A 13th Century Eckhart

A 13th Century Eckhart

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:10 pm

Meister Eckhart was a radical, mystical monk of the 13th Century, denounced by the Catholic Church as a heretic. He believed in the idea of God "masquerading" as everyone and everything and rejected the idea that the Church was in any way important to a person's salvation. So much of his writings sounds like our own 21st Century Eckhart, as, for instance, this snippet from a sermon:

"There is no process of becoming in God, but only a present moment, that is a becoming without a becoming, a becoming-new without renewal. . . All that is in God is an eternal present- time without renewal."

a_friend

Post by a_friend » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:57 pm

isn't that amazing? I had actually wondered if eckhart was his (tolle's) given name, or if it was one that he'd adopted. thank you for this excellent quote from Meister Eckhart

a friend

Sunshine

Post by Sunshine » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:09 am

Tolle actually did adopt his first name from the 13th century, mystic. I don't remember his real first name right now...but does it matter? :D

Sunshine

Watcher05

Post by Watcher05 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:19 am

Ulrich.

Shaz

Post by Shaz » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:43 am

He made a most appropriate choice of names, did he not?

Shaz

carl

Post by carl » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:12 am

There exists only the present instant... a Now which always and without end is itself new. There is no yesterday nor any tomorrow, but only Now, as it was a thousand years ago and as it will be a thousand years hence.
-Meister Eckhart

JedEye

Post by JedEye » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:10 pm

I read some pages of Meister Eckhart quotes recently. And all are so good. They touch the essence. And some of them I knew were pointing to the truth, but I felt I am not ready to know what they are about yet. Something totally knew which I never experienced and I can`t touch that space yet. And that feeling how bright and spacious and new is that space he is pointing to. Amazing
no more words

dee

Post by dee » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:47 pm

Tis easy to understand why ET chose the name Eckhart

din

Post by din » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:57 pm

Hi Jedeye,
but I felt I am not ready to know what they are about yet

That's an interesting (and limiting) thought. :wink:
:)

JedEye

Post by JedEye » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:30 pm

I like limiting thoughts :D
no more words

Atash

Post by Atash » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:35 am

For those who are not aware--the 13th century version avoided going to the stake--mostly because he was popular with his parish--but the pope condemned 30-some of his sermons to the fires of hell.

Because he was a Catholic priest, it is probably Catholic theologians who are most familiar with his work. However, because some of the sermons are under the ban, good Catholics are not supposed to have read them or to discuss them (tho I think several of his translators HAVE read the banned sermons--they seem to know too much!).

John Paul apparently considered lifting the ban, but probably never got around to it, having bigger fish to fry. My guess is the current Pope is unlikely to.

It doesn't help that some of his sermons are in Latin, which I do not read, and some are in dialectic German.

I would love to have a collection of some pithy quotes for my website.

I would guess that Eckhard read Plotinus, and "got it", unlike most Catholic scholars. Like many mystics he probably had spontaneous awakenings before then, and it all made sense. He then understood a lot of the mystical elements of Gospel scripture, which the Church censors had missed.

My understanding is that the Church tolerated mystecism, BUT only AFTER the practitioner swore fealty to the church, AND it was forbidden to disclose mystical teachings to the riff-raff who were to be kept dazzled with the hocus-pocus. But anyone who has had an awakening necessarily realizes that the Church does not--for lack of a better idiom--"own God". Ergo many Christian mystics including Eckhard got into trouble with the Church for teaching others.
The bird flies out of its shell, which is the world. The bird flies up to God. The name of that God is ABRAXIS.

jeremypeace

Post by jeremypeace » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:54 am

his name is not eckhart? :shock:

wow, i never new that.

joyliving

Meister Eckhart said

Post by joyliving » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:19 pm

Meister Eckhart said that there is only one prayer to be prayed, "THANK YOU" would be that prayer.