Why not much reference to Osho?

borris83

Why not much reference to Osho?

Post by borris83 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:04 pm

Just a general question out of curiosity..

In the books about non-dual teachings and talks given by non-dual teachers, I have seen every teacher referencing the quotes of Ramana, Nisargadatta Maharaj, Jesus, Buddha,Zen and Tao teachers and the awakened teachers of the west in the past couple of decades, but why no one talks about Osho and what he said?

Is that because of all the controversies around him? :? ..

For me, Osho seems to be the most revolutionary teacher and someone who actually created an awareness about the false identity we take ourselves to be, all around the world... In spite of all the controversial comments, I think he is one of the most important people in this century who made us aware of the eternal, undivided and the only truth behind all the noise that the mind is making...

????? :roll:

Ananda

Re: Why not much reference to Osho?

Post by Ananda » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:22 pm

I find that Osho repeats himself a lot without actually saying much. He is decent, but he isn't direct.

borris83

Post by borris83 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:11 am

Almost whatever Osho has talked has been made into books, and that is one of the reasons why it sounds to be too repetitive.. Even I have felt so, but we have to keep in mind that he talked for more than 35 years... Even if we make all of the Eckhart's talks he is going to make in this life into books, they will sound repetitive..

Also, he says that he uses words as an excuse so that people will listen to the silence between words... When you listen to the discourse rather than reading the books, you will see the long pauses in between the words which he makes intentionally..

Also, his style of talking things is poetical.. Sometimes, he exaggerates things to stress something, which is a style in poetry.. That is just his own way of saying things..Initially a lot of patience may required to get used to his way, but after reading a few books that doesn't matter at all..

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:49 am

I like Osho a lot. I couldn't figure him out when I first encountered him in the mid 70s and then dismissed him following all of the controversy surrounding him. But after reading ET and "getting it" I went back and reread Osho (previously known as Bhagavan Rajneesh) and was stunned by what I found - some of the clearest stuff out there.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

borris83

Post by borris83 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:58 am

kiki wrote:I like Osho a lot. I couldn't figure him out when I first encountered him in the mid 70s and then dismissed him following all of the controversy surrounding him. But after reading ET and "getting it" I went back and reread Osho (previously known as Bhagavan Rajneesh) and was stunned by what I found - some of the clearest stuff out there.
Yeah, :) You have said that before, But do you have any comments on my actual question on why he is not referenced so much? Even in the latest book I read which is 'Wake up Now', Stephen Bodian has given the quotes of almost all the famous teachers except Osho.. Why do you think it is so?

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:57 am

Yes, I see the reason for the repetition. I find Osho to be incredibly loose with his writing, and with his subject matter. I enjoy his anecdotes and analogies. However, when it comes to the actual message, there are others out there who can relay the message more clearly and concise. Take Jac O Keeffe, for example, she says what needs to be said in under 150 pages, whereas Osho can fill an epic sized book without really saying much more, and there are lots of trimmings and trappings that come along with that. He offers a good read, but not a direct one.

jackh

Post by jackh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:07 am

I have very limited experience with Osho, but just from the few quotes I've read from The Book of Secrets and a couple of videos I've watched, I agree with kiki that he is very clear.

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:26 pm

But do you have any comments on my actual question on why he is not referenced so much?
I don't know why.
I find Osho to be incredibly loose with his writing, and with his subject matter. I enjoy his anecdotes and analogies. However, when it comes to the actual message, there are others out there who can relay the message more clearly and concise. Take Jack O Keeffe, for example, she says what needs to be said in under 150 pages, whereas Osho can fill an epic sized book without really saying much more,
borris addressed this point when he said:
Almost whatever Osho has talked has been made into books, and that is one of the reasons why it sounds to be too repetitive.. Even I have felt so, but we have to keep in mind that he talked for more than 35 years...
His books are transcriptions of his talks. Who knows how his message would have appeared had he actually put pen to paper, but my guess it would have been much more concise.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:02 pm

I would think they are so much in the world they have to maintain their integrity by not associating with "riff raff" :lol:

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:57 am

Yes, I see the reason for the repetition.

:wink:

borris83

Post by borris83 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:21 am

Another thing with Osho is, he had an Ashram in Pune and then in U.S where people worked and lived, sometimes even for life time... Unlike the western teachers today who conduct retreats and satsangs but have their own personal life, Osho talked almost everyday, 3-4 hours in stretch... He insists often that talking to them is just an excuse in order make the people receptive in his presence.. We can understand what he means if we watch the video of discourse rather than read his books....

Also, most of his talks are just casual conversations with his intimate disciples and they were recorded whenever he spoke.. For example, he talks about a response he sent for an email he received, something that happened that morning, a book that he read recently or about someone in the ashram who is struggling with something etc... I agree that his talks are not direct, because he didn't intended them to be... They were very casual, along with a lot of jokes that he makes and sometimes makes fun too... But later those recorded conversations were made into books without missing anything he said..

In the book 'Last testament', there are lot of interviews taken by press, and when I read them the responses of Osho sounded little egoic.. But, later when I watched the same interviews as videos, It was different.. He was not at all serious and there is no sign of ego in the tone he responded and the way his face appeared.. So, it is also possible that some people might have misunderstood just by reading the books and thought he is not realized..

These are some books that I enjoyed very much, especially the early talks:
1. I say unto you (Commentaries on Gospel of Thomas)
2. Tao: The empty boat
3. Krishna and his philosophy
4. Vedanta: The seven steps to Samadhi
5. The rebel
6. Beyond enlightenment
7.My way- The way of white clouds
8.Glimpses of my golden childhood (his talks about his childhood experiences, his enlightenment, his experiences as a student and university professor)
9. The book of secrets

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:21 pm

You mean Osho just recounted a life of an enlightened man day by day? I have two books at the moment ...well 3...Osho and Tolle x2. They are quite enough for me. I have been wondering how you all go on reading and reading this and that and this and that,
I have not even felt inclined to touch O keefe and byron etc etc I just do not feel I need to, I have enough here to do with these two books....I also thought..."Most of your books have been collected by chance rather than recommendation etc. " I came across Rumi when I was in a relationship, a friend, who had no idea about my relationship sent me a quote from Rumi. I cannot explain to you the "high" I had that day from the combination of those two things! It was incredibly beautiful and I shall never forget it, so I love Rumi too. But to keep seeking reading etc. it is all the Mind.

"Thinking is only a small aspect of consciousness. Thought cannot exist without consciousness, but consciousness does not need thought." Tolle

Forget all of the above! I could buy all the Zen poets on Amazon! I have just seen a link from borris leading to " Mind beyond death" that I feel I like. and to cap it all Osho says

"If you listen to your likings, you are listening to your old mind. One has to do some things against ones likings and then one grows."

I have this terrible tendency to immediately "sense" what I like and dont like as far as books go and it is limiting me I suppose?
Although at school I was forced to read many books for my Eng. Lit. which I initially hated but came to love so.....but I am not at school now so I guess old habits die hard and school really doesnt change you all that much! :lol: But at the end of it all you all seek this absolute nothingness so whats the point? why clutter yourself with stuff when its nothingness you seek?!! Peaceman the Layman
Last edited by Peaceman on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

borris83

Post by borris83 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:35 pm

You mean Osho just recounted a life of an enlightened man day by day?
Not sure exactly what you mean by that...

Anyway, your posts raises the question' what is the purpose of a spiritual book?" :D

I just enjoy reading, interesting to see how truth is expressed in so many different ways

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:48 pm

You said borris that Osho just talked about everyday things as he came upon them. Thats what I meant. He was an enlightened man viewing his day. ??
Just saw about Osho and his childhood....well me....at age 15 I had a black book, it was squarish, not exactly square, it was a notebook....and in that book I recall vividly...writing about Past Present and Future!! Unfortunately it was in my old trunk and my parents threw it out when I left home( I think)! Right from a very early age I had a tendency towards mind and philosophy. My father talked and talked about such complex(to me at a young age) things(philosophical things) and I recall my mind swirling with thoughts never still never quiet always thinking reasoning etc. Then one evening as he talked my mind went blank! from that day forward I have never ever been troubled by thoughts! Was that my enlightenment ? :lol: Maybe he was my master, I thought that much I blew! :lol:

And all I find in these books is ...repetition repetition repetition ...not referring to Osho ...referring to books on sprituality they are nearly always another "take" on the same old thing. I would rather go back to the Chinese Zen masters.

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:08 am

I feel compelled to mention that I watched a documentary once on cult leaders and a big portion was on Osho/Rajneesh and his ashram in Pune. While it was certainly one-sided, there were many videos that were disturbing. They had these "encounter groups" where people would beat each up other under some therapeutic guise of catharsis. People broke bones. The documentary also pointed out that people were expected to have sex with anyone, and apparently people who died there were cremated without making any record of their deaths, so there was no way to look into them. If I can find out the name of the documentary, I'll update this post. Just thought this should be added to the discussion here.

-yoshimi