Jed McKenna is Adyashanti?

I just love Adya and I think he deserves his own forum.

Jed McKenna is Adyashanti?

Postby erict » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:14 pm

Jed:

"Enlightenment is a strict pursuit," I continue. "It's about truth, and anything that's not about getting to the truth must be discarded. Truth isn't about knowing things-you already know too much-it's about unknowing."

~@~

It's a process of discrimination, of unknowing what is untrue, of progressively stripping away the false, culminating in a state devoid of a false self and leaving only what is true.

~@~

Students, naturally, think it's important to understand, think it's important that their information be correct, think that this is like school where you have to understand this thing before you can understand the next thing, but that's knowing and this is unknowing.

Adya:

In the land of division, there is always something to know. But in enlightenment there isn't anything to know. Enlightenment is actually a process of unknowing. When you unknown everything in the mind, there is nothing left but Truth.
Last edited by erict on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:24 pm

Jed:

Write down what you think is true, or what you know is true, whatever. Just keep trying until you've written something true. Or, start by using Ramana Maharshi's query, Who am I? or What is me?

Adya:

When you come to satsang to have association with Truth, you are willing to ask, "Who am I?" or "What am I?"
Last edited by erict on Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:33 pm

Jed:

During enlightenment you realize the human being you thought you were is just a character in a play, and that the world you thought you were in is just a stage, so you go through a process of deconstructing your character to see what's left when it's gone. The result isn't enlightened-self, it's no-self.

Adya:

Mysteriously and paradoxically, the more identity deconstructs itself, the more alive and present we feel.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:54 pm

Jed:

At the very heart of this confusion lies the belief that abiding non-dual awareness --- enlightenment --- and the non-abiding experience of cosmic consciousness ---mystic union--- are synonymous when, in fact, they're hardly related.

~@~

However, the simple fact remains that enlightenment and mysticism have little or nothing in common.

Adya:

Even when I experience having merged with the absolute, with the infinite, with God, it simply means that my fictitious self has merged with another fiction. Mystical experiences aren't enlightenment.

~@~

For some reason, and I take absolutely no credit for this whatsoever, while I sat and faced the wall for fifteen years as a Zen student, various experiences occurred. These events included mind-blasting kundalini experiences, mystical union, bliss, and being flooded with divine light and love.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:13 pm

Jed:

If, however, your interest is in awakening to your true nature, then you're in the wrong place and you've got a very messy fight ahead and there's no point in pretending otherwise.

~@~

"Oh, yeah, sure. You can't manage to avoid your own true nature forever. It's a wonder that anyone manages it at all."

~@~

Success in realizing one's true nature is absolutely assured because... well, because it's one's true nature. The greatest wonder isn't that you'll make it back, it's that you made it away.

Adya:

You are the way, and the way moves, totally dedicated to revealing itself. It will awaken you to your true nature. Sitting in silence, one needs to do nothing, but rather to allow the natural awakeness to arise.

~@~

Awakening is the end of seeking, the end of the seeker, but it is the beginning of a life lived from your true nature.

~@~

Truth is about just remembering, recognizing, or realizing your true nature.

~@~

Spirit and matter are not two different things, they are two aspects of the One. This is the realization of our true nature.

~@~

These are not ideals I speak about, not goals or potentials. This openness is actually the core of who everybody is. Stop waiting to let go of everything, and then your true nature is realized. When it is realized, then live it. When the living of it happens, life happens spontaneously.

~@~

Of course, most people are going to need a profound realization of their true nature in order to be able to surrender naturally and spontaneously. But it completes itself with a blind and unpredictable release of control.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Adyashanti / Jed McKenna: Common Themes

Postby erict » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:25 pm

1. Releasing Control

Jed:

I've watched much smarter people than myself, much braver people than myself, smash their ships fatally on the rocks because they were too full of themselves to release control.

~@~

Basically, the act of faith in something other than self allows you to release the rudder. Whatever the reason for doing it, whatever name you give to the new steering agent or agency, it's going to be a very positive change because it's going to be the infinite and unerring intelligence of the universe that takes over."

~@~

"Right. This is the point of distinction and the root teaching of all major religions. Christians say, `Not mine, but thy will be done.' Hindus say, `Brahma is the charioteer.' Muslims say, `It is the will of Allah.' It's all the same thing. Fear and ego-in other words, ignorance-are keeping your hand on the rudder. Release it for whatever reason, and the steering takes care of itself."

Adya:

What if you let go of every bit of control and every urge that you have, right down to the most infinitesimal urge to control anything, anywhere, including anything that may be happening with you at this moment? Imagine that you were able to completely and absolutely give up control on every level. If you were able to give up control absolutely, totally, and completely, then you would be a spiritually free being.

~@~

In a very simplistic way, the difference between those people who have had deep and profound spiritual awakenings to their true nature and those who are actually liberated and free is this very simple matter: those who are liberated and free have totally and absolutely let go of control. This is true because, if you let go of control, then you cannot help but be liberated and free. It's like jumping off a building. You can't help but go down; gravity pulls you that way. If you totally let go of control, you end up in complete self-realization.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Jed:

Possessing the ability not to see truth... now that's the most amazing thing I've ever seen. In fact, I would never even believe it was possible if I hadn't done it myself for thirty years.

Adya:

Every single piece of evidence, until you go into your mind, points out the truth that everything exists within us. And it's amazing we ever get it screwed up. It's absolutely amazing. If I hadn't done it, I wouldn't have thought it was possible. -- (Being Alone, 38:00)
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:09 pm

Jed:

I watch myself being wisdom-guy and I'm amazed that anyone really falls for it. I can't believe that this stuff isn't obvious to everybody.

~@~

That gets a little laugh. The mood is loosening up a bit. Mad, iconoclastic, nihilistic heresy guy is gone and funny, mellow, wisdom guy is back.

Adya:

"I don't want to be in the role of `wisdom guy' all the time. . . . I mean, who wants to sit around talking about the Truth for any longer than is absolutely necessary?" (A Rare and Precious Thing - John Kain)

~@~

Right now I am teachering. I am playing a role. I'm playing teacher wisdom-guy. (Adyashanti - The Initial Awakening, f-5 => 32:15)
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Re: Jed McKenna is Adyashanti?

Postby erict » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:38 pm

These are just some of the things that I noticed, there were many, many more. The one that removed whatever little doubt I still had was one of the tracks in Spontaneous Awakening, where Adya mentions that he likes to write fiction and reads a short story. The story is in typical Jed McKenna style.

Here are the three Jed McKenna books: http://astore.amazon.com/enlightenment_ ... F8&node=11

The first is an absolute must-read. I hope there will be more.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby Sighclone » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:51 pm

I'm convinced...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby karmarider » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:24 pm

It's very plausible, and thanks for your research.

Both Adyashanti and Jed go after the obstacle of clinging to concepts and spirituality. Adyashanti is affable and more in line with what spiritual people expect in a spiritual teacher, and Jed of course goes right to the issue, ruthlessly and rudely and effectively.
karmarider

Postby erict » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:05 am

Here's another one. This one really made me laugh and feel like if this isn't the ultimate proof, I don't know what is... :D

In Retreat Talks Vol. 3 Adya talks about manifestation and he gives the example that he uses it to create good parking spaces. He also mentions this in a youtube video about 'The Secret' as well. I'm not sure which DVD it is from.

Yesterday I was reading Spiritual Warfare, the third Jed McKenna book, and here's a quote from a chapter dealing with manifestation:

"When people begin, if they begin, they begin by manifesting small, simple things; good parking spaces and luck with green lights, for example."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby heidi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:36 pm

I always thought they were the same guy. There's a nuts and bolts style that is clearly the same with both.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby samadhi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:36 am

i've just finished reading the first Jed book and was also pretty sure it's Adyashanti - the teachings and the style of writing are almost identical (Adya really let it slip when he read a short story he'd written in the Spontaneous Awakening series - it's TOTALLY the same style as this, including the same style of humour and expression). He uses some phrases, expressions and analogies I've only ever heard Adya say (example - rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. Or maybe Adya and Jed are separate people who just pinch ideas from each other!)

As for the book - I liked (and in places loved) it and yet it also left a bad taste in my mouth. It was powerful and provocative, yet some things did not sit well with me and I had some issues with the character of 'Jed'.

I suppose we have no way of knowing if it IS Adya, but in a way I kind of hope it isn't. If Adya is pretending to be Jed (or Jed pretending to be Adya?) then I can't help but feel that displays a lack of integrity. Firstly, why the need to write under a pseudonym? Why not just say what he wants to say in his 'regular job'? Why contradict your 'other' self on some quite big points? And why take this pseudonym so far as to conduct interviews as this fictional character? Does he have multiple personality disorder? Perhaps if it was admitted that the Jed character was actually just a fictional representation this wouldn't bother me, but the 'joke' was taken a bit too far.

Jed himself often came across, at least to me, as arrogant and sanctimonious at times. The constant assertions of "I'm enlightened (and one of the very very few people who are) and you're not" almost verged on egomaniacal. And maybe it's just my innate distaste for religions that claim their way is the ONLY way, but his continual tendency to tear pretty much EVERYTHING to shreds but what he was teaching left a bad taste in my mouth. Yes, it's important to recognise that so much of religion and spirituality is just dreamtime stuff, but sometimes even the densest of these can provide openings into genuine presence and awakening. Fundamentalism in any form is pretty offputting to me, and I was left with a bad taste in my mouth.

So I guess why that's why I hope this isn't Adya. If he wanted to express this then he why doesn't he do it with his public persona rather than hide behind a fictional character? Is he worried he'd lose his 'fans'? I'm not one to normally get hung up on teachers and how they conduct themselves and I let the strength of Adya's teachings speak for themselves, I've found his work to be very helpful. And I found parts of this book very helpful too.

I hope you guys won't attack me for expressing my views. I'd simply like to hear your thoughts. Contrary to what it might sound, this isn't that big a deal for me and I realise that it's entirely possible, even probable, that this Jed Mckenna is someone else altogether. It could be the elderly lady living two houses down for all I know. I'm not losing sleep over this, it just raised questions! :)
samadhi

Postby Onceler » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:55 am

You expressed some of my reservations well, samadhi. I too feel he comes off a bit arrogant (Jed). I love to read Adya and eat up his books. Reading him has been a part of my daily meditation for many months....I have no desire to read any more Jed, however....
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Next

Return to Adyashanti