Adyashanti

I just love Adya and I think he deserves his own forum.

Postby chaz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:46 pm

It all seems like blah blah blah to me..... :twisted:
Chaz
chaz

Postby dancer » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:51 pm

dancer wrote:
I don't hold opinions so much anymore. Now, more than ever, I just allow truth to flow through me, it's not my truth, it's just truth.

Oh, fer goodness sake, Dancer, get over yourself.
It's like when born again christians say "This is not my word, it's the word of God." Be careful with spiritual megalomania in whichever package it comes in, okay?

ET: "You can't take the truth home with you. You are the truth."
:)
dancer

Postby Clare » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:48 pm

Oh, Okay, It's in "The Bible".
"The day is full of birds.
Sounds like they're saying words."

Kate Bush - "Aerial"
Clare

Postby summer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:07 am

The Courage to Question

Spiritual seekers are some of the most superstitious people on the planet. Most people come to spiritual teachers and teachings with a host of hidden beliefs, ideas, and assumptions that they unconsciously seek to be confirmed. And if they are willing to question these beliefs they almost always replace the old concepts with new more spiritual ones thinking that these new concepts are far more real than the old ones. Even those who have had deep spiritual experiences and awakenings beyond the mind will in most cases continue to cling to superstitious ideas and beliefs in an unconscious effort to grasp for the security of the known, the accepted, or the expected. It is this grasping for security in all its inward and outward forms which limit the perspective of enlightenment and maintain an inwardly divided condition which is the cause of all suffering and confusion. You must want to know the truth more than you want to feel secure in order to fully awaken to the fact that you are nothing but Awakeness itself.

Shortly after I began teaching I noticed that almost everyone coming to see me held a tremendous number of superstitious ideas and beliefs that were distorting their perceptions and limiting their scope of spiritual inquiry. What was most surprising was that in almost all cases, even those who had deep and profound experiences of spiritual awakening continued to hold onto superstitious ideas and beliefs which severally limited the depth of experience and expression of true awakening. Over time I began to see how delicate and challenging it was for most seekers to find the courage to question any and all ideas and beliefs about the true nature of themselves, the world, others, and even enlightenment itself. In almost every person, every religion, every group, every teaching and every teacher; there are ideas, beliefs, and assumptions, that are overtly or covertly not open to question. Often these unquestioned beliefs hide superstitions which are protecting something which is untrue, contradictory, or being used as justification for behavior which is a less than enlightened. The challenge of enlightenment is not simply to glimpse the awakened conditioned, nor even to continually experience it, but to be and express it as your self in the way you move in this world. In order to do this you must come out of hiding behind any superstitious beliefs and find the courage to question everything, otherwise you will continue to hold onto superstitions which distort your perception and expression of that which is only ever AWAKE.

~ Adyashanti
Copyright ©1999 by Adyashanti. All rights reserved.

http://www.adyashanti.org
summer

Postby dancer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 pm

The challenge of enlightenment is not simply to glimpse the awakened conditioned, nor even to continually experience it, but to be and express it as your self in the way you move in this world.
dancer

Postby summer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:39 am

How You Treat Others

Spiritual people often want unconditional support and understanding from their friends, family, and mates, but all too often seem blind to their own short commings when it comes to the amount of unconditional support and understanding that they give to others. I have seen many spiritual people become obsessed with how unspiritual others are and assume an arrogant and superior attitude while completely missing the fact that they themselves are not nearly as spiritually enlightened as they would like to think that they are. Enlightenment can be measured by how compassionately and wisely you interact with others; with all others, not just those who support you in the way that you want. How you interact with those who do not support you shows how enlightened you really are.

As long as you perceive that anyone is holding you back you have not taken full responsibility for your own liberation. Liberation means that you stand free of making demands on others and life to make you happy. When you discover yourself to be nothing but Freedom, you stop setting up conditions and requirements that need to be satisfied in order for you to be happy. It is in the absolute surrender of all conditions and requirements that Liberation is discovered to be who and what you Are. Then the love and wisdom that flows out of you has a liberating effect on others.

The biggest challenge for most spiritual seekers is to surrender their self importance, and see the emptiness of their own personal story. It is your personal story that you need to awaken from in order to be free. To give up being either ignorant or enlightened is the mark of liberation and allows you to treat others as your Self. What I am describing is the birth of true Love.

~ Adyashanti
Copyright ©1998 by Adyashanti. All rights reserved.

http://www.adyashanti.org
summer

Postby dancer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:26 am

The biggest challenge for most spiritual seekers is to surrender their self importance, and see the emptiness of their own personal story.

Hi summer,

These are really great pointers, thanks!

Keep'em comin'!

I found one from Adyashanti myself, that I need badly.

The biggest barrier spiritual seekers face is being certain that they have the truth while others do not.
dancer

Postby summer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:45 pm

Hi there, Dancer,
This one really caught my attention.
Enlightenment can be measured by how compassionately and wisely you interact with others; with all others, not just those who support you in the way that you want. How you interact with those who do not support you shows how enlightened you really are.

Hmmmmm.......not too sure that I handle myself very gracefully in these situations.
summer

Postby dancer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:09 pm

Hi there, Dancer,
This one really caught my attention.
Quote:
Enlightenment can be measured by how compassionately and wisely you interact with others; with all others, not just those who support you in the way that you want. How you interact with those who do not support you shows how enlightened you really are.

Hmmmmm.......not too sure that I handle myself very gracefully in these situations.

If this is meant as a pointer, you have no idea how right on you are. Wait till you read my latest post called "shift".

You're a true mirror!!!
dancer

Postby dancer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:36 am

Spiritual Addiction by Adyashanti

So this puts the spiritual seeker, if it's still there in a bit of a dilemma. If it starts to contemplate what this means that everything is One, because when it hears that, the seeker, the "me" starts looking for an experience of Oneness. Right? And then it reads the book and reads about the experience of Oneness, the merging with This, and losing myself in the treebark (laughter), do you know what I mean? All that stuff.

And so the "me" starts hunting in it's emotional experience to find That. You see what I mean? And if it's had that kind of experience then it kinda says, well at least I know it's possible, you know what I mean? You know I had that, I merged with a cloud in 1975 (laughter). So that's what the "me" does, it starts to look for an experience to tell it that everything is One. WHEN THERE'S A REAL DEEP KNOWING THAT EVERYTHING IS ONE, THEN THAT MOVEMENT CEASES. Do you get it , cause everything is One. so that means THERE'S NO NEED TO MOVE TO A DIFFERENT EXPERIENTIAL STATE THAN YOUR BODY/MIND IS IN AT THAT MOMENT, BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS "IT". So it cuts off movement, it cuts off seeking, it cuts off seeker, it cuts everything off all at once, cause "This" is It. AND THE "ME" WILL ALWAYS SAY, THIS CAN'T BE IT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T FEEL RIGHT. IT DOESN'T HAVE THE RIGHT FEELING STATE, you know what I mean?

So there's a real distinction between, ah, you REALLY getting that everything is One, oh, everything is One! And everything is One is different from the experience of merging with something. Do you get it? Because if everything is One, then every experience is That, is the highest truth, is the highest dharma. Every experience is the highest dharma. And there's no need to go somewhere to find it. That's what everything is One really means, the other just an experience of merging which is very pleasant and very beautiful and you may or may not ever have it. And if you have a particular type of body/mind, you might have it every 5 minutes. If you have another body/mind you might have it once every 5 lifetimes. That particular experience, whether that happens or not and the frequency with which it happens means nothing. Cause I've met many people who can merge at the drop of a hat. You know what I mean? And they're as free as a dog chasing it's tail in a 4x4 cage. But they can induce an experience of merging anytime they want. So this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being free. Or actually having any idea of what Oneness really is.

Oneness simply means that everything is the One. Everything is That. Everything always was That, every experience you ever have is the One, every experience you ever had is the One, every experience that you ever will have is the One. Whether that experience was an experience of merging or having to go to the bathroom. (laughter) It was all God. Or whether it's beating a stick on the floor (noise of a stick hitting the floor), saying this is It. This is the Buddha, this is It. This is enlightened mind, it doesn't get more enlightened than this. See what I mean?

And this realization often starts to dawn when THE "ME" WHICH WAS SO CERTAIN THAT IT HAD TO DO WITH WHERE THE PENDULUM OF EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE HAPPENED TO BE. WHEN THAT IS SEEN TO BE, AH, LIMITING! VERY VERY LIMITING! VERY VERY CONFINING, YOU KNOW? It actually made you and makes you into a spiritual junkie. Have you ever felt like a spiritual junkie? You know, another "hit", you know.
dancer

Postby summer » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:44 am

Hi there, Dancer,
you lost me in this post.

Should "Spiritual Addiction by Adyashanti " link to an article by him?
summer

Postby summer » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:34 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt from the book "Emptiness Dancing", by Adyashanti.

Quote:

When we talk about seeking Enlightenment, which is about the most abused word in the Spiritual dictionary, what we are really seeking is the answer to, "What is the Truth?" That question is an entirely different orientation than, "How can I get that experience?" and "How can I sustain it?" Asking, "What is the Truth?" is a demolition project. Most of Spirituality is a construction project. We're ascending and ascending, consciousness is ascending. It just keeps building, and a person feels, "I'm getting better and better."

But Enlightenment is a demolition project. It simply shows you that everything you ever believed was true isn't. Everything you take yourself to be, whatever your self image is-god, bad, or indifferent-you're not that. Whoever you think others are-good, bad, or indifferent-is not true. Whatever you think about God is wrong. You cannot have a true thought about God, so all of your thoughts about God tell you precisely and exactly what it's not.

Do you get the flavour of it? it's a removal project. What does it remove? Everything. And unless it's a removal of everything, it's not ultimately liberating. If there is one thing or a single viewpoint that hasn't been removed, then liberation hasn't happened yet.

In the lives of most human beings, everything is about an avoidance of truth. The truth that we are avoiding is the truth of emptiness. We don't want to see that we are nothing. We don't want to see that everything we believe is wrong. We don't want to see that what everybody else believes is wrong. We don't want to see that our viewpoint is wrong and that there is no right viewpoint. We don't want to see that everything we think about God is what God is not. We don't want to see what the Bhudda meant when he said there is no self.

We would rather quickly insert a positive statement. So instead of seeing that there is no self and that everything the mind holds as true is ultimately empty, our minds will quickly insert something positive like, "I am consciousness," or "All is bliss," or "God is Love." We do not want to see that there is a gaping void at the centre of our existence.
summer

enlightenment?

Postby LightLizard » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:07 am

Recently, I have been pondering the notion of 'enlightenment', and how it seems to have become the 'new judgement day' for many who were raised or influenced though their younger years by the Judeo-Christian philosophy. The idea of waiting for 'the Saviour' to arrive on a day in the future to redeem and bring the Final Chapter to Humanity has been the focus of many a wasted mind.

So many have missed the reality of the meaning behind ancient scripture, taking the teachings literally, when the intention was originally a metaphoric and psychological approach to explaining and laying out the process of Awakening for each and every one of us that seek such.

Now, with the 'New Buddhism' so popular in the world, so many have just substituted and replaced the old and erroneous concept of 'Judgement Day' with 'Enlightenment.' As if all one must do is think the correct thought and *BOOM* - Instant 'Enlightenment' will arrive. We will suddenly and completely know Everything, and All the Mysteries will be Revealed, at last, as we join the Buddha and all the Deities in a Cosmic Dance of the Ages. Another Myth is born, or should we say, 'still-born'?

The reality is, we cannot attain 'enlightenment' through, or by thinking. It is a state that is beyond thought and reason. A large part of the difficulty is that we believe that thinking is a conscious act of some kind. Partially, it is. And, for some, very few, it is a conscious act mostly. But, the majority of we humans have developed patterns of thought, deep foundational principles of thinking, that we apply without consideration, whenever a thought arises.

Until we have addressed the nature, the foundation of our thought processes, our 'thought patterns', we will use the conscious aspect of our minds habitually and our thoughts will be subject to the unconscious patterns of thinking we have grown accustomed to.

If we have low self esteem, for instance, or live with fear buried deeply; our thoughts will be flavoured with these burdens and we will try to resolve our 'issues' as each thought is born on the surface.
Something to meditate on, perhaps.
love
LL
~May your day flow from the Rainbow
of your soul and bathe your heart in
all the colors of joy!~

*Love*Light*Joy*Trust*Gratitude*Eternally*

~LightLizard~
LightLizard

zip

Postby LightLizard » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:32 pm

Well, just call me the 'thread-killer'- :lol:
stay in your mind', if you wish, folks.
goodbye.
live in love
LL :wink:
~May your day flow from the Rainbow
of your soul and bathe your heart in
all the colors of joy!~

*Love*Light*Joy*Trust*Gratitude*Eternally*

~LightLizard~
LightLizard

Postby dancer » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:03 pm

The Ground of Embodiment

I talked quite a few times about um... a big part of embodiment is starting to see that this nobodyness, this nobodyness, where there's no identity and there's no past, there's no memory there. There's no childhood, there's no adulthood, there's no tomorrow, there. No birth, no life, no death, there. There's only "there" there. That's all that's there is there.

Now this may not be special, but it's sublime, it's sublime. And it's this sublimeness that's at the heart of existence itself. It's this beauty that's at the heart of existence, that is in love with the humanness.

And I know I've talked about this before, but it's so important to see that this transcendence is in love with it's humanness. When we're human, when we are stuck in our humanness, in our appearance, we have a yearning, a transpersonal yearning, for transcendence, for nobodyness. The more you experience that nobodyness, if we're really experiencing it and it's not too tainted with wanting to be somebody, we see that the nobodyness, the transcendence is in love with the somebodyness, with the humanness.

But to see that we have to move beyond the place where we simply want to hide in the nobodyness, where we simply want to transcend into the ether. We have to see, we have to get beyond that desire too. That desire to leave, to hide, do you know what I mean?

It's important to experience leaving, leaving your somebodyness, it's very important to experience not being somebody, that Presence, that wonderful beautiful nobodyness. That clear light.

But I think as human beings, this human experience is not a mistake and this clear light, this beingness is in love with this manifestation, with it's humanness. This is what embodiment is all about.

If we can't see, can't experience in yourself, not in your head because I say it, not here. This doesn't count does it? Up here (in the head) you'll either believe me or you won't believe me. Who cares huh? (laughter) Big deal! If ya believe me it doesn't get ya anything and if ya don't believe me it still doesn't get ya anything. But ya go , ya go hopefully to where we're still at. We're still sitting in that same place we we're at ten minutes ago in meditation. Go there, you check for yourself. See for yourself, is this nobodyness in love with it's appearance? Is this human experience a cosmic mistake to be gotten rid of as fast as possible? Check and see!!! It's important to check and see! It's very important to check and see.

It doesn't want to be lost in being somebody, it doesn't want to be lost in the humanness, does it? In the appearance. It has no love for being lost. My God, no love for being lost. No desire to be lost, lost in it. Identified with.

But this is very different. This human appearance is the appearance through which that Presence dances. This is the appearance through which It wants to dance. Right? Those are the people that all spiritual people admire, right? Is those, through, through their human incarnation that That dances. There's lots of realizers, there not nearly as many dancers as there are realizers. Lots of people have realized Presence, have awoken as That.

Lots of people and it's beautiful and sublime but much fewer of them have that awakeness dancing, really dancing as their own human self. As the appearance of being a human being.

And this is what embodiment is, maybe we should call it dancing. (laughter)

Instead of embodiment. I don't know, maybe we'll find a better word. I've heard it being used out there at other places and it puts a shiver through my spine because I go "Oh God" the word is already going to become corrupt. It probably already is, isn't it? The nature of any word, I suppose, is to become corrupt. That's a good thing probably.

But I want to continue to emphasize that this nobodyness that I refer to, this is the absolute. No life, no birth, no death. no body, no past, no tomorrow. In your experience, I can spit these words out, but you go back here, you go back to yourself, go back there and check and see if what I say is true, don't trust me.

That true face, the true face before you were born, your true face before your parents were born, what did that face look like? That face. That face that wears this mask. That face. The face that wears this mask. It's from this place, this true Self, it's only from this place where there are no ideas and no concepts at all, thankfully, it's only from this place that the human existence can start to make sense. Can start to dance because there's a true objectivity with your humanness.

There's a true objectivity there. Not a cold objectivity, but a loving objectivity.

Do you know what loving objectivity... can you feel that? Right? You feel that.

You know when you think you love somebody, when you THINK you love somebody, and they are doing something, say, that's causing them harm, you think, you're thinking that you love them. You reach out to try and make them feel better. When you THINK you love them. And they're doing something that's harming themselves, you reach out to try and make them feel better.

No objectivity!

When you really love somebody and they're harming themselves, you reach out in a different way don't you. Your first impetus is not simply to make them feel better.

Why? Because you love.

There's an objectivity.

Because from that objective place you want them to see and be free.

You want them to be free more than you want them to feel good.

This is the kind of objectivity that I'm talking about.

Is infused with a real love, a REAL love.

A REAL love.
dancer

PreviousNext

Return to Adyashanti