The end of your world

I just love Adya and I think he deserves his own forum.

Re: The end of your world

Postby Craig » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:51 am

+Jim+ wrote:Frustration is wanting things to be other than they are - arguing with what is.
When that happens one is truly not awake!

Okay, so clarify things then: are you stating that when there's a genuine awakening one never feels frustration again? Or is that not what you're claiming?
Who am I?
Craig

Postby +Jim+ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:44 am

Craig wrote:
+Jim+ wrote:Frustration is wanting things to be other than they are - arguing with what is.

Okay, so clarify things then: are you stating that when there's a genuine awakening one never feels frustration again? Or is that not what you're claiming?

The point I was making was that there is no such reality as 'never' or 'forever'. These are concepts of thought only.
Anybody that makes forever and never statements are either mistaken or actively deceptive. So the terms abiding and non-abiding can be very misleading.
In the present, if one is frustrated, one most certainly is not currently awake.
Intellectual understanding is totally inadequate for meeting daily life.
It's like attempting to nourish yourself on the memory of yesterday's lunch!

http://simplyenlightening.wordpress.com/about/
+Jim+

Postby Craig » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:06 am

+Jim+ wrote:
Craig wrote:

The point I was making was that there is no such reality as 'never' or 'forever'. These are concepts of thought only.
Anybody that makes forever and never statements are either mistaken or actively deceptive. So the terms abiding and non-abiding can be very misleading.
In the present, if one is frustrated, one most certainly is not currently awake.

In other words, in the instant of the feeling of frustration, one is not awake. Tell me if I've gone off track here, but that seems to imply either that Adya isn't awake (or at least, he wasn't when he felt frustration) or that in the instant of frustration arising, identification has occurred and one is not awake at that particular moment, but only for as long as the frustration remains.
Who am I?
Craig

Postby +Jim+ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:41 am

In other words, in the instant of the feeling of frustration, one is not awake.

The thought that states that things should be different, is the source of, and so precedes the feeling of frustration.
If one believes that thought, or accepts it as true, then there will be frustration.

Tell me if I've gone off track here, but that seems to imply either that Adya isn't awake (or at least, he wasn't when he felt frustration) or that in the instant of frustration arising,

It doesn't just imply, this is a 100% fact, anyone experiencing frustration in the moment is not awake in that moment.
Awake would mean seeing things exactly as they are, and that includes seeing the falseness of a thought that says things should be different.

identification has occurred and one is not awake at that particular moment, but only for as long as the frustration remains.

I don't see how it is clarifying to use the phrase "identification has occurred"......what has identified with what?
It is just simply that a thought has arisen that hasn't been seen for the untruth that it is.... the result in this case is frustration.

This last part is very interesting.....
If no other thoughts are being believed, then as soon as this most recent thought about 'things should be different', is seen for the lie that it is, then one returns to being awake. But most people haven't investigated all the thoughts that they believe, and the central one is about the story of 'me', and the movement of becoming in time.
This central belief about 'me' and the idea of becoming, actually affects the way life is perceived, as it creates a mercenary movement that is always looking for "what's in it for me?" "what can I gain, what can I lose?" - simply put, fear and greed.
This distorted way of perceiving the world makes it very easy to accept erroneous thoughts about what should and shouldn't be.
Intellectual understanding is totally inadequate for meeting daily life.
It's like attempting to nourish yourself on the memory of yesterday's lunch!

http://simplyenlightening.wordpress.com/about/
+Jim+

Postby peleke4 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:50 pm

DWBH1953 wrote:A faker might be careful to conceal his experiences with thought identifications from computer use. Adya's teachings level with his students regarding the awakening process, imperfections, mythology, etc. My dishonesty alarms haven't rung yet. I heard the interview regarding the computer frustration and abiding awakening. He implies a nearly certain permanent awakening for himself but does not absolutely claim knowing full freedom from mind identification in the future. Frankly, I resonate more strongly with Katie's statement that there is no such thing as permanent enlightenment because that implies knowledge of the future.

It could be as simple as Adya considering recognizing as false thoughts about computers as relatively slower than other thoughts from his own perspective (not necessarily as compared to his past unawakened self). Really, can you see him slamming his keyboard around? He also says those thoughts are quickly recognized. But who knows. I still intend to listen to his teaching.

It is good to keep listening, all I can say about Adya is that he have a great stage appeal and a wonderful talker and is very intelligent you put those 3 things together and he would do well in selling anything including non duality. Only the person that says they are awake can tell you if its true or not and also error as there are people who have convinced themselves they are awake and are not.
I do feel that awakening is a process and continues on.
My gut feeling is Adya is not faking but he is also not all that is claimed to be and I could be wrong. He makes bundles of money now and his group is getting very large and is mostly the case when people grow so fast so quick something changes and it becomes more about the money, the organization than about just sharing truth.
Peace
Randji[/quote]

I was checking out a youtube clip of Adya talking about law of attraction (it's entitled "Adyashanti talks about the secret" if you want to check it out). From what I remember, he said that the ONLY thing he would ever manifest are parking spaces. He said something like one's actions should flow through you as opposed to action by ego. But as he was talking about this, the thought crossed my mind that perhaps Adya intended and manifested all the success he has today. I realized that although we'll never know, it is possible.

I checked out Adya in San Diego last month. It crossed my mind that perhaps some parts of the question/answer portions were scripted. For instance, a questioner pointed out that although he was more present-oriented, he still had the tendency to get "velcro'd" by the thought that his life would be much better if he were in a relationship. The talk between
Adya and the questioner was VERY entertaining and engaging; there were a lot of laughs in the audience. A couple of questioners vouched for Adya's CD/DVD's. And the man on the microphone at the end of the satsang said something like, "If you didn't give a donation, please do so on your way out." I thought it was odd how he said this in such a firm tone.

Even though I love Adyashanti and his resources helped me tremendously, I still like to look at things with an open-mind as opposed to a narrow view. The thoughts that went through my head above are just thoughts. I have absolutely no idea whether or not Adya manifested his success via "secret" route or whether or not the question/answer portions were scripted. I really don't care. Again, those were just thoughts flowing through my head. And although those thoughts passed through, Adya remains on my top three list.
peleke4

Postby Sighclone » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:33 am

Still in my top three, too. The interview with him in the 2003 book "The Sacred Mirror" by Prendergast is very interesting also...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Previous

Return to Adyashanti