John Sherman - Just One Look

Onceler

Re: John Sherman - Just One Look

Post by Onceler » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:56 am

fedemart wrote:Ha! You're jackX! I'm fedemart as in here hehe

You are then aware about my discussion with John regarding the forum. I dislike the censorship for newcomers (i.e. before you become self moderated). Three posts I created were never published. John just a few minutes ago decided to publish my last critique to that policy and his response.

It's great this unofficial ET forum exists. I love how we can discuss everything we want to and I love to search older posts because they are so genuine. Anyways, I like JS ideas but this one about how to run the community I don't get it.
Busted! Yeah, I can understand your point of view, although for some reason I never had a problem with it. I respect John and I figure it's his forum. Glad you came around to the justonelook site and hope you hang in there, your opinion is important.
Be present, be pleasant.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:08 pm

In the tradition of 'reports', I posted this on John Sherman's website. This is my experience after the act looking :

Looking report, 4 1/2 years post-looking:

Basically all negative emotional patterns are gone. The anxiety and depression syndromes that infiltrated my whole life are gone. I still get anxious and depressed, to be sure, but these instances don't last long. My preoccupation with salvation, enlightenment, and spiritual perfection is mostly gone. I am still somewhat a bystander to this process, peeking in the windows of spiritual forums to see what others are doing, but less and less inclined to engage myself in these discussions, even to try to explain the effects and simplicity of the looking (fear seems a powerful force in keeping us away from the thing which would mean it's end. At all costs!). The endless spiritual fantasies about liberation and oneness are simply no longer necessary or even desirable.

Guilt and shame, which drove many of my actions and feelings all my life is greatly diminished and almost gone. I have had to learn and rely on other motivational forces....creativity, truth, quality, meaning, etc. Many of the perseverative, idiosyncratic habits and thought patterns which were fueled by guilt and shame simply dropped away. The avoidance of and attempts to ameliorate guilt and shame are no longer necessary. Beer gets undrunken in the fridge, junk food sits, neglected, in the cupboards.

Tasks, work, problem solving have all become easier, more efficient and enjoyable. I simply go to work and do what needs to be done without much fuss and much less procrastination. I have struggled with ADHD and executive functioning difficulties most of my life, made worse by anxiety; focus, working memory, memory, and planning. These issues have been greatly reduced and ameliorated. I can sit down to a task and get lost in it without becoming distracted. These instances of 'flow' have increased enormously. In the past, immersion in a task or process to the point of 'timelessness' only happened when it was something I enjoyed....building with my hands, movies, etc. Now I get caught in flow while driving, doing chores, at work, and other routine things. The internal complaining and desire to be elsewhere during times of boredom or even painful experiences is greatly reduced. I can dial into the present moment with precision and artful direction of attention.

My body was another lifelong obsession. I am no longer obsessed with my looks, my health, or my ailments. I have found it satisfying to take care of my body and health rather than be obsessed with perfect health and fears of illness. I find pleasure in exercise, qigong, cooking and eating (and growing) whole foods. Rather than thinking of these things as salvation, they are simply fulfilling activities in and of themselves which promote positive energy and enjoyment. I can now eat 'bad' food occasionally without fear and guilt and not binge on them as before. My energy levels and stamina for life are higher than ever.

I am not perfect by any stretch. It's been interesting to be honest with myself and allow the truth of my faults and imperfections to come through......something I once avoided at all costs. I always considered myself a 'nice guy'. In fact, this persona was critical to the idealized self I had created. I had to have people like me and went to great lengths to obtain the approval of others. I tend to be socially introverted with a great love for people. It always bothered me that I wasn't more extroverted and socially available as I was often stricken with social anxiety. I found, once the social anxiety went away, that I can tolerate a room full of strangers, but it's simply not my preference. I'm learning to parse my social energies without beating myself up about not being social enough. I still occasionally awake to nightmares, as my dreams seem to be a channel of the fear I'm not experiencing while awake.

I never believed I would experience life in this way, or even imagined life could be experienced in this way. My recovery was rather wretched and afterward there was an emptiness, a vacuum, left by the absence of fear. I had relied on fear all my life; an awful baseline from which to measure every paltry nuance and twitch. Without it, there wasn't much meaning. The psychologist, Martin Seligman, stated that he noticed that when his patients recovered from depression and anxiety they weren't necessarily happy.....the absence of pain wasn't fulfillment and happiness. This too was my rather numb experience for a year or so after the recovery. With the aftermath of the looking, I found that meaning, aka life, filled the void eventually and reliably. It took awhile to get here and I look forward to an ever evolving relationship with this human life as it expands outward. If I can get here with all my doubts, fits and starts, and exquisite neurosis, so can humanity.
Be present, be pleasant.

Fore

Post by Fore » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:48 pm

Sounds like real progress to me. Thumbs up!

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:36 pm

Thanks, Fore. It's been interesting.
Be present, be pleasant.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:04 pm

"You know you're okay when your mind shuts up." John Sherman

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... wOw6Q8yrrM
Be present, be pleasant.