really enjoy and so I tend to read him quite a bit.
I am amazed at how he explains the witness in elaborate detail while the master Tolle uses so few words. Yet Tolle evokes such power with his brevity.
Sort of different teachers on slightly different wavelengths, neither right or wrong simply operationally different in there approach to consciouness.
I find Wilber does tend to excite the mind but in ways that I find useful.
His work on the "shadow" and projection is profound but that's in the realm of human behavior, but gains made in the inner world of the psyche translate very well and being hobbled by pain and unresloved issues can inhibit the growth that Tolle is all about.
Ken Wilber also points out that his system of intergral perception is a map to the prison cell of the mind and relates that escaping the mind is easier with a detailed map.
I think reading his work is helpful.

Anois

Post by Anois » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:38 pm

Is there not conflict here between two authorities on consciousness ?

Ramana Maharshi would have best best conveyed his teachings through silence while Ken Wilbur finds it necessary to speak a lot.

Egoicmidget

Post by Egoicmidget » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:35 pm

Ken Wilber knew Ramana Maharshi and quotes him in his books often and has praised and openly admits to learning from the great master.

I see two sides of the same coin which is non-duality.
Tolle enlightened uses few words and Wilber is the same only he uses many words.
They drink from the same stream.

Ken Wilber is intellectual, but because that is so doesn't suggest to me anyway, that he isn't on target about awareness, stillness and non-duality.
I don't feel uncomfortable by knowledge and learning as part of life and I remain devoted to the present moment. I don't think Tolle is suggesting we sit and do nothing or not learn new things.
Wilber covers conciousness and explains in much detail the essence of what Tolle speaks about including the witnessing presence.
He discusses in great detail things that many might find useful, such as the component within the personality called the "shadow"as I mentioned above.

I continue to read both Tolle and Wilber.
Wilber is my teacher of psychology, and Tolle is the guide for spirituality.

Carl Jung, Fritz Perls are respected aspects of his body of works, about 20 books. I have only read 2 so far but I own 2 others, I find his work interesting and informative.
Tolle is the master of using language in very concise and simple ways that point to enlightenment. They are both part of one field the same field we're all in.

PM

Post by PM » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:35 pm

thank you 'egoic midget' for your wonderful words on ken wilber and eckhart tolle, their similarities (Similarity) and different approaches. i experience it the same way, both help me to be present and understand.

Ives

Post by Ives » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:44 pm

I would heartily recommend two Ken Wilber books:

- A Brief History of Everything

- The Marriage of Sense and Soul

For those who enjoy an intellectual, all-embracing vision of Life, they are brilliant.

Wilber does not claim to be enlightened or a spiritual master; he lives quite a reclusive life.

Although his writing is intellectual, it is always clear and sometimes soars clean out of sight.

Atash

Post by Atash » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:17 am

Hello.

I do not endorse the company he keeps or his political leanings.

However, I am a big fan of him and his writing. My only complaint is that it often takes me multiple readings to understand half of it, especially when he assumes that the rest of share his contextual background, which at least I don't.

It also took me a while to get used to his occasional dropping of Sanskrit terms before I knew what they meant.

Sometimes he feels the need to "integrate" authors who are not a good match for his philosophy. I believe this has more to do with ingratiating himself on the academic community that he feels comfortable in, than with the subject matter at hand. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading "where does Idi Amin fit into the 4 quadrants?" I'm sure he does somewhere, I just think maybe there are better choices for discussion.

In answer to your question, if you have difficulty with Wilber, that's not surprising. Just keep reading Tolle if you find it more accessible. Wilber is esoteric and writes in a fairly elliptical fashion--vast numbers of references to other books and authors you are unlikely to have read yourself.

I can't think of a single Wilber book that is really easy to understand. "A brief history of everything" might be one of the more approachable ones but even that took me several readings to really "get" it. I find with Wilber it is good to go back maybe once a year or so.
The bird flies out of its shell, which is the world. The bird flies up to God. The name of that God is ABRAXIS.

AnEternalNow

Post by AnEternalNow » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:32 am

"A simple feeling of being" by Ken Wilber, which is a collection of the mystical writings from his other books, is a good read.

More about our ever present awareness and pointing out instructions to 'access' it.

Vpopov81

Post by Vpopov81 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:30 am

I was watching Integral operating system 1.0 and Ken Wilbers teaching seems incedibly mind based. Its like the minds attempt to disect consciousness. I feel the same way about Andrew Cohen the founder of "What is Enlightenment" magazine. I think once you really know what Eckhart is trying to say you really don't need to know anything else. The true teaching is indeed silence but that cant be sold and no one would be interested in it.

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:05 am

The true teaching is indeed silence
Yes.
but that cant be sold and no one would be interested in it.
No, it can't be sold. Most are interested in the ever changing world of forms, and silence has no form - what is there to sell? But there sure can be a lot of words spoken and written about it and lots of people are even willing to pay money for those words. And there is no shortage of people who put themselves in positions where they can take advantage of those who thirst to hear them. But remember, it's all the play of consciousness - no one is doing anything at all.

Egoicmidget

Post by Egoicmidget » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:41 pm

Silence cannot be sold but all Masters and teachers who earn money from there teachigs are still spending the money on something.
Some objects or forms that exists beyond just sitting in stillness and being.

I love Tolle's work and Ken Wilbers also I spent a little more on Tolle's New Earth but that even misses the point which is there is nothing for the mind to know.

I've helped support both and I'm OK with that, but the books as all things are objects only point and suggest what the mind can never know.
Dropping the trying to get what can never be understood involves allowing conciousness to emerge on its own terms.

Adyashanti is also a wonderful non teacher and helps with dropping what gets in the way by using the pointer of Stillness being the fire to throw all wanting into. Without wants including more books as I have discovered sets the table to awareness instead of the sensation of chronically trying to get it.
I have unlearned so much more than I have learned.
Last edited by Egoicmidget on Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:39 am

Egoicmidget wrote:Adyashanti is also a wonderful non teacher and helps with dropping what gets in the way by using the pointer of Stillness being the fire to throw all wanting into. Without wants including more books as I have discovered sets the table to awareness instead of the sensation of chronically trying to get it.
I have unlearned so much more than I have learned.
I realized something similar to this the other day. I had finished reading A New Earth and had an urge to buy another book to read. It dawned on me that all this reading may have been the ego's way of delaying me in practising the power of now. Needless to say, I didn't buy another book, instead I continued with the pracitse of awareness.

Annie

'Strumming the strings.'

Post by Annie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:58 am

I was listening to a Ken Wilber audio called "Strumming the Strings" this week, where he uses the analogy of a guitar something like this (I'm paraphrasing):
He says the actual spiritual practice is like strumming the strings of a guitar. Without that, there is no music. He finds that writing about the spiritual practice is akin to the body of the guitar - the shape and form and material of which give the depth, clarity and resonance of the sound.

Seems relevant to our little online forum, doesn't it?
Best wishes,
Annie.
'There is no greater miracle than being present. Everything begins and never ends from this.'
Robert Burton.