How do I listen to this guided meditation by Adyashanti?

I just love Adya and I think he deserves his own forum.
steve247

How do I listen to this guided meditation by Adyashanti?

Post by steve247 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:21 am

I'm listening to a guided meditation on self-enquiry by Adyashanti. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to listen to it. He says not to listen with the mind. Does that mean not to consciously listen and think about what he's saying? When my mind is very still, do I focus on the meaning of what he's saying or do I just let my mind wander and go where it likes in the hope that the words resonate at some other level? :?

Thanks for any help/pointers. :)

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:27 pm

Let attention rest with the just words rather than struggle to understand them. That struggle to understand is what triggers getting lost in the mind. Return attention again and again to the immediacy of what he is saying when you find you've been lost in the mind. The consciousness that hears the words he speaks has its own wisdom and that will take care of everything else. It is mind's grasping for understanding that stands in the way.
When my mind is very still, do I focus on the meaning of what he's saying or do I just let my mind wander and go where it likes in the hope that the words resonate at some other level
When the mind is still what is the experience? Isn't there just a silent openness that is aware and accepting, taking everything in? That is what you are, that still, silent, open awareness. So, what to "do" when you find yourself "there"? Just "be" there - you have arrived "home" to what you are. When mind is found wandering return to the sound of the words. When there are pauses in his words then stay consciously in the pauses - no need to return to thinking, but if you find yourself thinking, that moment of clarity, that moment of noticing of words present, allows you to let go and drop back into the pause, into presence.

So, to use your words, to "consciously listen" is to be open and accepting of what is heard without reverting to thinking about meaning.

This is the exact way to go about listening in "normal" situations as well. Be wide open and accepting of everything heard - this allows the intelligence of consciousness to simply take everything in and then allow a spontaneous response from presence to flow, rather than a mind based response based on conditioning.

heidi

Post by heidi » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:01 pm

With your ears! :lol:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

steve247

Post by steve247 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:58 pm

Thanks.

All this is so abstract.

When I listen I want to understand, which then gets me thinking. I end up thinking about what he's saying and drawing comparisons with my life situation in the attempt to understand!

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm

steve247 wrote:When I listen I want to understand, which then gets me thinking. I end up thinking about what he's saying and drawing comparisons with my life situation in the attempt to understand!
And this is what he wants you to release, that wanting to understand. It is reasonable that you want to understand because that is what minds do, look for understanding, and we have been conditioned to act this way nearly all of our lives. In the realization of what you are, however, this mental effort to understand gets in the way because the mental activity that gets generated is where attention is placed.

What he is attempting to get you to do instead is to allow attention to discover awareness itself. To see what thoughts, ideas, beliefs, emotions, and physical sensations arise in. But when attention is placed on all of those things I just mentioned the underlying awareness gets missed. Recognize when mind asserts a need to understand and release that and relax into the natural state of awareness that contains everything else. Totally relax into the body and out of the gymnastics of mental grappling. Let go and "be" rather than hanging on to the mind. Give yourself permission to simply let go entirely and watch what happens.

Don't worry, the world won't end and you won't fall into an abyss - really, that's what's at the heart of not dropping the mind's natural tendency to seek understanding, an egoic fear that it will no longer exist - why? because ego is a mind based entity. Wanting to understand is really a very cleverly disguised egoic demand that ensures its survival as the dominating influence in your life.

And you're right, it is abstract because it isn't anything the mind can wrap itself around. But being abstract doesn't make it unrecognizable because it is here now always since it is what you are - that very simple pure awareness shining quietly in silence and stillness.

steve247

Post by steve247 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:49 pm

Thank you very much kiki. Very clearly explained :)

suraj

Re: How do I listen to this guided meditation by Adyashanti?

Post by suraj » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:47 am

Even I have great trouble listening to Adyashanti . His pauses are longer than even ET's and seem like eternal.
Any help ?
I AM

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:50 pm

Those pauses are excellent opportunities to regain a sense of unencumbered spaciousness. Take full advantage of them by allowing the mind to remain silent while resting in open awareness and timeless presence. It is in those pauses that ones sense of genuine being becomes clearer and may actually be more beneficial to awakening than the talks themselves.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:39 pm

The pauses are opportunities for you to recognize your own thought free state as you simply rest there. They are an externalization of your own silent awareness.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

enlighten

Post by enlighten » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:41 pm

hi all,
kiki wrote-
"What he is attempting to get you to do instead is to allow attention to discover awareness itself. To see what thoughts, ideas, beliefs, emotions, and physical sensations arise in. But when attention is placed on all of those things I just mentioned the underlying awareness gets missed. Recognize when mind asserts a need to understand and release that and relax into the natural state of awareness that contains everything else. Totally relax into the body and out of the gymnastics of mental grappling. Let go and "be" rather than hanging on to the mind. Give yourself permission to simply let go entirely and watch what happens.

Don't worry, the world won't end and you won't fall into an abyss - really, that's what's at the heart of not dropping the mind's natural tendency to seek understanding, an egoic fear that it will no longer exist - why? because ego is a mind based entity. Wanting to understand is really a very cleverly disguised egoic demand that ensures its survival as the dominating influence in your life. "

Wow ! it hit me directly like a brick of stone mortar -spot on kiki my friend :)
Thank you
En