Wayne Dyer

Wayne Dyer

Postby heidi » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:35 am

I just watched Wayne's presentation of The Power of Intention on PBS. What a guy. It's truly all about aligning with The Source - the unmanifested, stepping out of the way of the source and allowing it to fulfill us. Highly recommended! Also, it was shot in Boston (near me) at the Emerson Majestic Theater, which is the theater of my alma mater, Emerson College. They restored it to it original beauty and the place is heaven on earth!
Happy New Year Aligning Ourselves with the Source of Everything!
:)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby summer » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:52 am

Wayne Dyer is such an awesome speaker. And to think that he was on national television :D
Millions of people are being inspired to align with their Source and getting very excited about it

I love it :D
summer

Postby AndyD » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:09 pm

What a coincidence as I was just browsing the net for more information about his work after finding a link from Power of Now on Amazon.

I found some of his work for download on Audible.com and thought that, just like Eckhart's work, the audio may be a great deal more beneficial than the printed word.

Can anyone give me any more information?
AndyD

Postby kiki » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:50 am

Heidi,

You said, "It's truly all about aligning with The Source - the unmanifested, stepping out of the way of the source and allowing it to fulfill us." I know this is what Dwyer teaches, but there is a fundamental flaw in this kind of teaching because it maintains a dualistic vision of reality. We think that we should align with the source; but who is it that would do this aligning? Try to find it - it can't be done because who you think yourself to be is only a set of ideas. Discover directly what you are before any idea arises about anything, including ideas of who you believe yourself to be.

It's truly about realizing that you ARE the source - that which would step out of the way of the source doesn't really exist. You are the source of everything - you as awareness. Without awareness nothing could exist, and You ARE awareness. Everything else is a modification of awareness and cannot exist apart from You. Difficulties seem to arise when you believe yourself to be separate from anything else.

If you listen to and read Tolle you will see that he points this out to you in different ways. More importantly, if you discover this for yourself you become the only authority you need for living a peaceful and happy life.

Dwyer's teaching is good on many levels but it doesn't go far enough. It may help you live a more comfortable life within the dream but it won't wake you up to your natural state. Living life from your natural state as pure awareness reveals your former life to be one of delusion, where you are subject to the dualities of love and hate, good and bad, and so forth. All dualities are mind made and do not really exist. Awareness is beyond mind. It is identification with mind that keeps one trapped within duality and suffering. Simply rest in/as the awareness that all else arises within.
kiki

Postby heidi » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:59 am

Hi Kiki - I don't see the connecting as a duality - it and me - is see it as a melding. opening to isness - a wholeness. I see it as a conscious seeing of when and where our minds take us away from that wholeness. Our minds so do keep us as me and it - ego stuff - but connecting - which is being - is so good for all of us human thinkers to be aware of. Like looking at that plant and understandng its isness.
yes, we are the source but also our minds have removed us - hence why Tolle wrote his works, and we become conscious of our need for alignment. And as Dyer says: the source is (you are ) self fulfilling - there is not good/bad there jjust is the whole thing ready to fulfill you, so what you think is what you get. Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change...:)

The noise we make - our planes and boats and electricity and cars and pollution and factories and all - yes, this is "part of it all", but I find that these aspects dampen the open path of nowness just as the mind-made shit does from the now, the source, the joy. I need to chang the way I see these interferences - this noise that makes it hard for me to be congruent.

During the tsunami native peoples knew to go to high ground because they we not fettered by all of the "noise" of our current state of "civilization." This noise - yes it's part of the all - but shit, man it stands between us and the stars, us and the night sky, us and the air, and the water. I loved it that the native guy shot an arrow at a coast guard helicopter. We need to get back to the nature of things, and that's not dualistic, it's necessary to our survival as a species.

kiki - thanks so much for initiating this conversation.
Heidi
heidi

Postby heidi » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:08 am

Kiki wrote:
Living life from your natural state as pure awareness reveals your former life to be one of delusion, where you are subject to the dualities of love and hate, good and bad, and so forth. All dualities are mind made and do not really exist.

But, see! That statement in itself is a fine example and paradox of dualistic thinking!
:)
Heidi
heidi

Postby kiki » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:49 am

Heidi said, "But, see! That statement in itself is a fine example and paradox of dualistic thinking!"

Allow me to clarify my quote about living life from the natural state. When the natural state is revealed as what You really are it is understood (by no one) that there is no 'me', and that there never was - all there is is what is, and all that is arises out of You/pure awareness -- this is nondualism. From this perspective the insight arises that any ideas concerning a separate individual were creations of a mind and subsequently adopted as part of an ego structure. Thoughts simply happen, they aren't created by an individual. However, prior to awakening there is the belief that they belong to 'me'. It is this belief in a 'me' that is the cause of all suffering. Without a 'me' to judge, compare, reflect upon the 'past' or project into a 'future' (both of which are mind creations) there are no 'problems' - there is just what is and simply situations which arise which are met and delt with, but they are met and delt with by nobody in particular.

As soon as any sort of 'other' arises mind has entered the picture. Mind/ego is what seems to separate one thing from another. Without mind/ego everything is revealed as the whole. A mind will create the concept of God and ego then struggles with ways to 'connect, meld, reunite' with God, and in its attempts to do so all sorts of drama gets played out. The one (ego) who would attempt to reunite with God is itself nonexistent as a reality, but because there is a belief in the existence of ego as a permanent reality suffering arises. You cannot be something that comes and goes, which ego and mind clearly do. The only 'thing' which doesn't come and go is the awareness in which everything arises within.

The only thing which is permanent and nonchanging is pure awareness, and That's what you really are. Ego is nothing but tightly held beliefs which gives the ficticious ego a sense of existence and which separates it from everything else. Directly seeing that ego isn't real undermines the egoic structure. At some point one no longer falls for the storylines that ego comes up with - ego is simply seen as something else which arises out of the nonchanging pure awareness which you really are.

And yes, to the mind there are great paradoxes which present themselves, but that's just the way it is. No amount of mental gymnastics can get around them, but because all we are left with in communicating this are concepts those paradoxes will remain. What you are, pure awareness, is beyond the mind, and therefore beyond explanation.

To communicate implies at least two - the one who has something to say and the one to whom it is being passed. In doing so dualism has already been created. Communication reeks of dualism, yet we seldom question the existence of the 'individual' who attempts to do it.

With the realization of what one is dualism is transcended, because dualism is seen to be part of the whole (ANOTHER PARADOX!). But the belief in dualism makes everything seem to be separate. Do you see the distinction?

Yes, minds take us away from what we really are. But is that actually true or does it only seem true? How can you be taken away from the reality which you really are? Only to the ego does this become a problem, but are you an ego? Changing HOW you think about things does indeed change the way things are perceived and how one relates to that which you interact with, but who is it that believes those thoughts and interacts with the 'other'? Prior to awakening it is 'me', after awakening it is seen to be no one.
kiki

Postby lakeswimr » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:17 am

I found his books helpful a few years ago when I was going through the most difficult time in my life. I especially got a lot out of 'There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem.' I thought 'What do you really want for children' was very good as well.

I have 'The Power of Intention' in book form and somehow haven't been able to get into it, which surprised me. I find the focus on manifesting not what I'm drawn to at this time. I have seen bits and pieces of his presentation of the ideas in the book on PBS and it looked good, though. I loved his pressentation on PBS of the 10 spiritual laws of success or whatever it was called. I think he is such a great speaker.

I don't think all his message matches ET but that's OK. :)

edited to add--I posted before I saw the other posts in this thread besides Heidi's first. I will expand and say that I find Dyer's emphasis on manifesting contradictory to Tolle's books. I don't think there is anything wrong with manifesting but I do believe that it does "keep us trapped in a prison" as kiki said at TPON to me once. I have found this shift in myself going from someone who connected with high beings in the spiritual realm to starting to focus inward and be aware of consciousness and be present. I am surprised that I am not into manifesting now. I thought of this today. Manifesting will bring good things to my life but with a cost. I don't know how to put my realization on this into words now. I had it all recently, but now I don't. I guess part is that a lot of what I wanted to manifest was connected to ego and my ego is shrinking and so are my desires to manifest things. I think there is more to it but that is part.

Lisa
lakeswimr

Postby heidi » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:01 pm

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Lisa. Kiki's last words were wonderful to read again. :)
And I'm off to make a new thread about manifestation and acceptance, thanks to your post.
Heidi
heidi

Postby kiki » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:00 pm

Manifesting what you want is fine for what it does, I have no problem with that at all. It's just another part of the play of consciousness. One must ask oneself, however, what is it that one TRULY wants from the desired manifestation.

If you are really good at it I suppose you could manifest yourself all kinds of financial security, the ideal relationship, and any manner of other things. But, when those are achieved is lasting happiness, fulfillment, and peace also achieved? Has this worked for anyone in bringing lasting contentment? More likely, what will happen is that something new will be desired in hopes that that will bring a greater sense of fulfillment. I think that at the core of all such desires is the desire for something lasting, and the pursuit of something lasting outside oneself is futile.

If what one TRULY wants is freedom and UNCONDITIONAL peace, fulfillment and happiness then there is no need to seek it through egoic/mind powers of manifestation, because you are already free. Discover the freedom first, then see if there is any desire to add anything else through manifestation (who would there be who is desiring anything when awakening has been revealed?). Then manifestation takes on more of a quality of playfulness for the sake of playfulness, rather than being a means for achieving a greater sense of completeness. Manifestation is then seen as simply the unfoldment of what is, and is not done by anyone in particular. In other words, manifestation is always happening but it is no longer egocentric.
kiki

Postby lakeswimr » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:41 am

Kiki,

You said, "More likely, what will happen is that something new will be desired in hopes that that will bring a greater sense of fulfillment. I think that at the core of all such desires is the desire for something lasting, and the pursuit of something lasting outside oneself is futile."

This has been my experience. My friend introduced me to Abraham, a spirit channeled by someone Hicks. They recently published a book with a forward written by Wayne Dyer. They are into manifesting positive things and hearts' desires. They say that there is nothing wrong with manifesting and that it is what life is all about. They say that it is impossible to stop desiring and that desiring is deeply part of being human. They sayit is great to move from one desire to the next as desire promotes action. They say that people who say that when you are spritiually advanced you don't have desires are not truthful as the desire for enlightenment is still a desire.

I think this is something anyone can answer for themselves by doing what you suggested--getting present and seeing if there are still any desires. In my experience there aren't.

In my life I am still dealing with people who have serious health issues and these are triggers for my desires. I don't squash these desires. It will be interesting to get present the next time I'm feeling this way and see what happens.
lakeswimr

Postby DiannaLee » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:41 pm

I watched that Power Of Intention series on PBS and found myself making a donation to PBS to get the cd's, book, etc. What Wayne Dyer had to say was at least pointing me in the direction of Source, God, Bob or whatever you want to to call It. It was a step that was helpful in getting out of depression but something in his message doesn't completely ring true for me. When he talks about replacing negative thoughts with positive ones and keep replacing a thought until you find one you like (pick a delusion...any delusion) and, as was already stated, the whole manifesting abundance concept, it seemed like he was tailoring his teachings to be popular and appeal more to "mainstream" folks disullusioned with traditional religions.
DiannaLee

Postby kiki » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:33 am

Dianne said,

"When he talks about replacing negative thoughts with positive ones and keep replacing a thought until you find one you like (pick a delusion...any delusion)"

As long as you are trapped in thought, whether it's a good or bad thought, you are trapped in duality. Identity/ego is based on a mental viewpoint, and is therefore subject to duality. You can have all the positive thoughts you want but each of them has a counterbalancing thought. When awareness has been realized to be what you are, becoming trapped in duality ceases because identity is no longer invested in mental viewpoints, the provence of duality.

Waking up isn't about manifesting and creating a comfortable life, it's about realizing the truth of one's being, and the truth of being lies beyond thought.
kiki

Postby lakeswimr » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:27 pm

I like and agree with what Kiki said.

I think that positive thinking is limited and I think that replacing negative thoughts with positive ones can be running away from experiecing pain.

I find experiencing and allowing pain a powerful way to transmute it.

I do still have a warm spot for Wayne Dyer. His books got me through the hardest part of my life and led me to ET.
lakeswimr

Postby heidi » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:08 am

But manifestation isn't just about positive or negative thinking. It's about acceptance and being congruent with It, with nature, with Self. And aren't we all merely manifestations, too? A manifestation of isness or love or whatever?
Heidi
heidi

Next

Return to Spiritual Teachers