Adya Interview (Sun Magazine)

I just love Adya and I think he deserves his own forum.

Adya Interview (Sun Magazine)

Postby Onceler » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:32 pm

The Sun magazine inteviewed Adyashanti in its December issue. It was a good interview, very thorough. I don't have a link to the interview itself, as the December issue is not posted on line yet. Here is the link to the Sun magazine; a quirky political/spiritual/literary magazine I would encourage anyone to read. I expect the December issue will be up soon.

http://www.thesunmagazine.org

Onceler
"When the fear is gone, the mind becomes much quieter, much less full of things. Thoughts become like a gentle rain rather than a thunderstorm." John Sherman
Onceler

Re: Adya interview

Postby erict » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:33 pm

Would be great if someone could get it and post it. I'd love to read it.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby Onceler » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:53 pm

I will keep an eye on the website and post it, or a link as soon as it is on the web. It is also worth, IMO, picking up the magazine if you have access....probably US bookstores.

Onceler
"When the fear is gone, the mind becomes much quieter, much less full of things. Thoughts become like a gentle rain rather than a thunderstorm." John Sherman
Onceler

Postby erict » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:34 pm

Do you think they will publish the full interview on their site?
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby Onceler » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:33 am

Yeah, that's why I put the link. They must make their money by selling back issues. They used to only publish parts of the magazine on the web, now it appears they put the whole thing there.

Onceler
Onceler

Postby Onceler » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:15 am

The Adya interview is now on line! follow this link: http://www.thesunmagazine.org. Worth the read...

Onceler
Onceler

Postby suraj » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:16 am

Thanks onceler for the link. I really loved it. Adyashanti really helped me focus on one question which I was avoiding since long.
"Why do I want enlightenment?"
I AM
suraj

Postby Onceler » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:54 pm

"Why do I want enlightenment?"

That's a very good question...I found the interview unsettling, in a good way. It helped me break up some some preconcieved notions and ask more questions. Maybe that is what you are asking as well.

Oncler
Onceler

Re: Adya Interview (Sun Magazine)

Postby erict » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:59 pm

There's an interesting part in this interview, where he talks about taking the name Adyashanti.

Safransky: Didn’t taking the name “Adyashanti” reinforce a certain sense that you are an enlightened holy man?

Adyashanti: Oh, absolutely it did. It’s sort of a ridiculous-sounding Eastern name.

Safransky: The spiritual teacher Ram Dass once told me he wanted to go back to the name Richard Alpert, but his publishers wouldn’t let him, because then he wouldn’t sell any books.

Adyashanti: [Laughs.] I always tell people to call me “Adya,” and leave the “shanti” part off.

Safransky: Do you ever regret having taken the name on?

Adyashanti: No, because it’s a vital and mysterious part of the teaching process that I don’t really understand. I resisted it for a long time, and when I finally decided to take the name, I literally didn’t tell anybody. The next time I taught, a whole new group of people showed up. The average age almost doubled, and their spiritual maturity probably tripled. I knew somehow that it was linked to my taking this name, even though nobody knew about it yet. That’s why I say I wouldn’t go back and change it, although admittedly it’s a bit embarrassing. [Laughs.]

Safransky: You don’t look very embarrassed.

Adyashanti: Over the years, I’ve learned to play with it. It’s just about as funny as any other name. When people get to know me, they see I have a certain casualness, and they kind of join in that. They know they can play with me and joke with me, and we don’t have to take each other too seriously. I guess it all works out, even with the big, fancy name.

Saunders: Is that use of humor and play an intentional part of your teachings?

Adyashanti: It’s not intentional. I just see some things as profoundly funny.

Saunders: So it emerges more from your personality.

Adyashanti: Yeah, that’s more it, although I think it’s part and parcel of being awake that you don’t take things too seriously. The thing you probably take the least seriously is yourself. I’ve heard enlightenment described as the “restoration of cosmic humor.” I think that’s a wonderful description. If you think you’re awake, but you don’t have a sense of humor, you’re probably not as awake as you imagine yourself to be. Humor comes with the knowledge that all is well.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby Elise » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:34 am

Wonderful quote - thanks Erict :D

Direct link to the interview for anyone now reading this: http://www.thesunmagazine.org/issues/38 ... this_sound
Elise

Postby Onceler » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks for updating the link, Elise. I'll have to go back and read it again.
Onceler

Return to Adyashanti