Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
12%
Jed McKenna
9%
A Course in Miracles
8%

Total votes: 99

randomguy

Re: Who is your favorite spiritual teacher?

Post by randomguy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:41 pm

I cast my vote for Adyashanti, but I'm enjoying a 3 pronged teacher approach that includes Tolle in the middle with Katie and Adyashanti at the flanks.

To me no teaching describes better the utter futility of suffering from a mind identified life and the absolute simplicity of accepting the present moment than Tolle's. Every sentence he speaks seems to point to the present while painting a peripheral and often entertaining picture of the consequences of not doing so. What a fantastic teacher.

I am also very grateful for the living examples of forgiving everything, accepting reality, questioning the mind, and living with positive action that Byron Katie demonstrates.

But if I must chose one, it has to by Adyashanti. Adya's guided meditations have assisted in my egoic mind's unraveling like no other instructions. His wording and questions are brilliantly crafted to trigger effective meditation and present awareness. To me he has mastered what the inner body and mind experience through awakening. He tells it like it is and levels with those of us who are willing to listen.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Betty

Post by Betty » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:04 am

Jiddu Krishnamurti. Very basic in the video with children- Google videos: "It doesn't matter if you die for it" - and, in other places, explains the problem with "methods" and explains meditation, both what it is and what it isn't.

Apparently, he understood that he was early - that most of those he spoke to, at the time, weren't going to get it (rather slow and deliberate but he does eventually get to the point) but that there would be many people who would understand, after he was gone - I reckon that would be us, now, during the "big quake".

eagle2phoenix

Post by eagle2phoenix » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Apart from Jesus and Buddha, I vote the late and controversial Osho since ET is not in the list. I have read many of his books and find his discourses very enlightening to read and understand.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:47 pm

I really like Osho a lot, too. People often get distracted by all the stories about what unfolded and then disregard or dismiss his message. That's a shame, really, because he has some of the clearest pointers I've come across.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.

bosbrownie

Post by bosbrownie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:35 pm

I love so many of the non-dual teachers, Gina Lake, though virtually unknown, is my favorite by far. She combines non-duality with a metaphysical perspective that, as far as I can tell, is not available anywhere else. I highly recommend any of her 8 books as well as her powerful individual sessions. I credit the "shift" to the powerful clearing I experienced in my sessions with her a few weeks before. Check out her websitehttp://www.radicalhappiness.com.

Elise

Post by Elise » Wed May 13, 2009 1:07 am

I voted for Gangaji but I also want to vote for Nirmala, Jeff Foster and Scott Kiloby they all feel new & fresh and are very clear teachers.. all from the perspective of Advaita Vedanta / Non Dualism

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:59 pm

Osho at the moment! Thanks kiki.... I had not a clue who Osho was or anything about him, I just read his book and I do agree, he is so clear so precise in what he says, again as shappy said his sense of FREEDOM is ......like an astronaut juddering into space so fast then coming out into such CALM, its so clear what he says, he makes perfect sense for the layman because he can still empathise with the form.

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:48 am

I had never seen this thread before. I enjoyed reading all the posts.
My favorite spiritual teacher is Eckart Tolle; however, the more I watch/listen to Rupert Spira, the more I like him. I find his pointers to be the clearest I have come across so far. The following video is amazing. It's a short interview where he explores the nature of conciousness.

Does anyone else find him above average clear and direct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPRi0ZPXqQ&NR=1

Natalie

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Barry Long is good.

His great contribution to Man and Woman was to clearly articulate the difference between sex and love. He actually got Man to love Woman. His teaching through his knowledge of existence and the invisible reality is comprehensive. His teaching stands out amongst others for his pointer to the God in existence, realisable through the Love between Man and Woman. Man realises that the principle of Woman is Love, God in existence. This combined with realising the God or Truth outside or beyond existence, which he also points to very clearly, is unique among teachings. He stated one realisation inevitably leads to the other.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

braveheart

Post by braveheart » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:57 am

My personal list is:

1- ET
2- Byron Katie
3- Adya
4- Jiddu Krishnamurti
5- Jesus
6- Jill Bolte Taylor
7- Anthony De Mello
8- Bhagavad Gita
9- Buddha
10- Tao Te Ching
11- Einstein
12- Marcus Aurelius Meditations
13- Barry Long
14- Gangaji
15- Osho
16- Deepak Chopra
Last edited by braveheart on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:43 pm

I came across an extract from one of his Osho books on the Internet about the false ego which really resonated with me. I noticed some controversy surrounding his latter life... However, my focus is on the message not the individual. I bought one of his books just yesterday called "Destiny, Freedom and the Soul".

Mtn Wanderer

Post by Mtn Wanderer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Anthony DeMello got me rolling on simple awareness. And has since made my day numbers of times.
Tolle has his place, although my analytical tendencies and need for self direction, and TRYING... took what he said and made it my job. Too much concentration on labeling the me's, the ego flags, watching.
Krishnamurti--- cutting away the dream of any kind of reliance on another humans' intuition.
"So, it is up to you.
There is no leader.
There is no teacher.
There is nobody to tell you what to do.
You are alone in the mad brutal world.'
Toni Packer-- resting in the knowledge that as the heart beats without thinking, my life lives without thinking. I am the awareness that has ever existed. I don't have to practice being aware... it happens naturally.
Mooji--- meshes so suscinctly with the ONLY thing I've ever been sure of. I am, I exist. Having come so many times to the place of not knowing... only knowing the fact of existance.... His teaching is to the only point I can trust. He has worked to drop all dogma, refuses to be pulled into creation of dogma for his followers. As he says... a mirror doesn't 'work or toil' it just does what it does without breaking a sweat. Reflecting the world or a face... effortless reflecting. All we 'do' after finding who we are is as simple as the mirror reflecting. Effortless. 'Just' give attention to who you are.

'Course these are the ones who feed the beliefs which calm my heart these days, and pulls me to the stillness of the unknown. The ones who DRIVE me to that same stillness, before time, and name... with pain and loss teach even more, it seems. But I reverently omit their names. Family, friends, lovers past.... Ah. Grace.

Mathew Kalavany

Who is your favourite spiritual teacher?

Post by Mathew Kalavany » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:49 pm

The only Guru you can totally rely on is life itslef.Everything/everybody else comes as a part of it.Having said that my favourite teacher is J.Krishnamurti.When he tried to show others what he saw,he never twisted the truth to suit the ears of his listners.Osho puzzles me very much.More than 90% of what he says seems to me true lies.But the remaining 10 or 5% is authentic and first hand.

Pako Chubi

Post by Pako Chubi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:45 pm

maybe Mooji... and Osho is also great if you have some degree of readiness to read him (if not you may loose a little bit in his words, becouse of the various stuff of wich he speaks)

kwes

Post by kwes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:59 am

Lao Tzu

Also, check out Osho's book entitled "compassion" if you haven't already.