The Wisdom Of "I Don't Know" And "No-Thingness"

I just love Adya and I think he deserves his own forum.
James

Re: The Wisdom Of "I Don't Know" And "No-Thingness"

Post by James » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:23 am

As Adya often says, this is "ultimately a surrender game". There is nothing we can do to make it happen, it occurs by Grace when we stop trying. Any inquiry, merely brings us to the point of receptivity to relax into the Grace. Manna (inspiration), falls from the sky (so to speak), when we are receptive and humble. Although we can at any time bring our awareness back to the state of "I don't know". It is best not to live on yesterday's manna, as Grace unfolds fresh in its own way, from day to day. Speaking from my own experience, the mental state of "I don't know" is one of quiet receptivity, allowing the formless to move through... Awareness of Presence.

That is all I can say about this topic for now. Thanks to those that shared here.

Enjoy

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

the key master

Post by the key master » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:19 pm

I am ordering a couple Adyashanti books today, and will come back to this post in the near future.

jason

Craig

Post by Craig » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:49 am

James wrote:As Adya often says, this is "ultimately a surrender game". There is nothing we can do to make it happen, it occurs by Grace when we stop trying. Any inquiry, merely brings us to the point of receptivity to relax into the Grace.
This is a good point James, because it reminds us to not get caught up in the Great Search. One of the things I had to realize was that there was a part of me that quite badly wanted to "become" enlightened. I really wanted the experiences that Eckhart, Adya and others were having. And it actually took me some time before I could start to let that go, and basically go back to living life as I had before. I actually think about spirituality and enlightenment much less than I did in the past. It's now often more along the lines of perhaps two to three thought periods in an entire day, whereas before it would be more like ten to twenty, with some of these periods lasting for a long time.

The funny thing about it is that I haven't forgotten about spirituality and enlightenment, but it seems less pressing than it did before. I'm starting to realize that it's okay to enjoy the things in this world that I had in the past- that Maya really isn't a problem- even if I do have moments where I wonder about letting go and going back to how I was before. Perhaps "going back" isn't the best term because it implies a regression, and I don't think that's really the case, but it's the best term I have for now.
Who am I?

dutchred

Post by dutchred » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:36 am

I wonder if perhaps this statement goes to far, HL....
As such no words are Truth and what I think is not Truth and therefore I know nothing
I wonder if perhaps when one is enlightened, experiencing no separation from Source, if language is redeemed. I am thinking of that peculiar verse I Samuel 3:19: "And Samuel grew, and the Lord was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground." Could this mean that when we speak from a place of oneness with Source, or when we walk with God, to use Biblical wording, our language is no longer separate from Truth?

James' post suggests something similar to me:
There is but one intelligence, one life; all the laws of the universe proceed from the same source. Mind is but an instrument of the creative principle, not the creator itself. An unconditioned mind, free of duality and a sense of separation, is mind in its rightful state; aligned and subservient to Grace, harmonious and free.

"Be of one mind"
James, if you're reading this, I'd be interested to know the source of the quote--thanks!

Excellent discussion, all...

dutchred

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi DutchRed!
Words - I sense - don't need to be "redeemed" - they are very useful as pointers - not Truth itself but only pointing at Truth - and I sense that not only are we "walking with God" but that we ARE source ("God") creating and experiencing this our creation. We are Source having a Human Experience.
In that "Oneness of Being" there is nothing that aises that needs to be "redeemed".
Re: your quote from James - I don't think there can be any such thing as an "unconditioned mind" - and pure awareness beyond the conditioned mind of wordthoughts, in my experience, is possible :)
Peace

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:17 am

HL - You sound much like Nisargadatta Maharaj here...I assume you have read 'I am That.' Or if not, you will enjoy it.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:06 am

Yes Andy - I have - Maharaj and Yogananda and Vasistha(3700B.C.) and Tolle and Chopra - in that order -, for me, resonate very strongly. :)
Last edited by HermitLoon on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace

dutchred

Post by dutchred » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:38 am

Mmm....thank you for developing that, Hermit. My conditioned mind is feeling something in this perspective may be at odds with your definition of joy (different thread), which felt so expansive, and to me, more purely non-dualistic. But what does a conditioned mind know? :D

Since James so politely and reasonably asked that words not be parsed in this place, I'll just say "yes" to the feeling of muddledness, and see how that works out. :wink:

dutchred