John Sherman - Just One Look

Re: John Sherman - Just One Look

Postby Onceler » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks Andy and RobX, I appreciate your comments, especially because I respect you both. It has only been since I've gotten healthier that I realize how f****ed up I was....and am. I believe I tried to advance spiritually while my roof was leaking, there was water in my basement, and the foundation was never strong enough to bear such speculation. I also believe there are many out there like me, on this forum and beyond, who need to take care of their house and yard before they walk through the neighborhood. Sherman's looking technique (or some self inquiry technique like it) is a way to do this and, in my opinion should be required prep work for the arduous business of expansion of the consciousness,; for the arduous business of living For many, perhaps like me, further ontological speculation will become irrelevant. We really don't have to go through a life time of therapy, books, seminars, etc. We sit in a complicated, immobile cart wondering where the horse is hiding.

I realize in saying this, that I run the risk of extrapolating my own experience on to others...implying relevance where it doesn't belong. Yet I can't help believing that this amazing, brilliant catastrophe we call life is so simple and elemental....a matter of seeing who we are at the nadir of consciousness. The paradox is that we can access this place in a second, no long meditation session required, no lifelong trek through the wilds and ghettos of human spiritual, psychological, philosophical thought. It's right there, a breath away. Free as the air we breath, as common and overlooked as bird song.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby CaiHong » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:22 am

I really appreciate the time people put in on this forum. Oncler your post resonated with me, I do appreciate people sharing the nitty gritty of there life experiences, it gives me some insight into my own situation.

getting your house in order before embarking on this journey rings so true for me.
CaiHong
CaiHong

Postby Sighclone » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Don't think for a moment, Onceler, that your path does not have relevance to many others. For every posted comment on this forum there are five who have read it. and few write as well as you do. But just because breathing is easy does not mean that we will recognize the benefits of pranayama tomorrow. Yes, now that you have used Sherman's technique, you can see and experience the simplicity of Pure Consciousness. But for you for years, and for me for years, that simplicity was buried beneath a set of conditioning/habits/subtle beliefs/stories that made it inaccessible. We have each found a way through that, often by chasing bunny trails to dead-ends. I also like Sherman's technique, but had stumbled into Grace earlier. We can only hope that others will find it, too, and his technique should be on the short list for seekers.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Onceler » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:26 pm

Wise words, Andy. Thanks.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby beginnersmind » Fri May 01, 2015 2:53 pm

Onceler,

It is thoughtful, intelligent, and honest posts such as what you recently wrote here that was the reason I signed up to this board in the first place. Nicely written
beginnersmind

Postby Onceler » Tue May 05, 2015 2:33 am

Thanks, beginnersmind.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Onceler » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:49 am

Nice essay by John Sherman, refining his message:

http://www.justonelook.org/natural/misidentification/
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby fedemart » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:10 am

Hi!

Two years ago I came across ET books and John Sherman. Both helped me come out of a depression.

Then a few weeks ago I was feeling anxious about certain thought and I returned to John's approach. This time I re-read his book, conceptualize it and I think I did the Looking way better than before. The reason why I did it better is because something I want to share here.

This is my summary of JS theory and practice:

LOOK AT YOURSELF - SUMMARY

- Most people live with an unconscious belief John Sherman calls the "fear of life", or "I am this life" which - he believes - is probably acquired as early as during our birth.
- The fear of life cause all kind of psychological issues, like anxiety and obsessive thoughts, that in reality are just symptoms of that underlying, unconscious, belief.
- The fear of life, the belief that I am this life, is something we cannot change consciously, because it is a belief hold very deep in the unconscious, it is the lens through we perceive everything: the outer world, our feelings and thoughts. Thus, we cannot change it through rationalization, convictions, nor understandings.
- In order to eliminate that belief from our unconscious, JS thinks that is enough with one simple conscious practice: to look at yourself. He also refers to this as to "look at the observer", "look that which never changes", "look at the simple sensation of me".
- You only need to do this one time. Then you can do it as often as you want to. The act of looking, or even simpler: the intention to look at yourself, will start an unconscious process, during which your mind will regenerate. Consciously you will see the effects over time, as described by Onceler and other members in this thread. You won't notice any spectacular change in your life or feelings, but overtime you will feel different in your relationship with life events, as explained better by Onceler in this thread.

So my two cents is what is marked in bold: this time I feel I did the looking way better than two years ago, because I understood it is a practice you do to change something in your UNCONSCIOUS. At least for me, this eliminated all the conscious chatter and anxiety while looking at myself. Since I understood this is an exercise to change something UNCONSCIOUS, I understood why the CONSCIOUS thoughts about it don't make any difference, as John Sherman points out one time and again in his book. That realization allowed me to really do the looking without any distractions, and I can get back to it whenever I want to.

I also want to point out that ET's focus on the present moment also helps me a lot while doing the looking and also to meditate, which is also encouraged by JS during the recovery process.

I believe JS theory and practice is purely psychological and it may be confirmed and perhaps expended one day by psychologists. For now, we can only try it ourselves and see if it works for us.

For me I believe it is doing good things! I am excited to see how my personality is changing in unexpected ways. So many things that got my attention instantly are not getting it now. I feel like I am enjoying the present day, the present moment much easier than before. I just don't care so much about thinking about life, I just care about living the life. The thoughts about life continue to appear, but I can avoid putting my attention to them.

So, for now my report is positive, and with the summary above I wanted to share the realization that helped me do it better than ever.
fedemart

Postby Onceler » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:10 am

Nice post, Fedemart. I think you capture Sherman's ideas well. They can be so simple they appear more complex than they are....or we make the act of looking at yourself more complex than it is. I suspect the first time you 'looked' it took, that's why you came back. My life has changed so much in the last 4 years it's stunning, yet despite the changes it feels ordinary and comfortable.

Once again, grateful for your post. I wish everyone would take a couple minutes to look and then go on about their business, being human.....I think the world would shift.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Mystic » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:42 pm

I enjoyed reading the John Sherman web pages. He appears to have discovered a very simple direct no nonsense approach to awakening and peace of mind. :D
Mystic

Postby fedemart » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:20 am

Onceler wrote: Nice post, Fedemart. I think you capture Sherman's ideas well. They can be so simple they appear more complex than they are....or we make the act of looking at yourself more complex than it is. I suspect the first time you 'looked' it took, that's why you came back. My life has changed so much in the last 4 years it's stunning, yet despite the changes it feels ordinary and comfortable.

Once again, grateful for your post. I wish everyone would take a couple minutes to look and then go on about their business, being human.....I think the world would shift.

Yes I think 2 years ago it worked someway and I came back because of it. However this time I feel I did it better, or I am more aware of what is happening, with less obtrusive thoughts, because of the conscious/unconscious realization.

So I guess you must share JS view/vision/cause? He is actively asking for help in terms of volunteers and donations to make everyone do the looking. I guess that, like me, most people that try it want to first really feel like the fear of life is no more and be sure it was thanks to the looking before adhering to JS's cause. Seems you are at that stage. Are you involved in any way with the cause?
fedemart

Postby Onceler » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:56 am

Did you try the looking, Mystic?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Onceler » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:13 am

fedemart wrote:
Onceler wrote: Nice post, Fedemart. I think you capture Sherman's ideas well. They can be so simple they appear more complex than they are....or we make the act of looking at yourself more complex than it is. I suspect the first time you 'looked' it took, that's why you came back. My life has changed so much in the last 4 years it's stunning, yet despite the changes it feels ordinary and comfortable.

Yes I think 2 years ago it worked someway and I came back because of it. However this time I feel I did it better, or I am more aware of what is happening, with less obtrusive thoughts, because of the conscious/unconscious realization.

So I guess you must share JS view/vision/cause? He is actively asking for help in terms of volunteers and donations to make everyone do the looking. I guess that, like me, most people that try it want to first really feel like the fear of life is no more and be sure it was thanks to the looking before adhering to JS's cause. Seems you are at that stage. Are you involved in any way with the cause?

Yes, I'm active on the forum under the name of jackx. You can read my progression in exquisite detail there.....if you are inclined, or have nothing better to do. I give some money as well. I'm basically not a joiner, but I do believe in the changes that have happened to me and attribute much of it to the looking. I'm no longer anxious, and I had a severe anxiety disorder, and my chronic depression is on the wane. I tell many people about the looking and watch them change over time, it's kinda fun. The problem is that change is long term and often subtle, and you go through a rough patch called the recovery for a couple of years. It took over 4 years to have me believing in this method, but it's all good because folks change whether they believe or not. It's different from a spiritually based approach you'll find here and elsewhere. Actually, I've pretty much moved from a spiritual mindset.....and I was all about that since my 20s. Weird.

Currently I'm at the stage where I feel I'm coming out of my depression and a sort of numbing distance from my life and moving into a more intense relationship with life that many talk of after 4 or 5 years. It can be simultaneously difficult and exquisite. I Definitely feel alive and engaged.

There's a lot of good stuff on the forums and I would encourage you to explore there.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Mystic » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:56 am

Onceler wrote:Did you try the looking, Mystic?

Yes, I recognize his method as similar to something I have known for a long time. Truth is within.

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
― Blaise Pascal
Mystic

Postby fedemart » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:07 am

Ha! You're jackX! I'm fedemart as in here hehe

You are then aware about my discussion with John regarding the forum. I dislike the censorship for newcomers (i.e. before you become self moderated). Three posts I created were never published. John just a few minutes ago decided to publish my last critique to that policy and his response.

It's great this unofficial ET forum exists. I love how we can discuss everything we want to and I love to search older posts because they are so genuine. Anyways, I like JS ideas but this one about how to run the community I don't get it.
fedemart

PreviousNext

Return to Spiritual Teachers