HH Dalai Lama Downunder

smiileyjen101

HH Dalai Lama Downunder

Post by smiileyjen101 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:28 am

I am on a cloud of now-bliss :D

Last year sometime a call went out for volunteers to help organisers with the Dalai Lama's visit downunder. Yesterday one of the organisers led those that put their hand up, committed, trained and turned up since that time in a meditation to prepare us for the first day.

In my meditation I thought of you all, and took you with me on my journey.

In the training there was mention of and thanks for, the 'choices' we'd all made along the way that led us to that room in heart, mind, body and spirit --- and I smiled and thought about Enigma and the free will thread :shock:

In keeping with my understanding that disappointment can only stem from expectation I kept a pulse on my expectations and noticing any as the excitement started to build (counting sleeps like a child before Xmas). I honed it down until I found the core of my 'expectation' while accepting it would be okay if it didn't happen.

I wanted first to be of service to assist others to enjoy his visit (which was within my ability to respond to the best of my ability - being kind, understanding, compassionate, helpful, open) and to hear him giggle in person and to absorb the sharing he so kindly and lovingly gives out.

Particularly the event yesterday was hosted by a hospice and was themed for clients of youth and community groups that assist in areas like physical disability, mental illnesses, refugees, homelessness, former inmates, drug and alcohol addictions, indigenous issues, domestic violence so the service aspect was very real in need.

As it turned out he giggled and laughed a lot and it is sooooo delicious it sends bubbles of love and compassion just wafting out like someone blowing pink bubbles and everyone's eyes and hearts lighting up as they float passed. The love and compassion and hope he shared - and his very gorgeous innocence and humour - I also noticed something very (for me) important.

imho (and while not a Buddhist I do have to bow my head in reverence at this)
- He takes his responsibilities very seriously, but his 'role' not at all seriously.

And now I don't know if can explain that. He was discussing that because of his daily routine of getting up at about 3 am to meditate for 5 or 6 hours being very helpful for putting him in the right frame of mind for the day, then letting the day happen however it unfolds, and about 7.30 pm going to bed to sleep, which he loves to do, no matter where in the world he is. So the time differences don't affect him. He just sets his body clock to the local time so he sleeps and gets up on local time. He likes to get 7 or 8 hours sleep a night because it's important for the body to have that rest.

But then he said so no problems for the mind with the time difference. You just set your time to local and sleep, but oh... the body (and he rubbed his tummy) the body doesn't know the local time, so going to the toilet is not as easy as sleeping.

The audience giggled and he giggled then launched into an explanation of how his bowel movements are usually either every day or every two days, but when he is travelling overseas it takes the body some time to work it out so sometimes it doesn't happen like that. )more belly rubbing and a feigned groan, then giggle) But sleep (hands together at the side of his head like a child does)- that is easy, and he laughed, rubbed his tummy, shaking his head smiling.

By this time the audience were so one with him. That he can bring his life story down to the most basic of human beingness, oneness with all human beings and share that with no pretences or barriers. There was no separation in that room - and no room for separation on any level.

It's often been a thing of mine to not idolise - not separate human beings one from another and when I was helping some young professional sports people to integrate into the world of their idols, playing against their heroes I forged a tool for them - to meet their heroes and imagine them farting as they shook hands. This would melt the young ones into fits of laughter so that by the time they did meet their heroes there were no barriers of super-humanness between them (well not from the young ones' point of view anyway).

What I saw/felt/absorbed from the audience in response to HH's sharing was - no matter their situation, no matter their suffering, no matter their circumstance - they were equal to and one with him.

It was very real-time responding to individual needs and situations in the circumstances, but the merging of it all into one - a sense of okayness, a sense of oneness, a sense of acceptance, joy and enthusiasm - the audience floated out of there on a huge big pink bubble, I noticed many with their eyes glazed from smiling and laughing and opening their hearts so much.

Oh! and I need to share with Rick - a journalist asked him if he'd heard the joke about the DL going into a pizza shop and asking if they could make him 'one with everything'. He shook his head, said I don't get it - what is pizza shop?

:?

So in essence folks I carried not just Enigma and Rick on this journey with me, but all of you who have shared your questions, your journeys, your thoughts and feelings here, everything that we are doing and sharing here is 'in' me, came with me and was also one in the pink bubble.

He did say something that was personally interesting for me - after he had been asked to bless scarves and other things put on the stage by audience members he was speaking about his non-ability to heal people or have special powers but that he would willingly bless them allowing the grace to come through him. He mentioned he is very sceptical if someone says they can heal someone, he is not sure about that at all. He said if someone came up to him and said they could heal him he would be very sceptical too, but sometimes it does happen.

I giggled... I would love to share with him the healers I know would likely not say they could heal anyone, they would only agree to be of service, to the best of their ability allowing the grace to come through them, if asked (as he was :wink: ).

Tomorrow is the second (and much bigger) event and I need no thing from it at all. I will just BE there.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

Rick

Re: HH Dalai Lama Downunder

Post by Rick » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:23 am

Jen, that was really, really fun to read. I look forward to tomorrows report. Thank you so much for sharing this.

My favorite part was this:
It's often been a thing of mine to not idolise - not separate human beings one from another and when I was helping some young professional sports people to integrate into the world of their idols, playing against their heroes I forged a tool for them - to meet their heroes and imagine them farting as they shook hands. This would melt the young ones into fits of laughter so that by the time they did meet their heroes there were no barriers of super-humanness between them (well not from the young ones' point of view anyway).
I love what you do for these youngins. This is love of the highest order speaking to them. They are lucky to have you in their lives. Blessings.
Daily life IS spiritual exercise.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Really enjoyed the read Jen. Thanks for sharing and taking us with you. :D

WW

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:40 pm

What a wonderful report, and thank you for your volunteering efforts to help organize his visit.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:52 pm

Great stuff, Jen. Thanks for taking us along! I too love the Dalai Lama's lack of pretension, his childlike innocence and unending compassion. Have you ever seen the movie "7 years in Tibet". I bet you might like it. Keep us posted and enjoy the events.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Namaste folks :D :D :D I've already posted a couple of HH's answers to question in the Magical thinking thread, but here is more from today's event.

HH and I bowed to each other in love and compassion today.

I've picked up this funny habit the past few days, when the love fills me, when oneness bubbles out I usually just smile big or giggle or sigh, but I've noticed I've started clasping my hands together and bowing slightly even when alone, still smiling, but its funny - it's maybe putting a quiet 'thank you universe' into the mix. It feels fun and lovely to do it too.

I've been in the company of monks and nuns, so it kind of feels right too. The Dalai Lama did it to me today as I was bowing towards him, without even thinking, with so much love and gratitude, joy and compassion in his prescence (still without idolising.. :wink: )

I am soooo big (with love) I'm not sure where to start. The day was a glorious sunny winters day with gusts of chilly wind to wake you up. On Wed for the first public session it was the holiest day of the Buddhist calendar (forgive me I don't remember it's name) then that night was the full moon lunar eclipse, and it all seems so auspicious. Wednesday's was up close and personal, smaller crowd (3000) in an indoor venue.

So today's session was at my favourite venue, an outdoor event staging area within our Botanic Gardens, the river winds around the gardens and this venue is on a hill, stage at the bottom closest to the river and seating mostly on the grass on the natural wide sweeping incline surrounded by palm trees - summer night concerts here are divine. Originally this bigger audience (9000) was supposed to be in a convention centre but when HH heard about the floods he changed it all to make it a ticketed free event and to invite 1000 people affected by the floods as seated VIPs, plus the general audience, hence they needed a bigger venue.

The mayor of one of our cities most affected was visibly humbled to be invited to share HH's couch onstage, as was the host MC. He held both of their hands as he spoke, patted their legs as they sat with him between them. He laughed about their brotherhood and turned these grown men - a politician and a journalist/presenter, into soft little innocent boys full of wonder as if listening intently to the wisdom of their grandfather figure and telling only the truth in their answers to his questions.

He made the same sort of jokes about their standing and power in the community as he did about his own and fed them humble to the audience, again making all one, all equal, all teachers and students, brothers and sisters together. they spoke a lot about applying love and compassion in their work and their lives. He shared the secrets of a happy life in caring for others, seeing the bigger picture and living with love and compassion for all. In seeing your problems as 'little' in the big picture of your whole life, and in the whole family of humanity.

After awhile of chatting with these two he took questions from the audience.

A young boy asked him how come he got picked to be the Dalai Lama. He laughed and said it was a very long story, told a little about reincarnation and of how they knew where to look from the last Dalai Lama saying where he would be found and how they came looking and gave tests to the candidates of the right age in his area.

He said there were three, but one passed away, so now there was only two - "and I won!!"
He laughed and giggled and everyone laughed with him in his excitement at 'winning to be the Dalai Lama'.

A woman with a terminal illness asked for advice on how to make it easier on those left behind when she died. His answer was almost my template for living - live it fully with love and compassion and therefore you will have no regrets. Then tell your family and friends that you have lived well and are well satisfied with the life you've lived and they will have no regrets.

To another who asked about grief at the loss of loved ones, particularly suddenly in the floods and natural disasters he nodded solemnly for a long time. Eventually he shared his grief of his greatest teacher when he passed away, how sad and feeling unable to go on with out his teacher. But then he realised if his teacher could see him, how sad that would make him, how disappointed he would be to see him this way. and so the best thing for those who you love is to honour them, to be as you know would make them happy to see you (he kept adding if they can see you better they see you happy). So the advice was (is) much the same as for those who are dying, live your life fully with love and compassion and let them see you happy if they see you.

Another woman very close to the stage asked how with a mental illness she could find a way to belong in our society when she didn't feel as if she did. She was crying as she thanked him for coming and for sharing himself with everyone. He was visibly moved and asked to be helped off his couch so he could hug her to ease her pain. He quite simply tried to get up himself (it was a deep, soft couch) and said 'I have to get up and hug her, she is in pain with those tears, our sister is in pain.'

They brought her onstage and he held her, patted her back as she wept then wiped away her tears from her cheeks and then held her cheeks smiling, looking into her eyes and then he laughed and she smiled, so he laughed more and then she laughed ... then he told her she already does belong to the family of humanity and everyone clapped and he said 'see... your brothers and sisters are telling you, your fears are in your own mind - reach out as you just did and someone with love and compassion will smile with you, laugh with you, dry your tears when you cannot do it for yourself.

The AV camera went to the two men still near the couch and their eyes were misty with tears and beamed across the big screens and into the audience - it will be interesting to watch the pursuits of these two from this day forward.

Another woman said her son was soon to join the army, and how could she help him balance the karma that killing another human being would bring if he was called to do that in battle.

HIs answer started with, when he was young he used to have a battle with mosquitoes, they used to hurt him and he used to hurt them back...and I am much bigger than a mosquito so my slap to them so yes I would kill them. Then he went on that as he got older he learned to see it from the mosquito's point of view. They held no malice against him, they just liked to drink his blood, it was in their nature. He spoke at length about teaching children to be mindful of what is in the nature of other animals, he spoke about cats, dogs with great descriptions of their natures and understanding them. He had earlier spoken about separating the sin from the sinner, the act from the person - to address the act, the troublemaking, while loving the person and employing forgiveness, not anger. And that God loves and forgives.

He told her the best she can do with her children is to teach them this, and if she needs to put a mean face to them at times, to do so, not to harm them, but to love them.

I wondered if the question got lost in translation, or if he purposely left it up to her to decide.

So that was how the DL's role touched the audience today. Me, I got to scan the tickets of the VIPs as they came into the venue, and once they were all in I was free to sit on the grass and take it all in. On Wednesday I was more serious, looking after the media and more fragile people. But today I got to be in fun-at-work and then chill and be.

Do you know when they scan your ticket at an event these days it comes up with a YES or a NO from the bar code, and if you've forgotten your ticket and booked it online it has your name etc in the system so if you lost or forgot your ticket you can 'search' from a name and still get a YES. My putting joy into it today was getting excited for the ticket holder when it came up YES! (and of course they all did!!) and showing them the joyous result onscreen, and taking the seriousness out of it with the security guys that a) they should stand in front not behind us, that way they'd block the wind for us, and if they wanted to make an older woman's day when they were scanning the 'wand' over them they could call her 'Miss' not 'Madam' (which they did when they remembered :lol: and if I heard them say madam I only had to turn my head and they'd say 'sorry MISS')

There's also a 'thing' here (sigh) that water bottles with lids are considered a possible missile at events so you have to make people take the lids off before entering. We collected our used coffee cups and told them they could leave them in there and come back and collect one if they wanted on their way out. The number of people who appreciated this was... well, lovely.

When HH was farewelling the crowd he said he was off to Perth to have more conversations with people, and that's exactly what it's been like...conversations. He said, so if you still want to live a life with problems, that's up to you now, I'm not taking your problems with me. If you want to be happy, and live a happy life, that's up to you now.
:wink:

I have some amazing photos I've taken which I'd love to share with their stories, if someone can tell me how you get the photos to show in the topic.

ee gads... it's 2am!! ...morning all I'm off to bed!! hmmm HH will be up in an hour.

love and compassion all!
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:40 pm

Thank you Smiley for that wonderful post :D.
I'd love to see the pictures too. I've never posted a pic--so I'll let someone else tell you. Sweet dreams!

Rick

Post by Rick » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:45 am

Another nice report. Thank you for that.

Jen, about posting pics. Do you know how to upload and store your photos somewhere in cyberspace? That would the first step.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:03 am

First step done. Ready for next one :wink:

Rick

Post by Rick » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:26 am

OK Jen, after you upload your pics to where ever they go, open them up and look to the top of the window to see the address where they live. Highlight and copy the address and then when you are in the posting window on this forum where you type your words look above the box and notice the little boxes that indicate, for example, a B for bold text, an " I" or "U" etc and look for the one that reads IMG. Hit that button and the IMG code boxes come up. Put your photo address between them, and then when you submit your post your images should show up in the post. Give it a shot. If you have any problems with this we'll figure it out.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 am

nope, that didn't work - it came up with a X little picture box and when I right-clicked and hit Show picture... nothing :(

Rick

Post by Rick » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:40 am

OK. Do it again and post here it just as it is so I can see what is going on (or not going on)

Be sure that the complete address is between the [img]and[/img] boxes like this [img]http:blahblahblah[/img]

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:50 am

too late to delete
Last edited by smiileyjen101 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick

Post by Rick » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:07 am

Jen, the photo address should end in .jpg for example something like http://rickhur.net/sunset2008.jpg

So, put together in the img boxes it would produce this:

I suspect that facebook may not allow you to link to your photos there, hence the issue with the address. Do you have another option? There are plenty of free image hosting sites if you don't. Google, for example, has a free program called Picassa which also has a free web based image storage ability. Try goggling "free image hosting" and see what options are available.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:10 am

aha.. by George I think I've got it!! : )

HH "OOOH, there's Jen, she just wants to hear me giggle... :lol: "
Last edited by smiileyjen101 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.