Adyashanti

I just love Adya and I think he deserves his own forum.

Adyashanti

Postby kiki » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:57 pm

Another outstanding "pointer" to truth is Adyashanti. He has a connection to Gangaji. There are some audio files on his website:

http://www.adyashanti.org/

There is an excellent 6 CD compilation of one of his retreats as well called "Spontaneous Awakening":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/searc ... 72-5873443

He has many tapes available and some books too. He's one of the best I've come across.
kiki

Postby Forrest » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:58 pm

Adyashanti is awesome!!! I just came across his website by chance yesterday, and I think I listened to every audio clip in one sitting.

I have no doubt that dude is fully awake.
Forrest

Postby Egoicmidget » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:14 pm

Kiki I always listen when you speak, you are truly gifted as a teacher and I owe you priceless thanks to the way you are able to convey the essence of spirituality.

John

I sure will check these sites out.
Last edited by Egoicmidget on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Egoicmidget

Postby JedEye » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:59 pm

He spoke greatly about activism. how powerful or harmful it can be depending on state of conciousness.
no more words
JedEye

Postby JedEye » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:33 pm

He says something like - if anyone tells you what to do he doesn`t know about your true nature which knows. That means he doesn`t know himself or anything. Run away from this person quickly. (in some other words)

I love this sentence so much :D And my mind loves so much to tell what to do :lol:
no more words
JedEye

Postby be-lank » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:47 am

In speaking regularly with spiritual seekers, it dawned on me one day how addicted so many of them are to the power of charisma. They swap stories about how powerful this or that teacher is and compare experiences. They get a charge from it, many mistaking charisma for enlightenment. Charisma attracts at all levels: political, sexual, spiritual, etc., and it feeds the ego's desire to feel special. The ego loves getting hits of power - it's like a form of spiritual candy. The candy may be sweet but can you live on it? Does it make you free? Freedom is not necessarily exciting; it's just free. Very peaceful and quiet, so very quiet. Of course, it is also filled with joy and wonder, but it is not what you imagine. It is much, much less. Many mistake the intoxicating power of otherworldly charisma for enlightenment. More often than not it is simply otherworldly, and not necessarily free or enlightened.

In order to be truly free, you must desire to know the truth more than you want to feel good. Because, if feeling good is your goal, then as soon as you feel better you will lose interest in what is true. This does not mean that feeling good or experiencing love and bliss is a bad thing. Given the choice, anyone would choose to feel bliss rather than sorrow. It simply means that if this desire to feel good is stronger than the yearning to see, know, and experience Truth, then this desire will always be distorting the perception of what is Real, while corrupting one's deepest integrity. In my experience, everyone will say they want to discover the Truth, right up until they realize that the Truth will rob them of their deepest held ideas, beliefs, hopes, and dreams. The freedom of enlightenment means much more than the experience of love and peace. It means discovering a Truth that will turn your view of self and life upside-down. For one who is truly ready, this will be unimaginably liberating. But for one who is still clinging in any way, this will be extremely challenging indeed. How does one know if they are ready? One is ready when they are willing to be absolutely consumed, when they are willing to be fuel for a fire without end.
be-lank

Postby dancer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:45 am

Freedom is not necessarily exciting; it's just free. Very peaceful and quiet, so very quiet. Of course, it is also filled with joy and wonder, but it is not what you imagine.

What freedom really is. (by Adyashanti)

But this myth that I can rest in this assuredness that I will never again feel insecure, feel fear or feel doubt or feel those emotions that we don't want to feel. If I'm truly enlightened I will never feel these emotions. Forget it, that's not it. This is the opiate that is sold to the masses and they eat it up and never get there and they end up disillusioned. That's not how it works.

Freedom is never freedom from, if freedom is freedom from anything it's not freedom at all.

It's freedom to.

Are you free enough to be afraid. Are you free enough to feel insecure. Are you free enough not to know. Are you free enough to know that you can't know. Are you free enough to be totally comfortable knowing that you can't know what's around the next corner. How you will feel about it. How you will respond to it. That you literally can't know. Are you free enough to be totally at ease and in comfort with the way things actually are. That's freedom.

The other thing is the ego's idea of freedom.
:)
dancer

Postby phil » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:27 pm

Everybody, thank you for this introduction to this teacher.

There's a "let's cut the bull" quality to his writing that connects here. I plan to investigate further.

I apologize for what is a bit of a detour from these specific teachings, to teaching itself. One of my lifelong mind merry-go-rounds, as I guess you know.

I've heard of this fellow for years I think. I've seen his books in bookstores etc.

After reading a few paragraphs above, I see I've been missing out on somebody interesting. But I never investigated before. Why?

The home page of his site may explain it:

There's not a thing in the world wrong with it.

But the ethereal new agish aethetic, the name itself, just doesn't ring this bell. It's a branding problem I guess, too many lame past associations left over from 30 years traveling the wacky wilds of the new age world.

I wonder sometimes if these teachers might receive a much wider audience if they tuned their public images to where most of the public is, just a bit more.

I suppose in the full scheme of things this is a mundane observation.

Or are the mechanics of how these teachings are packaged and delivered almost as important as the teachings themselves?

As example, without the mundane mechanics of web serving, I would likely never had the opportunity to receive your pointers to this fellow.

If we don't learn about a teaching, in a manner we can access, as far as we personally are concerned, the teaching doesn't exist. Thus the package, and the package contents, seem married to one another.

The holistic mechanics of how useful teachings move through a population seems to be a genetic level interest here. I don't seem to have a choice in the matter.

I know I'm supposed to focus on the big deep points of the teachings themselves, and I don't disagree with that, but some little zen master part of my brain insists on helping the UPS guy unload boxes of spiritual books out of the back of the truck instead.
phil

Postby dancer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:25 pm

But the ethereal new agish aethetic, the name itself, just doesn't ring this bell. It's a branding problem I guess, too many lame past associations left over from 30 years traveling the wacky wilds of the new age world.

I wonder sometimes if these teachers might receive a much wider audience if they tuned their public images to where most of the public is, just a bit more.

I suppose in the full scheme of things this is a mundane observation.

Or are the mechanics of how these teachings are packaged and delivered almost as important as the teachings themselves?

As example, without the mundane mechanics of web serving, I would likely never had the opportunity to receive your pointers to this fellow.

If we don't learn about a teaching, in a manner we can access, as far as we personally are concerned, the teaching doesn't exist. Thus the package, and the package contents, seem married to one another.

The holistic mechanics of how useful teachings move through a population seems to be a genetic level interest here. I don't seem to have a choice in the matter.

I know I'm supposed to focus on the big deep points of the teachings themselves, and I don't disagree with that, but some little zen master part of my brain insists on helping the UPS guy unload boxes of spiritual books out of the back of the truck instead.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

(remember this is a pointer so don't shoot me!)

(ok, ok, I admit I really liked saying that to you, so shoot me!)

I've heard of this fellow for years I think. I've seen his books in bookstores etc.

After reading a few paragraphs above, I see I've been missing out on somebody interesting. But I never investigated before. Why?

The home page of his site may explain it:

What's the matter Phil, are ya a prude?

Not into orgies are we?
dancer

Postby phil » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:19 pm

dancer wrote:Blah, blah, blah, blah. (remember this is a pointer so don't shoot me!)

Nah, ain't gonna shoot you. You've won me over dancer. We be cool.

This isn't shooting, just wondering. Why is it always "blah, blah, blah" when somebody else makes a long comment, but not when dancer offers the full details of whatever interests him?

Not offended, really. Just puzzled.

Now, if Summer (hi Summer!) were to "blah, blah, blah" my post I'd get it, cause Summer is a quiet gentle poster, and it would make sense if she pointed to my noise. Notice how she doesn't have a need to arm wrestle with anybody, especially on the same point repeatedly.

Notice how you and me aren't like Summer. :-)

We have opinions! Big ones! We like to make points! Especially if they pop somebody else's points! We like to drive it home over and over in case anybody missed it the first 327 times.

And words, thoughts, bought'em wholesale in bulk, unloading them at cost, you and me both. :-)

I'll say the same thing to you I always say to my good buddy Be-lankster.

You and I are twins, pretending we're completely different people. :-)

That's the worst insult I can come up with for now.

I called you a Phil. Kablam! Take that Dancer! :-)
phil

Postby summer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:50 pm

Hi there, Phil :)
Your comments about "the package" that a teacher comes in, reminded of an interview that I once heard of Gangaji. She was speaking about her first encounter with Papaji, and all of her resistance. Although she had been on her spiritual journey for about 20 years she was never drawn to India and Gurus. She didn't like the devotee part of it. And she didn't like the way they all have these fancy sounding Indian names. So much so, that when her husband went to India to meet Papaji, she stayed home.

Yet, when she listened to her husband speaking on the phome, she noticed something very, very, different in his voice. After about a month, she was so curious that she decided to go to India and meet this guru. :lol: On her first visit, Papaji asked her about her meditation and spiritual practices. She described all of her various practices, while Papaji quietly listened.

After, a long silence, he tells her "I want you to stop all of your meditaions and spiritual practices"
She is thinking "What???? A spiritual teacher is telling me to stop my spiritual practices?????

Well, you have probably heard the rest of her story.
And one day, while walking by the Ganges river with Papaji, he gently tells her that he wants her to take on a new name now.
Yep. Gangaji! :lol:
summer

Postby be-lank » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:36 pm

You and I are twins, pretending we're completely different people.

Wouldn't that make us Triplets? :o
be-lank

Postby dancer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:50 pm

Why is freedom experienced this way?

Perhaps because, even when you are enlightened, the screen of mind is still present.

What is the screen of mind?

Ramana says:

"This is, in a way, like the working of a cinema as shown in the accompanying chart.
Just as the pictures appear on the screen as long as the film throws shadows through the lens, so the phenomenal world will continue to appear to the individual in the waking and dream states as long as there are latent mental impressions.
Just as the lens magnifies the tiny specks on the film to a huge size and as a number of pictures are shown in a second, so the mind enlarges the sproutlike tendencies into treelike thoughts and shows in a second innumerable worlds.
Again, just as there is only the light of the lamp visible when when there is no film, so the Self alone shines without the triple factors when the mental concepts in the form of tendencies are absent in the states of deep sleep, swoon, and samadhi.
Just as the lamp illuminates the lens, etc., while remaining unaffected , the Self illumines the ego, etc., while remaining unaffected.

Chart
(Compare cinema show to the Self)
(I can't reproduce side by side so it will be one on top of the other, compare a) to a), b) to b), etc...)

Cinema show
a) The lamp inside (the apparatus)

b) The lens in front of the lamp

c) The film, which is a long series of separate photos

d) The lens, the light passing through it, and the lamp, which together form the focused light

e) The light passing through the lens and falling on the screen

f) The various kinds of pictures appearing in the light of the screen

g) The mechanism which sets the film in motion

Self
a) The Self

b) The pure (sattvic) mind close to the Self

c) The stream of latent tendencies consisting of subtle thoughts

d) The mind, the illumination of it, and the Self, which together form the seer (the little me)

e) The light of the Self emerging from the mind through the senses and falling on the world

f) The various forms and names appearing as the objects perceived in the light of the world (this would include all fears, insecurities, desires, sensations etc...)

g) The divine law manifesting the latent tendencies of the mind

So, essentially enlightenment is being aware of this mechanism at work. That you are actually the awareness illuminating the mind which is thought and then projects it outward onto the world which is just thought projected by the mind.

So that's why you don't get away from the fears and insecurities and desires of the ego. Because this ego/mind or the screen of mind is the nature of phenomenal existence and as long as we exist in it, (don't undergo physical death) then we are subject to its laws and limitations.

But once we know ourselves to be the light of the apparatus which remains unaffected by the images on the screen, then we see truly see that we are awareness or the Self which illumines the mind but remains unaffected by the forms projected out into the world.
dancer

Postby dancer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:36 pm

Hey Philly boy,

How'r ya doin'?

"Nah, ain't gonna shoot you. You've won me over dancer. We be cool"

I'm sorry Philly boy but I don't believe you. You want me to believe you exist and that there is someone to "win over", well ok, then , if you insist, let's dance! Hey great I won you over, I'm jumping for joy!

"This isn't shooting, just wondering. Why is it always "blah, blah, blah" when somebody else makes a long comment, but not when dancer offers the full details of whatever interests him?"

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you should not believe a word that I say. So the blah, blah, blah, blah that I've said to you applies equally as well if not more to me. So there, how's that for shootin' myself in the foot eh?

"Not offended, really. Just puzzled"

Puzzled, as in the mind going blank? As in "not knowing"? This is good, this is huge. Keep it up, you're on the right track, unless of course you've already been there and done that!

"Now, if Summer (hi Summer!) were to "blah, blah, blah" my post I'd get it, cause Summer is a quiet gentle poster, and it would make sense if she pointed to my noise. Notice how she doesn't have a need to arm wrestle with anybody, especially on the same point repeatedly."

Well, Summer is a slightly different story , yes she's quiet and quite aware, but she also blah's just like you and me. But she only rates one blah, we both rate four blah's because we're both loud and in your face kind of guys.

"We have opinions! Big ones! We like to make points! Especially if they pop somebody else's points! We like to drive it home over and over in case anybody missed it the first 327 times."

I don't hold opinions so much anymore. Now, more than ever, I just allow truth to flow through me, it's not my truth, it's just truth. But that doesn't mean I'm not out here posting like a mad fiend just like you!

You and I are twins, pretending we're completely different people"

If you know this as an inner knowing and not just a thought, then welcome home Phil!

That's the worst insult I can come up with for now.
I called you a Phil. Kablam! Take that Dancer!"

Thanks for the dance Phil. Do se do.
dancer

Postby Clare » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:33 pm

dancer wrote:I don't hold opinions so much anymore. Now, more than ever, I just allow truth to flow through me, it's not my truth, it's just truth.

Oh, fer goodness sake, Dancer, get over yourself. :roll:
It's like when born again christians say "This is not my word, it's the word of God." Be careful with spiritual megalomania in whichever package it comes in, okay?

Oh - and that's a pointer. No offence meant.

Clare
"The day is full of birds.
Sounds like they're saying words."

Kate Bush - "Aerial"
Clare

Next

Return to Adyashanti