Great talk by Adyashanti

I just love Adya and I think he deserves his own forum.

Great talk by Adyashanti

Postby Blenderhead » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:38 pm

I love this talk by Adyashanti, which adresses different levels of awakening. You can always go deeper, don't believe the job is done :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeSezeHLvY4

I have a sense that these different levels of awakening is related to the degree of awareness of the inner body. But listen to it yourself 8)
Blenderhead

Re: Great talk by Adyashanti

Postby randomguy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:43 pm

Thanks for posting the link. It's a good one. I love how Adya talks about the gut level awakening and the physical transformations associated with awakening, and well so many intricacies thereof.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby Ralph » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:00 am

Thank you Blenderhead for that great clip !

.. I really liked the last 5 minutes when he talks a little bit about Ramana 's awakening.
Ralph

Postby runstrails » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Great talk. Thanks a lot Blenderhead.
Here is another great clip of Adya talking about the purpose of life:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZnhuJL_ ... re=related
runstrails

Postby jeffro » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:01 pm

I just listened to the talk about different levels of awakening. I swear sometimes it feels like Adyashanti is narrating my life. It happens very often that whatever he is talking about in the clip I am listening to is exactly what I am currently experiencing in my journey. In this case, it was the "spiritual no man's land" or "spiritual limbo" that resonated deeply with me. I am definitely in this stage, where I am trying to reconcile awakening with the "manual" that I've been living by my whole life; a manual which now seems totally insane but I'm not sure how to live any other way.
jeffro

Postby rideforever » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Unimpressed with Adyashanti.

In the first clip he says that there are different types of awakenings that "feeeeeel" different. ... Is that it ? Is that the level of your insight ? "Feeeeeeel" ???? It's vague.

Then he says "you can always go further" ? What does that mean, do you or don't you ? Why, how, when ?

In the second clip he says "What if life is about XXX, or about XXX ?" ..... what does that mean - do you know or don't you ? Stop with this "what about" rubbish. Do you know or don't you ?

Seems like vague half-talk that is common for satsang-movement and American crowds fawning over him. Too quick to set up shop and become a "teacher".

He doesn't know the answers to those questions, but there are teachers who do. The answers I have heard are as follows :

Different Types of Awakenings
This occurs depending on which centres in the human body are completed (3rd eye, heart and hara are the main 3). If the heart only is completed you get a saint. If both the heart and 3rd eye are completed you get a "mystic". But there are other types. And places beyond completion of centres. And beyond that each soul has a different blueprint, a road laid out for him which is in some sense unique.

Always Going Further
Quite stupid from Adyashanti. In the beginning of the journey you sense you are going from 'state' to 'state'. However at some point you surrender into something like a 'black hole' where you live in ever deepening surrender. If he hasn't got to this stage then his Awakening is actually quite shallow no matter how genuine.

Purpose of Life
No expert on this but I have heard variously : (a) to release your karma, (b) fulfill your blueprint (same as a), (c) there is a cosmic purpose of transmuting the darkness and bringing truth and light into the world - see Gurdjieff / Christ.

> And now for some music :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lq34Ob7Gsg
Last edited by rideforever on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby treasuretheday » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:13 am

rideforever wrote:Unimpressed with Adyashanti.

Me too! And I'm a silly American, go figure! He just doesn't speak to me, connect with me. But I'm glad that others find inspiration and guidance through his presence & writings.

I get all misty-eyed watching those scratchy YouTube videos of Anthony De Mello talks from the 1970's. I imagine to many, he appears a boring, Jesuit geek. I think he's incredible, and incredibly impressive! He makes me laugh, he makes me cry, he touches my heart, he makes me think. To each their own! :)
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby Onceler » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:24 am

I like Adya, but I'm not that impressed for the opposite reason. I don't think he has simplified the process enough.....still too many words, still too complex, still too spiritual. Why deliniate the levels of enlightenment when most people are suffering and can't get to first base? I don't think we have time quibble over the finer points of something most people have no clue about. I favor the distilled message of John Sherman who has managed to take spirituality out of spirituality. What would consumer reports say about these guys? Who really delivers what they promise? How many people are seeing reality as a result of their teaching? I would like to know numbers.....data, not ontological ephemera.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby randomguy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:30 am

I get all misty-eyed watching those scratchy YouTube videos of Anthony De Mello talks from the 1970's. I imagine to many, he appears a boring, Jesuit geek.

De Mello is one of a kind. "Awareness" and "The Way to Love" are simply great books.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby Sighclone » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Adya is far from perfect. But his latest book, "The Way of Liberation," is a much tighter distillation of his teachings:

http://www.adyashanti.org/index.php?fil ... rod_id=533

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Onceler » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:33 pm

In keeping with the six word story (allegedly started by Hemingway: "Baby shoes for sale, never used.") I would like to challenge teachers to distill their message into six words. Maybe we should do this as personal human mission statements.....mine might be; looking at me removed the fear.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby suraj » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm not sure of Adyashanti's teachings either. I just loved his earlier book - Ëmptiness Dancing", but have a hard time completing his recent book - "Falling into grace". I have been unable to finish it since a year now. Each time I pick the book, I can't seem to go beyond a page. The words there just don't make sense.
Is this related to my own level of awareness or is related to at what level Adyashanti is?
I AM
suraj

Postby karmarider » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm with Onceler. Adya tends to over-mystify. But still, his "True Meditation" is good, and he clearly appeals to many.
karmarider

Postby treasuretheday » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:15 pm

Randomguy...nice to hear from another De Mello fan! The book Awareness is in my top 5 all-time favorites.:)

I like that six word story thingy, Onceler! Nifty. :)
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby jeffro » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:20 pm

treasuretheday wrote:
I get all misty-eyed watching those scratchy YouTube videos of Anthony De Mello talks from the 1970's. I imagine to many, he appears a boring, Jesuit geek. I think he's incredible, and incredibly impressive!

Man, am I glad you posted this. I had never heard of Anthony De Mello. I'm now on disc 3 of his "Awareness" talks. Probably the best teacher I've heard. So direct and clear. And funny!
jeffro

Next

Return to Adyashanti